StudentsReview :: Stetson University - Comments and Student Experiences

Rollins College -- Winter Park, FL

Stetson University

When I was looking at colleges I heard

Jul 21 2010Biology
When I was looking at colleges I heard great things about Stetson's biology department and so far I have not been disappointed. Actually, it is even better than I expected. I love my biology classes and all of my professors.

Besides the biology department I have never had a problem with any other professor either. Sure there have been some that I have liked less than others... but thats natural.

The most important thing to me is that I am a NAME, not a number. I see my professors outside class ALL THE TIME and I always at least say hello, and usually stop and have a full conversation.

The only complaint I do have abot Stetson is sometimes I wish we had more dining options. Which, actually I have heard that they are adding more this summer. SO thats exciting!

2nd Year Female -- Class 2012
Scholastic Success: A+, Useful Schoolwork: F

The only issue I have with Stetson University

May 24 2010Sociology
The only issue I have with Stetson University is the fact that it is not very well known outside of Florida, a fact that comes inevitably with its small size. The faculty are fantastic, the students are diverse, leadership and volunteer opportunities abound, and most of the classes are outstanding and intellectually challenging. They offer an incredible study abroad program. Their library is quite small, but online resources are plentiful and the librarians are always willing to help.If you're going to college to party or only to earn more money in the future, Stetson might not be the right place for you. There are some people like that here, but the faculty push the fact that college is for personal and intellectual growth, for exploration of your passions and interests, and to help you become a better, more well-rounded individual who is capable of making a significant contribution to the community (yes, this is a current student speaking!). So if you're going to slack off and waste my and my professors' time, apply elsewhere, please.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2012
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Social Life: B

Stetson is small, but what we lack in

Jul 21 2010PreVet and Veterinary
Stetson is small, but what we lack in size we make up for in academics, student involvement, a beautiful campus and amazing faculty-student relationships. Stetson is not a party school. If you're hoping to party and be crazy all the time and attempt to take easy classes scheduled around your social life, this is not the school for you. If you actually want to be challenged and receive an amazing education- this IS the school for you. The course work is time consuming and requires a lot effort, but its worth it (at least for me).

The biology department is my absolute favorite thing about Stetson!!!! I love our professors and I have honestly enjoyed every single biology class I have taken so far. I love walking down the hallway and knowing where EVERY PROFESSOR'S office is, and that they are willing to stop what they are doing and help me for a few minutes, without an appointment! Even professors whom I have never actually had class with before have helped me when I really needed it (try getting that kind of personal attention at a larger public school!).

We're not JUST about academics though (we're not a bunch of nerds!) As a Stetson Student you don't just attend classes and take tests. We are encouraged to get involved in other areas on campus including; religious life, greek-life; sporting events, volunteering, etc.

Even though our campus is small... we are active! We have so many student organizations and clubs I can't even keep track, and most students are involved in at least 1, if not 2-3 of these groups. We're very active in the DeLand community as well (lots of local businesses give Stetson Student Discounts!).

3rd Year Female -- Class 2011