StudentsReview :: Santa Fe College - Comments and Student Experiences

Santa Fe College

Overall, Santa Fe College is pretty good

Sep 03 2013Art & Design Department
Overall, Santa Fe College is pretty good. If you aren't ready to go to a Four-year university, SF is good for that. Majority of the teachers are nice. The campus is well maintain and the library is open for the students after class. The courses aren't that hard and its easy to learn your way around campus. There is not that many choices in food on campus. Only Domino's, Subway, Starbucks, and a Mexican grill place. Other than that, you have to drive or ride a bus to shopping centers and restaurants. Santa Fe is secluded from downtown, shops, and night life. It's about ten-fifteen minutes away from UF area. Most students are nice but there are a lot of snooty students who only talk to their clique. There are a lot of die-hard Gator fans, so don't wear their rival colors! If you aren't in a clique you will mostly be a loner unless you find a few students here and there who are down-to-earth. There are some ghetto people too but most of them won't bother you unless you look like someone they can pick on or hassle with. Over all, Santa Fe College is great, just avoid the trouble makers and the snobs who don't like talking to outsiders. There are lots of activities on campus and Zumba and a school gym and zoo. (Free for students!) Bus rides are free too.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2017
Campus Maintenance: A+, Surrounding City: D-

As a transfer student, I was very excited

May 31 2013Other
As a transfer student, I was very excited to finish my degree at SF and get into UF. Unfortunately, I had to leave this school after only 2 semesters and finish my degree at my other college. I should have stayed at my old school the entire time and saved myself A LOT of stress, time, and money. I'm only giving a positive rating bcuz despite everything I went through here I still met some very nice professors/staff that went out of their way to address any concerns I had.

The campus is pretty nice size so you feel like you are at a univ sometimes when you are walking around. There are really a lot of things to do if you want to get involved but most students already have their own friends. I personally did not care about making friends bcuz I came here to finish my degree and get out.

There is a zoo on campus. I went to it when I first moved here but never went again. It's ok.

I am a pretty serious student and I did not enjoy my time here at all bcuz of problems with the financial aid office. Literally EVERY time I was owed my federal aid I had to wait even longer bcuz of some ridiculous event. The worst one was a financial aid employee deleted my entire degree which held the processing of my aid for so long that I didn't even have food for a few days. I noticed this 2 weeks after an appointment, and as I'm standing in line waiting to ask some1 what is going on, the person responsible is laughing with a group of friends going out to lunch. I never even got an apology from anyone there, and had to wait an additional 2 weeks after my degree was recovered, and this is after I already waited for several weeks before that!

Despite my terrible experience here I still got into UF so overall this was a positive experience for me but not bcuz of Santa Fe. Take advantage of the college fairs so you can get out of here asap!

1st Year Male -- Class 2013
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Useful Schoolwork: D+

I was a transfer student, going into the

Jun 30 2013Zoology
I was a transfer student, going into the Zoo Animal Science Program at Santa Fe. First off, as a transfer student depending on financial aid, I had problems receiving my money every single semester I went, with the exact same problems each time! Secondly, the Teaching Zoo is a JOKE. Maybe it used to be a quality place for people to train to be zookeepers but now, under the new director, Jonathon Miot, the program has become nothing more than a cash cow for the main college. Unless you are a straight A academic student, you might as well not even bother attending because they will fail you any way they can. But, if you are a straight A student, they will overlook every wrong thing you do. For example, we had a student that was straight A academically but a terrible zoo worker. He let one of our ocelots out into the keeper area, left our gibbons out in the sun for the entire day during 98 degree weather, let our parrots eat a rubber hose he left in the enclosure, and constantly screwed up making animals' diets and HE STILL PASSED. On the other side, one student was a phenominal worker, but was failed by one tenth of a point because they didn't like that he had tattoos and was an okay academic student. The students there are as bad as the teachers in that they are arrogant, discriminate openly, and have no problems lying or throwing people under the bus to save themselves. I would never go back to that program as long as it stays like this. They are pushing out straight A students just to say their program is that good but the students that pass are not good workers. After leaving that program and applying for several internships and jobs, I found out from those institutions, that most zoos actually look down on Santa Fe students because of how arrogant, and lazy they actually are. The only plus side I could say about the Zoo Program is that the animals were really cool and all had their own unique personalities that made them a blast to work with, and that the zoo's curator Kathy Russell is an amazing woman, she is a jane goodall type woman who cares more of the care of the animals in the zoo than of the name of the program. Even with her around, I would still tell anyone interested in attending the zoo program to pass this place up! If you are looking for a good school to go to, to get a degree in zoo animal science, go to Friends University in Kansas, its a bachelors (which most zoos require) and the teachers there actually care about the quality of their students.
1st Year Male -- Class 2017