StudentsReview :: The University of Miami - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Total Grad Surveys 13
Females 4
Males 9
Avg years at University 1.8
Research Quality B- (6.3)
Research Availability B- (6.5)
Research Funding C+ (5.4)
Graduate Politics C+ (5.0)
Not Errand Runners C+ (5.6)
Degree Completion B (6.9)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] B- (5.8)
Sufficient Pay C+ (5.1)
Competitiveness B- (6.0)
Education Quality B- (6.5)
Faculty Accessibility B (6.6)
Useful Research B- (6.4)
"Individual" treatment C (4.9)
Friendliness C+ (5.3)
Safety B+ (8.1)
Campus Beauty A (9.1)
Campus Maintenance A (9.0)
University Spending B- (6.3)
Extracurriculars B (7.1)
Scholastic Success B- (6.0)
Surrounding City B+ (7.7)
Social Life/ Environment B+ (7.7)
"Individual" treatmentC
Campus BeautyA
Music staff was cold and carelessApr 10 2019Music - Performance
Music staff was cold and careless. It's like they don't want us to succeed. Professors were highly arrogant as if this school is elite. Went here because I believed it was a great music school out of the others in Florida. What a waste. I should have gone to FSU. Shoot I bet even UCF is better than this school. Can't believe I wasted 2 years here. Don't be fooled by the beauty of the campus.
It is the mostJun 20 2014Aerospace Engineering
It is the most horrible university I have ever seen. The faculty is not very educated. the total number of faculty is 10 in mechanical and aerospace engineering. the computer lab has only 30 computers. the chair is useless and does not have leadership.
I went to this school attempting to getOct 07 2011Art & Design Department
I went to this school attempting to get my masters in art history and left it feeling completely disenfranchised and ripped-off. The funding is awful and their methods for awarding funding are upside down. There were only two professors in my department of any value, the rest were rude and loaded all thier work onto the T.A.s. There was another woman working in the department as an administrator who was awesome and arbitrarily fired to the disapointment of all the students...

I didn't apply for funding the first time around because i missed the cut-off date, then subsequently found out they still accepted someone elses application late and awarded her funding...completely unfair. The next semester I was competing for funding with a student who had enough money to buy a new camera, and a trip around the world during winter break, yet i did not recieve funding even though i was unemployed and desperatly scraping by...

I decided to transfer to the MFA program for the benefit of my future career interests and was told it would be no problem and I just had to submit my portfolio. That was a complete lie. Even though I was a 4.0 student already in the art department they denied me transfer to the MFA program, and never returned any of my emails or calls asking why...

Now they have stopped funding all non-terminal degrees so there is no funding available to the MA program even if I had wanted to go back...

I left this school having spent 36000 dollars, with nothing to show, feeling frustrated and like a no-name number drowning in a big lake of administrative BS. DO NOT GO HERE ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THE ARTS!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOU! The arts program is a puppet so they can advertise how diverse the school is and how many programs they offer. The facilties are awful, the buildings breaking down.

My friend who was attending the MFA program dropped out because they were so unsupportive of her interests as an artist, and extremely sexist. in one photoshop class, they actually used the liquify tool to inflate the breasts of a woman, not appropriate for a supposed world class university. They laughed at us when we asked to use an empty un-used room to make a mural printer....THIS SCHOOL SUCKS BIG TIME! IF I COULD SUE FOR MY MONEY BACK I WOULD!

This school does not provide what it promisesJul 31 2011Music Education
This school does not provide what it promises. I was denied access to what I wanted to learn. I felt unsupported and disrespected as a student. I received more support from my undergraduate college professors 10 years later while I was attending UM as a graduate student. Recently, I participated in a 3-week Kod?ly program where the quality of instruction and preparation for music teachers far surpassed that of the 2 year program I experienced at UM. Administration is a nightmare at UM, and they made costly mistakes that set me back considerably.
Feb 17 2008Music - Performance
Excellent school in all areas. The only major con to coming here is the incredible cost- but scholarships are readily available.
I am currently enrolled in the MMar 28 2006Business - Management and Administration
I am currently enrolled in the M.B.A program at U.M
It’s an excellent school and the Ivy League of South Florida. Definitely a great school to consider for an M.B.A degree. Many graduates have been successful finding top management positions in the fortune 500 companies.

How ever an professional business background and work experience is required to get in.
Best of luck to all future candidates.

This University is rediculousSep 10 2005Communications
This University is rediculous. There is a total lack of communication between departments, professors, and offices on campus. There are very few TA assistant ships offered and most of those go to the graduate film students. The equipment is definitely dated or there's like 2 and its not a good value for your money. For what I have spent here I could have a new E class Mercedes. Atleat I'd want to show off my Mercedes. There is no school spirit and not a lot of action going on on campus. Half the kids at the gym are pumped full of Andro and half the girls have eating disorders. There is one positive thing about this place and that is I only have to be here for a year.
well here it is, I am doing myJun 21 2004Music Education
well here it is, I am doing my master's in Music Ed and I did my undergrad in Music Composition here too. The music Ed factulty that I work with are great, totally A+ faculty. However, the graduate dean of the school of music is a total jerk who sent my private financial information to my professors when i made a stink about the music office not processing my scholarship correctly, he did it to make me look bad infront of the professors. That was a violation of my privacy and unprofessional. The college of education seems to have substandard professors that are very boring and give out incorrect information (i.e. my ESOL strategies class) but I have to take some classes there for my degree. The majority of the performance and theory faculty I'd consider A+ material too. Stay away if you are a string player, the department head is backstabbing. She volunteered to give me a recommendation letter for a job I applied for when she heard I needed one. SHE asked ME if she could write it and then the job called and said that the recommendation letter was negative, thanks for volunteering to ruin my career! That said, some of the faculty has been invaluable to me, some I would consider friends. The main library is a great research facility though the music library never has the modern or obscure works I need on occasion. If you're a string performance major, undergrad or grad, go somewhere else. I could play circles around the doctoral viola student when i was a sophomore and he graduated with a DM in performance. I'd personally be very embarassed about endorsing that kind of crap. Though most of us were better, the performance environment doesnt prepare you for what's out there. I know that the oboe studio is top rate as well as jazz or piano. If you have any questions, please email and i'll be happy to answer any questions you have about UM, grad or undergrad
Compare MIAMISave MIAMI