StudentsReview :: St Petersburg College - Comments and Student Experiences

St Petersburg College

Trying to get my Master Promissory Note acceptedBrightOther
Trying to get my Master Promissory Note accepted by SPC, 3rd time submitted it. Financial Aid at any campus or phone can be compared to talking to the village idiot; none of their "counselors" have a clue. They might be able to buy a clue with my loan money they don't seem to know anything about. Counselors don't seem to know any of the answers unless they ask someone else because they don't have access to the answer. Never have I been enrolled in a school that doesn't have a specific admissions or financial aid counselor who doesn't only work on your case; it's like cattle call at the ranch...first come, first serve. These so-called counselors have no idea what to do or tell you because they 'just don't know the answer, let me ask someone else'. Very disorganized school, online program even more disorganized. FIND A BETTER SCHOOL THAN THIS ONE!!
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Faculty Accessibility: B, Education Quality: F
I graduated using pell grant money.Computer Science
I graduated using pell grant money. My degree name was changed 1-2 months before hand - I guess they can do what they want, but the new name sounded bogus like a certificate. They also screwed up my GPA so at graduation time I didn't get the gold ropes for Honors. Afterward, I had to make a few phone call to get it corrected - I got the ropes in the mail but it is not the same - Thank you so much you retards. Also, the counselors at Cl-campus did not give good advice or help me plan for a higher education. All I wanted to know is what classes and what degree should I be enrolled in to get a B.S in Computer Science-they couldn't do it properly so I wasted many credits and pell grant money. Now I can no longer get this grant because my credits are too much. As far as getting a job after graduating, they have no connections to the outside world, a reference from a teacher didn't seem to help. The job cork board had like six posts-and a not so helpful student that runs it. No job fairs-no chance of internship.So, new plan is to go to USF with current situation and finish there.
When I attended SPJC, they were just startingPsychology
When I attended SPJC, they were just starting to prepare to become SPC. This school did prepare me for college (B/A Psychology USF), but the professors that taught college algebra for math majors were incompetent . My academic adviser had to read notes on how to use a computer while registering me for classes and they were biased about the math professors, and I was told to take a college math course that I was not supposed to take. Psychology deals with states not math for business majors. The 2 math professors that had their Master's made me feel and spoke to me like I was not college material ( they should have known that I should have been in a different class, but they let bang my head against the brick wall of their making) The professors would only ask you if you had any questions about the homework and that was it; they refused to show you how to work the problems; the questions on the test were nothing like the questions on our homework . When I demanded that a professor work a problem on the board, he put a question on the midterm that no one in the class could answer. In psychology this would be considered a "Bad item" and it would be removed from the test score.The professor did not and it intimidated the other students; in my opinion they were punished because I asked too many questions. The students tuition pay the professors salaries right? Should they(students) get what they pay for?

When I finally took the math class that I was supposed totake. I made the 3rd highest score in the class rather than flunking or making a D. I have no respect for these 2 professors and one them should have not complained about me (mentioning me by name at her church to my next door neighbor); they would also criticize the other math professor saying she was just showing you how to use a calculator and was incompetent. I was in my late thirties when was in their class and I now know that they knew I saw right thru their B.S. ALL OTHER CLASSES I TOOK AT SPJC WERE TOP NOTCH AND I FEEL THAT I GOT A TRUE EDUCATION AND WAS INSPIRED TO CONTINUE MY EDUCATION. The math dept was a joke and the tutoring lab was only interested in talking about Jesus and how Harry Potter was satanic, and when I complained, I was NEVER OFFERED ANY HELP after that. I stop going to the lab when I spent 2 hours there and no even spoke to me. I finally graduated and got the hell out of there. I graduated from USF with a 4.0 in 2008 with 2 semesters of independent study in the psych dept. It was a breeze compared to SPC.

Virginia Commonwealth University (VA) 1:negative