StudentsReview :: The University of Florida - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Central Florida -- Orlando, FL

The University of Florida

Oct 12 2014Animal Studies
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
The University of Florida did absolutely nothing for me. I have spent the last four years drowning myself in awful classes with professors that don't value my personal input. Everyone here is from Florida so you have that typical racist Southern attitude towards everything. I can't wait to leave and the University's administration does absolutely nothing to alleviate the kind of close minded environment.
4th Year Female -- Class 2018
Social Life: A+, Faculty Accessibility: F
Feb 28 2014History/Histories (art history/etc.)
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
When I graduated from UF and went to Grad School I thought I might be behind what grads. of private schools would know. It turns out I had read more and more in depth than any of my private school grad. friends. My education at UF both in History and Romance Languages was outstanding and has served me well even now just two years short of retirement. I have never lacked for employment in my chosen field: college professor.
Starting Job: College professor Preparedness: A+ Reputation: B+
Jan 02 2014Philosophy
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I had a hard time adjusting. I won't exaggerate on my social skills, nor will I preface this comment with "I was well-adjusted and happy before I came here" comments. Fellow reviewers and surveyors on this site have cause to assume, based on information, provided that I had personal issues prior to coming to this school. And they would be justified at insinuating this. But the truth must be said: I really did not like this school. And I don't expect anyone else serious about learning to like this place either. I can run different scenarios in my head, like I did prior to attending this school, of how positively things might have been, if I only did x to beget y. I still catch myself doing this pathetic act from time to time. But I have to remember that unless you are independent enough to, despite great faults, master your environment, you will become slave to it. And I fear that if a student doesn't properly reflect and plan before entering UF, that this kind of emotionally and intellectually-deprived serfdom will inevitably become their end. It's not all bad. There are chances to improve if you so decide. The thing is not one of the administrators, faculty, or peers will replace a developed and emboldened sense of self needed to combat the pangs of self-doubt and mild depression you will likely develop after your first failures at this school. So if you suspect yourself to be contemplative, dour and non-conforming by temperament, either create an acceptable shell-self to present to others with, or flee this place immediately by all accounts.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2014