StudentsReview ™ :: Stetson University - Comments and Student Experiences

Elon University -- Elon College, NC
Rollins College -- Winter Park, FL

Stetson University

Stetson is small, but what we lack in

Jul 21 2010PreVet and Veterinary
Stetson is small, but what we lack in size we make up for in academics, student involvement, a beautiful campus and amazing faculty-student relationships. Stetson is not a party school. If you're hoping to party and be crazy all the time and attempt to take easy classes scheduled around your social life, this is not the school for you. If you actually want to be challenged and receive an amazing education- this IS the school for you. The course work is time consuming and requires a lot effort, but its worth it (at least for me).

The biology department is my absolute favorite thing about Stetson!!!! I love our professors and I have honestly enjoyed every single biology class I have taken so far. I love walking down the hallway and knowing where EVERY PROFESSOR'S office is, and that they are willing to stop what they are doing and help me for a few minutes, without an appointment! Even professors whom I have never actually had class with before have helped me when I really needed it (try getting that kind of personal attention at a larger public school!).

We're not JUST about academics though (we're not a bunch of nerds!) As a Stetson Student you don't just attend classes and take tests. We are encouraged to get involved in other areas on campus including; religious life, greek-life; sporting events, volunteering, etc.

Even though our campus is small... we are active! We have so many student organizations and clubs I can't even keep track, and most students are involved in at least 1, if not 2-3 of these groups. We're very active in the DeLand community as well (lots of local businesses give Stetson Student Discounts!).

3rd Year Female -- Class 2011
Education Quality: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: A-

The only issue I have with Stetson University

May 24 2010Sociology
The only issue I have with Stetson University is the fact that it is not very well known outside of Florida, a fact that comes inevitably with its small size. The faculty are fantastic, the students are diverse, leadership and volunteer opportunities abound, and most of the classes are outstanding and intellectually challenging. They offer an incredible study abroad program. Their library is quite small, but online resources are plentiful and the librarians are always willing to help.If you're going to college to party or only to earn more money in the future, Stetson might not be the right place for you. There are some people like that here, but the faculty push the fact that college is for personal and intellectual growth, for exploration of your passions and interests, and to help you become a better, more well-rounded individual who is capable of making a significant contribution to the community (yes, this is a current student speaking!). So if you're going to slack off and waste my and my professors' time, apply elsewhere, please.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2012
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Social Life: B

The reviews on here are pretty funny

Apr 20 2010Business - Management and Administration
The reviews on here are pretty funny. Honestly don't base your opinions on the school through these random naysayers. Stetson truly is pretty awesome, it is extremely underrated. Coming from New York City, I felt that I really would not like Stetson very much and would find myself bored all the time. At first my feelings didn't really change but after a few weeks I started realizing that this place isn't bad at all.

There is always stuff to do and most of it is actually entertaining and fun. That includes both school provided activities and just other general stuff to do. The town of Deland really isn't that bad either. The two main bars in town are not really, "hick bars." Maybe if you go like Friday night but Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday night are a crazy amount of fun. I mean and if you're ever bored, there's always enough drunk college girls jumping around the stripper pole at half time (one of the two main bars) to keep you at least somewhat entertained. And I mean, considering that I grew from New York and don't mind the bars should really mean something...

The classes really aren't that bad, the work load is somewhere about in the middle - not too hard but not a breeze either. The teachers are INCREDIBLY helpful and a good thing is that they don't smother you; meaning like since the classes are small you would think it would suck because they could keep on eye on you all the time and know when you don't come to class etc. but they truly don't think like that. You really aren't a number in a class, so if you ever need to take a test at a different time, or really if you do very bad on a test or had some kind of problem, you could probably talk to your teacher and they might come up with some kind of re-take or extra credit or something.Overall don't listen to these reviews, it's a lot of fun, there really isn't too much drama and everyone is pretty accepting. Yes there are some cliques and whatnot but it's nowhere near as bad as most high schools and exclusion really isn't much of a problem. Also, the fraternities and sororities are pretty chill (btw any guys reading this, rush Pi Kappa Alpha, sweet, thanks) All of the sororities are chill and even the few that used to be considered lame are now on the move up so pretty much all of the sororities are on the same level. Just come visit and see for yourself, it's a pretty sweet deal going on here...seriously.

1st Year Male -- Class 2013