StudentsReview :: American Inter Continental University - Comments and Student Experiences

American University -- Washington, DC
American Intercontinental University -- Los Angeles, CA

American Inter Continental University

I am just letting you know that thisQuite BrightFine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
I am just letting you know that this school is a For-Profit "school", like the Art Institute of Atlanta, and SCAD. As in other words: This school is ALL ABOUT MONEY.

For-Profit schools are schools that does not rely on profit from the Government (through various grants, etc.). Their MAIN source of income is through how many butts they could put in their building.

Please, please, PLEASE, go to this website:

It will shed a TON of light about how AIU (and their parent conglomerate CSC) operates. This could also be held true about other private schools. They are akin to health club, or workout fads, like P90X, where they sell you on a dream of a "ripped" body, but you risk the potential of serious injury (or spending a lot of money in purchasing "supplements"). In this case, they sell you on the dream of a fabulous job, but you don't have anywhere NEAR the connections to see it through.

It also mentions some truths about who these For-Profit schools prey on. Mainly minorities who aren't that well endowed financially. It could definitely explain this school's lack of diversity (which is staggering). Be prepared to see a lot of the thugged-out types roaming around this school.

Also, the Film side of the house shares the house with the music side. And ALL of the people on the music side will try to get on the film side (probably to make their own music videos cheaper), and it dilutes the program CONSIDERABLY. I don't know how many students I run into, in this program, who make me continuously rethink if I'm making the right choice (let's just say about 30, or so, movie ideas about being a Hip-Hop/Rap/R&B star).

Some of the professors know what they're talking about. But, again, we're selling a dream job here, and the fact is that most of the teachers have zero connections to the industry in Atlanta (which is something you need to gain viable experience for better paying jobs). Most of them looks like they either; just got off the plane from California, or never had any luck in the industry. So that hurts your chances of making good use of the degree outside of the school.

There is also NO student organization for students in the Film side of the house. I believe this is, again, based on the fact that this school is a For-Profit school. But if you're possibly looking for a film/video club, that will allow you to go to these film lectures (which helps create a network!), better look elsewhere.

If you think you'll be going to a legitimate campus, have fun working out of an office building (remarkably right down the street from the Art Institute of Atlanta's office buildings).God honest truth, if you're going for a film-type of degree, go to a legitimate university (or a trade school/community college that specializes in Cinematography). And "don't eat the cake", and/or "drink the Kool-Aid", cause you will be hurting.

1st Year Male -- Class 2014
Friendliness: B, University Resource Use: F
As a student I have been treated badlyBright
As a student I have been treated badly by some of the instructors. When asking them for help the most common response was read the materials, well hello if I am asking you for help I read the class wark and still did not understand "I NEED YOUR HELP!!" I also found that 50% of the instructors only did lame lectures full of BS instead of teachimg the sudbject for the week. "I don't care about last weeks football game or your weather...I want to be taught." I feel AIU should do their own assignment instead of farming it out to some company in Canada then maybe the assignments with follow the book. I also feel the assignments writers should remember not all students worked the feild they are studying "some of us are brand new at this" and assignmets should teach how processes are done instead of making us do the process with no training.
4th Year Female -- Class 2013
Friendliness: B-, Innovation: F
I have had aNot so brightBusiness - Management and Administration
I have had a good experience so far. This has been a very beneficial experience for me at this time in my life. My confidence level has risen, and I am able to complete on a much higher level that before.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2011