StudentsReview :: The University of Tampa - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Texas -- Austin, TX
Florida State University -- Tallahassee, FL

After my first semester at UT, the onlyQuite BrightBiology
After my first semester at UT, the only positive thing I can really say about the university is the quality of the professors. They are engaging and enthusiastic about what they teach, and are willing to help you if you truly want it. The rest is pretty much all negative.

The vast majority of students are from New Jersey and Long Island, and are very arrogant, unfriendly, and stuck up. Obviously not all students are like that, but there are few who are not. I also feel that the general population of students are just plain stupid, and don't really care for an education. Most party at least 2-3 times a week, and are only getting a degree to please daddy.

Tampa is a very dirty city, and if you walk a few blocks and venture downtown there are homeless people everywhere (who are ruthless about asking for money or food). I feel very unsafe living in my dorm, as we have already had 2 break ins during my first semester here.

During Club Rush there were virtually no actual clubs, just fraternities and sororities. There are few actual clubs and it is hard to find out information about the clubs that do exist.

A letdown for me was that I thought the beach was close, and I could take the bus for 10 mins and be at the beach. The closest beach, Clearwater, is a 45 min drive away so don't be fooled.I would not recommend this school to someone who is not a partier, and wants to focus on their education and actually have a good career. If you want to get a degree while partying 24/7, this is the place to be. But for me, I am definitely planning on transferring.

1st Year Male -- Class 2019
Campus Aesthetics: A, Individual Value: F
DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY AT THE UNIVERSITYBrightBiology
DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY AT THE UNIVERSITY OF TAMPA
HONEST REVIEW: I'm going to be completely honest about everything i say in this review because i do not want prospective students to make the same mistake i did. Now, if you are looking for a great college experience and a community with a group of students who you can call a family and make great memories with, this is not the school for you.

One, the school DOES NOT have any aspect of athletic student pride. In my opinion, athletics is one of, if not the most important factor that brings students together as a community. If tailgating, football games, rowdy student sections, and having that college feel is what you are looking for..this is NOT the school for you.

Two, the students' attitudes here are the absolute WORST thing i have ever come across in my educational career. This is probably one of the most unattractive thing this school has to offer. The girls are very stuck up and usually come from a rich background hence they do not know anything besides money and appearance.

The girls here are generally very clique-ish and are not accepting of people from different backgrounds. In about every 20 girls at this school you will find about 2 that are generally good, accepting, well rounded people.Now on the the fellas, EVERY GUY IS A FRAT DOUCHE. Whether they are in a frat or not, they all still carry the same egotistical personality. The guys here generally come from rich backgrounds as well and are not accepting of people outside of their circle either.

So do you see what i mean when i say the school has no community or family feel? The school's population is 60% White, making most students either openly or quietly racist. The school is also in the south where much of confederate support is located. DO NOT GET FOOLED BY THE PAMPHLETS AND VIDEOS. This school is essentially a preppy rich private school for kids who feed off of daddy's money.

The area surrounding the school is VERY DANGEROUS. The campus is not that big at all and it's very easy to get bored and it's even worse when you cannot explore the area around it without fear of being attacked. Students have been victims of armed robbery, assault, and stabs from walking along the outskirts of the campus. Again, do not let the admissions office fool you into believing this is the perfect school. If you think you will be living at the beach, you won't. The closest beach is 20 minutes away and unless you have a car you have no way of getting there cheaply, the uber drive will be well over $60 to get there and back.

Now onto the most important aspect of all, the education. For such a disappointing school in every other sense, I must admit the classes are not bad. The largest class you will have is a Science class that's right no lecture halls! Many of the other classrooms tend to have the high school setting vibe with the chair/desks and the professors speaking in the front go the room. The work is not difficult if you apply yourself.

The school is also not well respected, it is pretty much a joke to graduate schools. Many people have not even heard of the school and a degree from here is not highly looked upon, unless you are a nursing major. It is also VERY EXPENSIVE. One semester at this school is equivalent to an entire school year at a public university. Do not waste your money at such an unknown private university. If you decide to spend a great amount of money on college please do it at a well respected private instititute.

All in all, i would not recommend this school to a student who has high aspirations of become a better person overall. The school is for rich kids who need a bachelors and want to show off how much money they have while living in florida. If you want a real college experience i would recommend USF, the school is 100x in many ways. If you are not a rich, upper northeast kid, you will not enjoy your experience at this school.

1st Year Female -- Class 2019
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Social Life: F
I chose to come to the university ofQuite BrightPreMed and Medical
I chose to come to the university of Tampa because they emphasize experiential learning, global connections, the weather is great, and the campus is beautiful. The class sizes are small (around 20). As a freshman I was excited to start college and formulated scenarios in my head of what college would be like, but when I actually started school here it wasn't at all what I expected. Even on the first day I could tell people were cliquey, immature, materialistic, and stuck up. My roommate and I (now over halfway through the first semester) still have negative amount of friends. If you are not willing to wake up everyday and apply a full face of makeup, curl your hair, and wear high heels, nobody will give you the time of day. The only way to really make friends is to join either a sports team or Greek life in which all of your friends are bought anyway. There are definitely things I like here at UT (my classes, professors, facilities, campus, weather) but I've learned through being here that the people I'm surrounded by can play a huge role in my overall happiness even if I'm living in "paradise". My advise to you who are thinking about attending this university...do your research. There has to be a reason why UT has the highest transfer rate in the state. My reason for transferring? I can't stand the people, I'm not a city girl, I miss my friends from home, and i often find myself counting down the days until I get to leave this hell hole. Good luck in your college process!!!
1st Year Female -- Class 2019