StudentsReview :: The University of Florida - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Central Florida -- Orlando, FL

The University of Florida

One description I heard of UF students (by

Jun 29 2013Political Science
One description I heard of UF students (by a professor) was "bright but naive." I agree -- students were bright, curious but often lacked knowledge/experiences more sophisticated students would take for granted. Most are from Florida and publicly schooled but there is more diversity than you would expect from the remaining to 20 to 25 percent that are out of state/internationals. Professors can be top notch -- I had one Professor who had his PhD from Princeton and another from Oxford, England -- others were top in their field and highly published and regarded. Some students will take on the world, others will get married and stay in Florida. Of the many top notch programs at UF, funding from sports plus the huge college intake in education and allied health sciences helps keep the coffers filled but makes the place appear less intellectual. It's a mix and the Greek system, while influential in student government, is dilute thanks to the large campus and many student activities.
5th Year Female -- Class 1994
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Innovation: C+

I am a non

Aug 21 2012Accounting
I am a non traditional student (40) and continuously amazed at the level of maturity, kindness, and willingness to help and treat me as an equal. I love this school, the staff, students, academics and culture are outstanding. I am proud to be a member of the Gator Nation.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2016
Education Quality: A+, Scholastic Success: F

I don't think there's anyone in the world

Nov 11 2013Business - Management and Administration
I don't think there's anyone in the world who would not find a place here. There are so many types of people and so many opportunities. For most schools, there is a certain type of person you should be in order to be happy. Here, you can pretty much always find your niche no matter what type of person you are. Yes, your life will be easier if you are into greek life because that is a huge part of the social life here. But if you're not interested, it's really not a big deal. I originally thought I wasn't that type of person so I didn't rush. Then I tried it out, and after being a part of a sorority for about a month I realized I'm not that type of person and I'm not right for a sorority and that's okay. You don't have to be a part of greek life to be happy here. You can be any kind of person and find your place. Plus, the academics here are incredible. Every program is a top program in the country. The workload is difficult but manageable, and it isn't busywork. It is work that will actually help you succeed in life after college. I love it here, I think there are few other schools in the country that offer so many opportunities in absolutely every regard from social to academic to beyond campus. It's pretty awesome and anyone would love it.
Education Quality: A+, Faculty Accessibility: B-