StudentsReview :: Saint Leo University - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA
Saint Thomas University -- Miami, FL
Saint Joseph College -- West Hartford, CT

Saint Leo University

I enjoyed my time at SLU

May 27 2014Unknown
I enjoyed my time at SLU. I attended an offsite campus in Virginia and Distance Learning. It's great to have like-minded students working along side you. Because I attended offsite, I had an opportunity to study with working adults, instead of teenagers right out of high school. While I am happy to report that I enjoyed the majority of my classmates, there were some issues. This is primarily an African-American College, and the University caters to these individuals. I am not racist and do not mind being submerged in a different culture, but at times, being the only caucasian in a classroom, I was exempted from many class discussions. This made some of the classes very akward.

The faculty is helpful most of the times. All of the office staff is willing to help you as soon as you call them. If you call and they are not in the office, you can leave a message, and they will call you right back. Some of the instructors are a little harder to get a hold of. The religion classes are a must and sometimes the religion professors will take their own view points and preach to the class their doctrine (not Catholic), instead of teaching the facts. To each his own though. Other instructors are very vague in their instructions and will not tell you if you are right or wrong until a mid term or final exam.I know I put a lot of negatives, but really SLU is a good college and I would recommend going to this school to working adults. As for high school seniors, try to find another university that will give you more of a college experience.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2014
Education Quality: A+, Scholastic Success: D+

The school itself was

May 16 2014Other
The school itself was... okay. However, the social life sucked. Everyone seemed the same: extremely self-oriented. A lot of kids who come here are pretty greedy, and coniving. Guys are crazy selfish, while the chicks were super arrogant and manipulative. Almost as if most of the people fit the negative stereotype of "rich college kids". It came to the point whereas I would judge students by how they carried themselves. And mot to my surprise, many fulfilled my skepticism concerning the matter. Pretty ironic since we live in a society that constantly pressures us not to do so. The social system also seemed very cliquish. If something went wrong with two people, someone was going to get dropped from the entire group like an old broken computer or something. I felt like no one cared about anything but themselves and themselves alone. I dont want to be like that, so I will pursue my life's development elsewhere. However, to each his own. Goodluck. TBWSP.
1st Year Male -- Class 2017
Campus Aesthetics: A+, University Resource Use: F

The classroom format I liked, but sadly that

Jun 10 2014Business - Management and Administration
The classroom format I liked, but sadly that is the only positive about this school. Staff are rude and unhelpful. The university makes you jump through hoops for the most trivial requests. For example, I am filling out AMCAS for medical school application. Because I took a few classes with Saint Leo, I need to enter that information into my application. I simply need an unofficial transcript in order to see the class names and grades. For all other schools I've attended, this has been easy to obtain. I can either log in and view online, or they promptly sent me a copy via e-mail. Saint Leo's primitive method of attaining this simple information has brought my progress to a screeching halt. I have to wait for it to come via snail mail, as this is the only method they use. Also, they do not print unofficial transcripts, the only way for me to view it is to have another official transcript (with fee of course) sent to my house. Every person I talked to about it was extremely rude. In addition, when I tried to drop a class I was having computer difficulties. I sent a request to their helpdesk (I was not in the country and unable to call) a week before the drop deadline. I did not get a response until the day after the deadline (of course). Any attempts to address the situation were met with the same incredibly rude, uncaring response I received with my transcript request. I can't believe an educational institution is run this way. The best decision I've made about my education was to stop attending this school once I realized what a sham it is. I hope to save you the trouble. Please keep searching for a quality school, this is not it.
1st Year Male -- Class 2014