StudentsReview ™ :: Emory University - Comments and Student Experiences

Vanderbilt University -- Nashville, TN
Washington University in St. Louis -- St. Louis, MO

Emory University

Emory as a school is fairly racist

May 12 2009Unknown
Emory as a school is fairly racist. The location of the school-away from the heart of the city surrounded by golf courses and parks, the funding-all from multinational corporations, and the mindset of the majority of the people that apply there are money hungry folks simply worried about improving their status and not necessarily improving society. The majority of students are folks from the Northeast who could not make it into the Ivy League schools up north, and Emory is more of a fall back for them. The other half are Southern private school/suburban Atlanta kids.The faculty was mixed. They range from excellent to horrible, and the facilities are state of the art. The campus is nice, but not as active as other city schools.
Preparedness: F Reputation: F

Emory really sucks

Dec 09 2008Biology
Emory really sucks. The administration likes to present an image of being highly ethical, but in reality, nothing is further from the truth. This was the biggest mistake of my life, and I would not do it again.

I always hated my time at Emory University

Nov 10 2007History/Histories (art history/etc.)
I always hated my time at Emory University. It was the worst 4 years of my life. As others have already noted, a tremendous number of students come from backgrounds of substantial wealth. If you are not one of those students, the university is a horrible place to be. Moreover, the university itself promotes a highly corporate culture. Most students are pre-med, pre-law, or in the undergraduate business program. In other words, the school is very pre-professional. As a humanities student, I felt extremely alienated. It was only in going elsewhere for graduate school that I came to realize just how bad the school actually was. Moreover, it is a mistake to think Emory helped me go to graduate school. The univesity is widely dismissed as a haven for the rich and dim. I would say going there has worked against me at every turn (I'm constantly forced to explain that I only went there because I was from the state and that I do actually care about my studies). In addition, graduate school is now highly international. Sadly (and despite the school's rhetoric), nobody (I mean literally nobody) has heard of the school outside the United States. That too has put me at a significant disadvantage. In sum: a terrible place to be; not worth the money; extremely depressing; highly corporate.
4th Year Male -- Class 2000