StudentsReview :: Emory University - Comments and Student Experiences

Washington University in St. Louis -- St. Louis, MO

Emory University

May 26 2014Finance
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I realized within 4 weeks that I had made the wrong choice by choosing to attend Emory University. About Me: I'm from the Northeast (like many Emory Students) and have always been an excellent student. I scored 96th percentile on the SAT and graduated 3rd in my high school class. I visited the April of my HS senior year and was blown away by the beauty of campus. I ended up choosing Emory over Boston College because of the cost; I received an aid offer of $22,000 a year from Emory versus $6,000 from Boston College (I couldn't afford $53,000 a year).

Anyways here's what life at Emory has been for me: Most of the students are Ivy-League/Northwestern/WashU rejects and everyone BS about how they didn't get into these schools. The kids tend to be rich, snobby, elitist, and pretentious. Stats say that there are only like 13% asians, but it's closer to 30% if you live on the Atlanta campus as I do. I'm not racist whatsoever, but the Chinese and koreans only hang out with each other and smoke outside Woodruff library together. My roommate was from China, he didn't speak english well and made no attempt to become my friend.

There is ABSOLUTELY no school spirit here. I underestimated how important this is. Being at a school where no one gets really excited about on campus events is SO depressing. No one watches any sports, there is no football team to rally around. People come here for Pre-Law, Pre-Med, and Pre-Bus, and really nothing else. Social Life is really segregated by dorm for freshman and the ENTIRE social life scene revolves around Greek Life. I don't drink or smoke, so basically there's not much to do on Fridays and Saturdays. Atlanta is a driving city, so as a freshman you may feel like you're suffocating on campus because it's the same 3/4 mile cube all year. The DUC cafeteria absolutely sucks, and there is no grocery store within walking distance. Emory likes to say it's a safe campus, but it's really not. During my freshman year, there were several reports of rape on campus, one by a complete stranger in the woods, and of course Frat-type stuff.

My time so far at Emory has been an extreme let down. I thought the campus was massive when I first visited, but when you get here everything feels so small. I came here for the brand "Emory" and hate myself for it because it has been the worst experience of my life. I plan on transferring Spring semester of sophomore year. Some other things: I really hate the 2 semester language requirement and all the other liberal arts classes that you must take. I entered with 15 hours of AP credit and still have to take all these courses I completely loathe.

1st Year Male -- Class 2017
Campus Aesthetics: A, Useful Schoolwork: D+
May 12 2009Unknown
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Emory as a school is fairly racist. The location of the school-away from the heart of the city surrounded by golf courses and parks, the funding-all from multinational corporations, and the mindset of the majority of the people that apply there are money hungry folks simply worried about improving their status and not necessarily improving society. The majority of students are folks from the Northeast who could not make it into the Ivy League schools up north, and Emory is more of a fall back for them. The other half are Southern private school/suburban Atlanta kids.The faculty was mixed. They range from excellent to horrible, and the facilities are state of the art. The campus is nice, but not as active as other city schools.
Preparedness: F Reputation: F
Dec 09 2008Biology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Emory really sucks. The administration likes to present an image of being highly ethical, but in reality, nothing is further from the truth. This was the biggest mistake of my life, and I would not do it again.