StudentsReview :: Emory University - Comments and Student Experiences

Vanderbilt University -- Nashville, TN
Washington University in St. Louis -- St. Louis, MO

Emory University

Nov 21 2012Chemistry

Thought of transfer before getting here.Never think of it since beginning of college.

1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Education Quality: A+, Scholastic Success: B+

It's good for some

Oct 31 2012Political Science
It's good for some people, it's bad for others. Take this with a grain of salt. I would say, however, that a big problem with Emory is apathy. It drowns you. just go out do stuff for yourself if you come here. don't wait for others.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2014
Education Quality: A+, Scholastic Success: F

I realized within 4 weeks that I had

May 26 2014Finance
I realized within 4 weeks that I had made the wrong choice by choosing to attend Emory University. About Me: I'm from the Northeast (like many Emory Students) and have always been an excellent student. I scored 96th percentile on the SAT and graduated 3rd in my high school class. I visited the April of my HS senior year and was blown away by the beauty of campus. I ended up choosing Emory over Boston College because of the cost; I received an aid offer of $22,000 a year from Emory versus $6,000 from Boston College (I couldn't afford $53,000 a year).

Anyways here's what life at Emory has been for me: Most of the students are Ivy-League/Northwestern/WashU rejects and everyone BS about how they didn't get into these schools. The kids tend to be rich, snobby, elitist, and pretentious. Stats say that there are only like 13% asians, but it's closer to 30% if you live on the Atlanta campus as I do. I'm not racist whatsoever, but the Chinese and koreans only hang out with each other and smoke outside Woodruff library together. My roommate was from China, he didn't speak english well and made no attempt to become my friend.

There is ABSOLUTELY no school spirit here. I underestimated how important this is. Being at a school where no one gets really excited about on campus events is SO depressing. No one watches any sports, there is no football team to rally around. People come here for Pre-Law, Pre-Med, and Pre-Bus, and really nothing else. Social Life is really segregated by dorm for freshman and the ENTIRE social life scene revolves around Greek Life. I don't drink or smoke, so basically there's not much to do on Fridays and Saturdays. Atlanta is a driving city, so as a freshman you may feel like you're suffocating on campus because it's the same 3/4 mile cube all year. The DUC cafeteria absolutely sucks, and there is no grocery store within walking distance. Emory likes to say it's a safe campus, but it's really not. During my freshman year, there were several reports of rape on campus, one by a complete stranger in the woods, and of course Frat-type stuff.

My time so far at Emory has been an extreme let down. I thought the campus was massive when I first visited, but when you get here everything feels so small. I came here for the brand "Emory" and hate myself for it because it has been the worst experience of my life. I plan on transferring Spring semester of sophomore year. Some other things: I really hate the 2 semester language requirement and all the other liberal arts classes that you must take. I entered with 15 hours of AP credit and still have to take all these courses I completely loathe.

1st Year Male -- Class 2017