StudentsReview :: Stetson University - Comments and Student Experiences

Rollins College -- Winter Park, FL

Stetson University

I'm so happy that I escaped Stetson

Nov 14 2009Biology
I'm so happy that I escaped Stetson. My freshman year I was told to look at the students around me, for within 1 semester they all will have transferred to another school. And they did, including me.

If you don't participate in Greeklife, forget having a social life. Deland is the most boring place on the planet, and it doesn't help that 90% of the student go home on the weekend. Stetson turns into a ghost town once Friday rolls around. My number one advice, join a sorority or fraternity even if they dues are insanely expensive.

The classes were ok, even though choice was VERY limited. There's about 1 teacher per subject, but what do you expect going to a university smaller than your high school? I did really like my teachers. They were very dynamic and engaging and I learned a ton. Some departments are better than others. The biology department and premed program wasn't the greatest though, being the number one reason why I transfered. The new university I'm at has an excellent biology and premed program which is fully preparing me for medical school.

While applying to Stetson, they made it seem as though they only accept the best of the best and they have really bright students. Not true. First day of class I casually asked other students what they scored on the SAT or ACT. Utter crap scores. They accept ANYONE!!!! Anyone who is willing to pay the tuition is accepted.

My dorm building was so old and I was horribly allergic to it. What appeared to be black mold lingered on my air vents so I had to buy a pricey air purifier just to breath. There was 2 toilets per 30 girls and 3 showers. Toilets were constantly clogged, shower curtains ripped down, and no soap or toilet paper. Once they even put up signs that they were charging students for flushing tampons down the toilet.

Oh Stetson, I don't miss you one bit : )

1st Year Female -- Class 2013
Scholastic Success: A, Education Quality: F

This is a great

Oct 07 2009Music - Performance
This is a great University with an amazing School of Music. The Teachers are wonderful and you leave feeling as if you have spent your money well!
3rd Year Male -- Class 2010
Education Quality: A+, Campus Maintenance: B+

Academics: Teachers are generally very knowledgeable but tea

Jan 05 2010Business - Management and Administration
Academics: Teachers are generally very knowledgeable but teach very little and expect a lot from students. Classes are small which is beneficial. Advisors don't do much actual advising/give little direction. Business school is good, I hear music is fantastic. Tutors not very helpful. Library is more of a social scene, not a place to study.

Athletics: Division I sports, but conference is small and not very good. Baseball was once a top team, but no longer performs to that level- the team is full of a bunch of big headed mediocre athletes. Tennis and softball are good. Basketball and soccer are descent-men's soccer won A-Sun this year. Volleyball is miserable. Athletic events are not very big, so if you're into school spirit, Stetson is not for you.

Social Life: Greek life is huge on campus: Fraternities seems descent, I don't recommend joining a sorority-not a single one has a good reputation on campus. There are two junkie, hick bars downtown. Daytona and Orlando are close, but it's still quite a hike. Everyone knows everything about everyone. There is tons of drama on campus; rumors, both true and false, spread like wildfire. It's just like high school and the entire campus is divided into cliques. The only way to survive Stetson socially, is to drink your way through the five years there.

Campus: Workout facilities are terrible, I needed my own gym membership off campus. People on campus have no respect for facilities- cleaning people should not have to clean up such a mess. Very small campus. Dorms are very old and need to be renovated. Everyone lives on campus which is nice. Baseball field is beautiful- clearly where all the money goes. Gym facilities need to be renovated. Pretty campus, but needs to be redone, it's too old.I am from the Northeast and was looking to escape the cold weather while receiving my degree. Yes, Stetson is in "sunny" florida, but this is not the place to go to escape the snow. The weather can be nice, but DeLand gets a lot colder than most of Florida. Go further South!

1st Year Female -- Class 2012