StudentsReview ™ :: The University of Florida - Comments and Student Experiences

Florida State University -- Tallahassee, FL
Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University -- Tallahassee, FL
University of Central Florida -- Orlando, FL

The University of Florida

When I graduated from UF and went to

Feb 28 2014History/Histories (art history/etc.)
When I graduated from UF and went to Grad School I thought I might be behind what grads. of private schools would know. It turns out I had read more and more in depth than any of my private school grad. friends. My education at UF both in History and Romance Languages was outstanding and has served me well even now just two years short of retirement. I have never lacked for employment in my chosen field: college professor.
Starting Job: College professor Preparedness: A+ Reputation: B+

I had a hard time adjusting

Jan 02 2014Philosophy
I had a hard time adjusting. I won't exaggerate on my social skills, nor will I preface this comment with "I was well-adjusted and happy before I came here" comments. Fellow reviewers and surveyors on this site have cause to assume, based on information, provided that I had personal issues prior to coming to this school. And they would be justified at insinuating this. But the truth must be said: I really did not like this school. And I don't expect anyone else serious about learning to like this place either. I can run different scenarios in my head, like I did prior to attending this school, of how positively things might have been, if I only did x to beget y. I still catch myself doing this pathetic act from time to time. But I have to remember that unless you are independent enough to, despite great faults, master your environment, you will become slave to it. And I fear that if a student doesn't properly reflect and plan before entering UF, that this kind of emotionally and intellectually-deprived serfdom will inevitably become their end. It's not all bad. There are chances to improve if you so decide. The thing is not one of the administrators, faculty, or peers will replace a developed and emboldened sense of self needed to combat the pangs of self-doubt and mild depression you will likely develop after your first failures at this school. So if you suspect yourself to be contemplative, dour and non-conforming by temperament, either create an acceptable shell-self to present to others with, or flee this place immediately by all accounts.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2014
Faculty Accessibility: B+, Individual Value: F

I don't think there's anyone in the world

Nov 11 2013Business - Management and Administration
I don't think there's anyone in the world who would not find a place here. There are so many types of people and so many opportunities. For most schools, there is a certain type of person you should be in order to be happy. Here, you can pretty much always find your niche no matter what type of person you are. Yes, your life will be easier if you are into greek life because that is a huge part of the social life here. But if you're not interested, it's really not a big deal. I originally thought I wasn't that type of person so I didn't rush. Then I tried it out, and after being a part of a sorority for about a month I realized I'm not that type of person and I'm not right for a sorority and that's okay. You don't have to be a part of greek life to be happy here. You can be any kind of person and find your place. Plus, the academics here are incredible. Every program is a top program in the country. The workload is difficult but manageable, and it isn't busywork. It is work that will actually help you succeed in life after college. I love it here, I think there are few other schools in the country that offer so many opportunities in absolutely every regard from social to academic to beyond campus. It's pretty awesome and anyone would love it.
Education Quality: A+, Faculty Accessibility: B-