StudentsReview ™ :: The University of Florida - Comments and Student Experiences

Florida State University -- Tallahassee, FL
Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University -- Tallahassee, FL
University of Central Florida -- Orlando, FL

The University of Florida

I had a hard time adjusting

Jan 02 2014Philosophy
I had a hard time adjusting. I won't exaggerate on my social skills, nor will I preface this comment with "I was well-adjusted and happy before I came here" comments. Fellow reviewers and surveyors on this site have cause to assume, based on information, provided that I had personal issues prior to coming to this school. And they would be justified at insinuating this. But the truth must be said: I really did not like this school. And I don't expect anyone else serious about learning to like this place either. I can run different scenarios in my head, like I did prior to attending this school, of how positively things might have been, if I only did x to beget y. I still catch myself doing this pathetic act from time to time. But I have to remember that unless you are independent enough to, despite great faults, master your environment, you will become slave to it. And I fear that if a student doesn't properly reflect and plan before entering UF, that this kind of emotionally and intellectually-deprived serfdom will inevitably become their end. It's not all bad. There are chances to improve if you so decide. The thing is not one of the administrators, faculty, or peers will replace a developed and emboldened sense of self needed to combat the pangs of self-doubt and mild depression you will likely develop after your first failures at this school. So if you suspect yourself to be contemplative, dour and non-conforming by temperament, either create an acceptable shell-self to present to others with, or flee this place immediately by all accounts.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2014
Faculty Accessibility: B+, Individual Value: F

I've recently transferred from UF to another state

Nov 04 2012Chemistry
I've recently transferred from UF to another state school. HS counselors pump this school up like it's MIT or Harvard, when in realty, they're not even in the same league as Ivy league schools. This school is soo freaking big and you're just another number. Most of the dorms are like 60 yrs old with no AC and most of the faculty doesn't speak English and you feel like they have no time for you because they're doing research. Sure..UF has good athletics, but I didn't come to college to party 24/7 or live for college football. Interestingly enough, everybody underage drinks here, the cops don't care on game-day. Don't believe the hype about UF, go visit other schools in the state before you pull the trigger. I'm now a senior at the University of Miami and loving it. More expensive but worth every penny.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
University Resource Use: B+, Faculty Accessibility: F

I made the mistake of attending UF my

Jun 11 2012History/Histories (art history/etc.)
I made the mistake of attending UF my first two years, because of a scholarship. I cannot tell you how horribly backward, racist and anti-intellectual an environment it is. I transferred to Emory and it is literally a world away from UF even though it is only in Georgia. People care about learning, and progress, here at Emory. At UF football, hazing, and trashing President Obama as a "n--ger" is all that goes on.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2014