StudentsReview :: Georgia Southwestern State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

Georgia Southwestern State University

When I first toured GSW, they brought outBrightNursing
When I first toured GSW, they brought out their best food, people, and faculty. Now that I actually attend GSW, I see that their orientation was a lie. The cafeteria hardly ever has edible food. Their servsafe grade is an 87. They promoted safety and a good time on the tour. However, GSW is not safe. Since I have been here, there have been two shootings in Americus. They bragged about having call boxes throughout campus for if someone felt unsafe. Despite their bragging, they only have one call box located on campus. Along with the unsafe feel of Americus, there is nothing for young adults to do on their free time. There are not any good restaurants. The nearest mall and movie theater are 45 minutes away. The events on campus are pathetic and few people stay at GSW on the weekends. The parking lots are not well lit and far away from the dorms. My dorm is not nice either. It is such a small space for the large price that I paid. The light went out a month ago and I made a maintenance request immediately. They promised to get to it in two days. It has been a month and the light is still out. All of these problems would be somewhat manageable if the people were nice. However, this is not the case. GSW has a high school feel to it. People stick to their groups and friends are hard to make. To top it all off, GSW has not worked with me financially and when I asked for advisement, the lady was rude and told me to take out a student loan. Georgia Southwestern is a sad excuse for a college. I am transferring.
2nd Year Female -- Class 1920
Scholastic Success: C+, Education Quality: F
My experience at GSW was ok.Psychology
My experience at GSW was ok. It is a small school with a mediocre reputation. If you are looking for a school with recognition, then I would advise you to attend more reputable universities in Georgia, such as GSU, GA Tech, UGA, or Emory. The school is in a rural area and does not have a football team so there will be little to do. It is a decent place for anyone seeking a degree for careers in education, nursing, business and IT. Most of their degrees cater to these fields. They due have other degrees in liberal arts, math and sciences.

I must admit that I had some good professors that cared about their students. I also learned a great deal from them. As for the students there, many of them either chose GSW because they could not get into their first choice schools or they wanted to stay closer to home.

As for the professional connections, there are none. In other words,there are no big name companies recruiting graduates from this school because it is small unknown university. The career center at this school sucks; they do not provide seniors with networking opportunities that would help them attain a job by graduation. You are basically on your own.

This is overall a regular school with regular students being taught by regular professors. There is nothing special about attending this school, other than the fact that it has cheap tuition especially for in-state students. If you want an outstanding education, then go somewhere else. This school is for students who need a second chance after high school. Nothing more, nothing less.

This school is a joke compared to otherBrightNursing
This school is a joke compared to other schools I visited. The school do not have enough people in place. I never seen 1 or 2 people run a financial aid office. If you need to talk to someone, they are out for the day or they will have to call you back. They are behind in time and have no knowledge of the new things other schools are doing. They need to compare to others schools. The school is boring!! There is no activities besides getting drunk. Most people come to this school when they can't go any where else. They just got places to eat beside the cafeteria. The school that I attends now have plenty of places to eat. This is more of a junior college than a university. My dorm was nice and that was about it. This is the country and boring. They are loosing student because of this
2nd Year Female -- Class 2017