StudentsReview :: St Petersburg College - Comments and Student Experiences

St Petersburg College

When I attended SPJC, they were just startingBrightPsychology
When I attended SPJC, they were just starting to prepare to become SPC. This school did prepare me for college (B/A Psychology USF), but the professors that taught college algebra for math majors were incompetent . My academic adviser had to read notes on how to use a computer while registering me for classes and they were biased about the math professors, and I was told to take a college math course that I was not supposed to take. Psychology deals with states not math for business majors. The 2 math professors that had their Master's made me feel and spoke to me like I was not college material ( they should have known that I should have been in a different class, but they let bang my head against the brick wall of their making) The professors would only ask you if you had any questions about the homework and that was it; they refused to show you how to work the problems; the questions on the test were nothing like the questions on our homework . When I demanded that a professor work a problem on the board, he put a question on the midterm that no one in the class could answer. In psychology this would be considered a "Bad item" and it would be removed from the test score.The professor did not and it intimidated the other students; in my opinion they were punished because I asked too many questions. The students tuition pay the professors salaries right? Should they(students) get what they pay for?

When I finally took the math class that I was supposed totake. I made the 3rd highest score in the class rather than flunking or making a D. I have no respect for these 2 professors and one them should have not complained about me (mentioning me by name at her church to my next door neighbor); they would also criticize the other math professor saying she was just showing you how to use a calculator and was incompetent. I was in my late thirties when was in their class and I now know that they knew I saw right thru their B.S. ALL OTHER CLASSES I TOOK AT SPJC WERE TOP NOTCH AND I FEEL THAT I GOT A TRUE EDUCATION AND WAS INSPIRED TO CONTINUE MY EDUCATION. The math dept was a joke and the tutoring lab was only interested in talking about Jesus and how Harry Potter was satanic, and when I complained, I was NEVER OFFERED ANY HELP after that. I stop going to the lab when I spent 2 hours there and no even spoke to me. I finally graduated and got the hell out of there. I graduated from USF with a 4.0 in 2008 with 2 semesters of independent study in the psych dept. It was a breeze compared to SPC.

Starting Job: Owner; Preparedness: F Reputation: F
I've been taking classes for 18 years tryingBrightEducation
I've been taking classes for 18 years trying to complete my degree. I have seen this school deteriorate within the past eight. The use of third party systems online has created so many problems on a technical level and students are hired for the IT department and often are not friendly or do not care enough to fix the problems. The school has cut the number of permanent professors and uses a large number of adjuncts who work full time jobs at other locations and rarely have the time or energy to devote to teaching their students. Less classes are being offered than were five years ago and sometimes you must travel very far to another campus to take one course. If you work full time they expect you to take on the workload of a full time student. Some assignments you will only have three days during the week to complete. They use the latest technology but some students can not afford much of these programs and software. No sooner than I purchased a new computer they upgraded their systems. It takes time to hunt down computers that can work so that you can submit an assignment. They still do dissections for science courses despite the poor quality of most the animals being dissected and the lack of use given the introduction to epigenetics in laboratory testing which has replaced this requirement in real world jobs. Universities such as UF and Miami University have developed programs without these outdated practices. The busy work and reliance on group projects is astonishing. I can not emphasize the number of panic attacks I have had over doing a group project when members of the group drop the class or fail to communicate. I have also had to file complaints against two teachers in which nothing was done. One teacher opening insulted and ridiculed his students and another took over the class after another teacher was fired for not teacher after six weeks. We were expected to make up all the work, could not redo our first practical, were required to purchase specific types of paper and pencils, he did not follow the written syllabus but would give verbal demands, and we were not allowed the opportunity to drop without a refund. Currently, I am using the G.I. Bill. A year ago I submitted a form for a degree change from Biology to Education in Biology. I received a confirmation email but the paperwork was never filed. This semester will be over next week and I have still not received my money for my G.I. Bill because I am waiting on the paperwork to be filed. The courses I'm taking require a lot of busy work which is not relevant to the material we are being tested on. The stress of having to add financial matters on top of my already stressful workload is completely unnecessary. I would not recommend this school for anyone. If you can, find a better school such as USF.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2017
Surrounding City: A+, Useful Schoolwork: F
I'm at SPC and currently in pre-nursing.BrightNursing
I'm at SPC and currently in pre-nursing. I personally think SPC is a great place to attend. I'm going to the Gibbs campus and having a beyond wonderful experience. So far I've been to both financial aid office and administration. They're usually fairly nice, but can be very busy at times. Overall I would defiantly recommend to go there.
Campus Aesthetics: A+, University Resource Use: F

Palm Beach State College (FL) 1:negative

Mid America Christian University (OK) 1:neutral

University of Dallas (TX) 1:negative

University of Alaska Fairbanks (AK) 1:negative

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→