StudentsReview :: The University of Florida - Comments and Student Experiences

Florida State University -- Tallahassee, FL
Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University -- Tallahassee, FL
University of Central Florida -- Orlando, FL

The University of Florida

Please, save yourself the time, money, and frustrationBrightMechanical Engineering
Please, save yourself the time, money, and frustration that that this school will cause you. I didn't start off as an engineering student, but I knew that I might end up trying it and wanted to go somewhere with a good engineering school. This school was the wrong choice? all the professors care about is research. I?d say less than 10% of the professors I?ve had here actually care about the students and teaching. Most of the professors I?ve had so far in engineering courses can barely speak English, let alone teach us literal rocket science. Honestly, all this school cares about is its mediocre football team and research. The quality of instruction here is very low compared to other universities in the state where I have friends that are also doing engineering (UCF, UM, FIU). The MAE (Mechanical and Aerospace) advising department is even worse. The only advisors that actually do their jobs are the Freshman advisors, but once you're past your freshman year you get a different set of advisors. Nobody is assigned a certain advisor beyond freshman year, so there are 4 advisors to deal with the entire college. I?ve sent emails to advisors and gotten no response on more than one occasion. Keep in mind, I can only speak for the MAE department, but I?d imagine the rest of the Engineering college isn't much different. So if you're thinking about coming here for engineering, explore your other options first. If you're thinking about coming here to party and watch football, look nowhere else...

The education isn't the only thing that sucks about UF? The campus is laid out horribly, tons of wasted space everywhere and all of the buildings where you actually have class are in the Northeastern quadrant. But of course UF doesn't tell you this until you're already enrolled. If you don't live on campus as a freshman, good luck making friends, because the University sure doesn't encourage you to get involved in extracurriculars. Oh, and there's not nearly enough on campus housing for all the freshman, so good luck getting a spot to live on campus if that's what you're planning to do. The student body here, in general, is a bunch of arrogant, immature, self-absorbed, narcissistic buttheads. I don't know how else to explain it. Everyone here thinks that they're the best thing since sliced bread and that this school is so much better than all of the other schools in Florida, when it's not. Mostly everyone is a frat bro or a sorostitute, all they care about is the greek alphabet, getting trashed on gameday, and being the same as all of their stupid "brothers" and ?sisters?. I?ve never met a more annoying group of people than the greeks at this school. I?ve been to other schools and it's not like this at all. Don't get me wrong, not all greeks are bad and I?m friends with plenty of them, but here, most of them are. This place is basically highschool round 2, cliques everywhere because most of the student body is from either Tampa or Miami and part of greek life.

On top of all of that, as if it could get any worse, Gainesville is a horrible place. The dining options are uninspiring, the traffic is awful, there is absolutely nothing to do around here that isn't related to the horrendous university, there's crime all around campus and on campus regularly, the on campus housing is way overpriced for the quality, and the nightlife sucks. Seriously, Midtown is the shittiest collection of bars I have ever seen. They charge cover everywhere pretty much every night, there's never any good drink specials, and when it's not so packed that you have to wait in line for an hour, there's practically nobody there, there's no in between.

Just go to FSU, you'll get a better education and have way more fun. Plus, they actually have a football team that's worth going to see every Saturday unlike our pathetic junk.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2018
Social Life: A, Education Quality: F
UF will require youBrightHistory/Histories (art history/etc.)
UF will require you to take IUF1000, What is the Good Life? This course is a waste of time and resources and the University should have no academic credibility whatsoever for even offering a course as asinine as this one, no less requiring it of all undergraduates.
1st Year Male -- Class 2019
University Resource Use: C+, Education Quality: F
This is a horrible school that did notPhilosophy
This is a horrible school that did not contribute to my success in any way. In fact, it impeded it. I went to this school thinking it would be a happy medium between leaving Florida altogether or going to some local university like FAU or UM, neither of which were appropriate choices for me. The financial aid department was unprofessional and skeevy. They made every effort to not be helpful and to not follow up on requests made. The college advisors discouraged students of a certain color from pursuing areas of study that they deemed inappropriate for them or beyond their ability. I know this because I would discuss my situation with other white students, and they did not experience the same treatment. UF has a racist history and a corrupt infrastructure that is focused on catering to the freshman populace and the naive parents who treat college like a summer camp. Deep learning is not encouraged. I majored in philosophy. The department as it stands is crawling with prejudice, elitism and disregard for contrasting points of view. The professors would, again, discourage students of a certain color, usually black, from pursuing philosophy as a career choice, or would give such students poor grades for the same effort as white students. The department was predominantly white and male, with the exception of one Asian male and one white female. The students at that school were ignorant and racist. I would hear racist slurs and comments thrown around on a daily basis, with no consequences given to the students. I developed depression at that time, because of the toxic environment. So, I naturally sought help from the counseling system there. Again, I encountered the same mistreatment. The first thing they wanted to do was numb me with medication instead of helping me with my situation or acknowledging my experiences as valid.

Other grievances:
-Dirty library with loud students who left trash strewn about in study areas. It was also hard to find a seat or space or chair to actually sit down and do work at. It was always packed to capacity because of the inordinate amount of students enrolled and the lack of resources there to accommodate them.

-Poor limited food choices.
-Expensive dormitory areas.
-The almighty football team and the evil Greek system taking precedence over everything else. The Greek system continually pumped out homogenized drones who would ?stick to their own kind?.

-The surrounding area was a dumb and did not have anywhere near "the progessiveness" that the school touted.

I hope that they will be able to shut-down the school and reboot it, with an eye toward improving on the mistakes of their racist history and focusing more on education and the well-being of students instead of "football" and other trivial social rituals that doubt amount to squat in the real world.

Compare UFloridaSave UFlorida