StudentsReview :: Clayton State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Clayton State University

I am a Film Production major at thisNot so brightOther
I am a Film Production major at this school. While CSU has been very good to me since I transferred from West Georgia, I am giving it a negative rating for multiple reasons. (Caution: this will be very long because I am very honest)

First, the school seems to only care about Business and Nursing. I get that because they get a lot of accolades for it, but they neglect to improve the other majors on campus - specifically Film and Computer Science (which show a lot promise as any other major)

Second, the Bursars and FinAid departments should do a better job at helping students. This semester I got multiple emails from them saying I have an outstanding warrant on my account that I need to pay for, they couldn't even bother explaining how to pay for it because the link they directed me to didn't show that I needed to pay for anything.

Third, the social life on campus is beyond boring. Because we are in Clayton County, there aren't many attractions for the students like other college towns. Clayton Co. is very sketchy and dangerous (this is unpopular, but I think Clayton Co. can benefit from some gentrification). And what kind of college has no frat and sorority houses?? And the Student Life department needs to think of better ways to get students active, I suggest getting the student clubs to do some sort of meet and greet with their respective clubs from other universities. That way it can help the school be a little more recognized.

Fourth, it's impossible to find a relationship here. Almost all of the good people are taken, which leaves the undesirable people with emotional problems. Not everyone is like this, but this has been my experience. My advice: don't date anyone here who is a Business major, Criminal Justice major, or student veteran (they're the most messed up). And adding on to the student body population, if you are a white person who has an issue with diversity: this isn't the school for you. I am sick and tired of some the white students here complaining about how there are a lot black and Asian students here. If you don't like it, go to some other school with a large white population.

Fifth, there needs to be more healthy food options. They need to get rid of the Pizza Hut and Sub Station because they are neither tasty or healthy. The only good places are the Jazzman's and the food cart that comes with Starbucks and healthy dishes. I'd suggest they bring Einstein Bros. to the school. And I can't really comment on the cafeteria because I only ate there once and I'm usually on the go.

Sixth, the school doesn't realize it has potential. Clayton State could be like Kennesaw State or Georgia State in terms of recognition (minus the football team), but it's not there yet. I kind of want to attribute this area we're in because no one is willing to fund anything pertaining to Clayton County. And another reason I think is because of the old people who attend here. The school can be like other Kennesaw State or Georgia State, but it could scare away the old people who don't want the bustle of a well-known school. And obviously a Baby Boomer is going to have a lot more money than a mere Millennial student, making the older students to be a cash cow for the school. I just want my school to be known for the great things it does like any other college campus (other wise I wouldn't be having thoughts of transferring to somewhere more reputable). We already have Spivey Hall, the school needs to advertise that more for the people in the Metro-Atlanta are to know. And lastly, the school needs to demand to be recognized that way other people can see how much potential it has (along with their sports teams).Lastly, as a Film major here, I am not really satisfied with how they are running the Film department. While this major is brand new to the school, I do not appreciate how we, the film students, are being shafted. I appreciate what the school has done in partnering with the Georgia Film Academy and making a film studio on Tara Boulevard. I don't appreciate that I have to graduate longer than expected due to a few number of classes being taught in a semester. This is a common occurrence for other majors, but at least the classes aren't so spread out that you have to wait 2 semesters to finish a core class! One issue is that we only have 3 film professors teaching, and I worry for them because they are have a lot of classes to teach. Another issue is that they will let ANYONE take the core film classes that are crucially needed for film students to move on to the next level of classes. It becomes frustrating after a while when I have to hear some film-illiterate Biology, Math, Business, Criminal Justice or Communications major (ironic, I know) gripe about how hard the classes are because they thought they would the only thing they would do was watch movies all day; not thinking they would actually have analyze and learn filming techniques. So in case any from the faculty of CSU is reading this, here's a thought: make the film classes Film major exclusive. University of Georgia does the same for their majors, if you want to be more reputable, this is one step in the right direction.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2019
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Social Life: F
I earned a BS Psychology in 2011 andBrightPsychology
I earned a BS Psychology in 2011 and only received one (part time) job offer in over a year of searching. My degree has proven to be worthless for the field of Psychology.

During this time, I was offered and accepted a full time support staff position job with the university. After about a year and a half I was dismissed for trumped up charges which were never substantiated by human resources. I believe that my dismissal was related to my complaints about the failure of minority co workers who were not held to the same performance standard as I was. I was expected to be perfect in my job performance. I am Caucasian. My educational experience was good, but I would not recommend going to work for this institution, due to the anti-white emphasis going on within certain administrative individuals. During my time at CSU I noticed that high school groups brought in for recruitment tours were predominately African American. I believe this was a deliberate attempt to reduce participation of white students who could have benefitted from the educational opportunities at this institution.

4th Year Male -- Class 2011
Friendliness: A, Social Life: D
The school is too small, especially the musicBrightMusic - Composition/Theory
The school is too small, especially the music department. There were the same twenty people in all my classes. If you are a straight female looking for a boyfriend, it won't happen here, because the gender ratio is ridiculous. Also, if you're white, you're gonna have a bad time. There is so much reverse racism here, a lot of people, staff and students alike, treated me badly because I'm white. I lived close enough to campus to commute, but they made me pay for a dorm anyway, which I never stayed at. The school "conveniently" lost my final paper, so I failed a class because of their incompetence, and it prevented me from transferring to gsu. I'm going to gpc for a year, hopefully it won't be miserable. Either way, I am done with Clayton State. At the end of the year, I walked away and never looked back.
1st Year Female -- Class 2018