StudentsReview :: Georgia Southern University - Comments and Student Experiences

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

Georgia Southern University

This place is my home.BrightHistory/Histories (art history/etc.)
This place is my home. I always thought of myself as a person happier close to a bigger city, and that's still true, but at Southern, many of the people were from the same atmosphere so we got along great. My first semester was a bit rocky because I didn't get out much, but once I did I became close to a group of friend I now consider my family. I have "usual" hangout spots and a favorite bar, but many new businesses have been popping up in the small town and very soon a friend and chef will be opening up a small restaurant/bar (which is very popular down here) I'm sure I will be stopping by frequently. Most of the people here are very friendly and are glad to be making a friend just as much as you are so the best advice I have on that issue is to just let yourself go and say hi to people, and if they look at you weird or blow you off, the diversity of the student gives you multiple chances to find the group or groups that fit your personality. The Greek life is very active and extracurriculars are easy to come by (someone always appreciates a helping hand down here). Southern Hospitality flourishes in this warm environment.

It does have a party school reputation, and it is. There is always something going on and it's hard to resist temptation, even harder to convince yourself to go to class, but you will not be teased or cast aside because you don't party hard. People here will respect your decision not to drink or to drugs (it's up to you, I'm not your mom) and you can definitely still go out to parties and the bar and have a good time with out getting wasted. I know EVERYBODY says there will always be other parties and your probably sick of hear it it ( I know I was), but it is so true here. If it helps, go out for a few hours and wind down after class, then go to your room or the 24hr library and do homework. And try and sit through the bull of the orientation class, its just an annoyance to get freshman organized and involved on campus. maybe it works for some, but for me I was pissed cause I could have learned all that from the brochure.

As for academics, no it's not Ivy league. The classes are usually small, which is good for teacher accessibility, but for core classes lecture halls with 200 students are popular. Like many public schools, your professors range from the merely adequate and unavailable to the engaging and helpful. Fortunately, you can tell pretty quickly who is who and transfer to a more appealing class. I have personally been lucky and not run into too many boring and unmotivated teachers. If that does happen, chances are the person next to you is bored too so if there is any chance of making a study buddy or taking a class with a friend, DO IT!!

For those of you looking at prospective colleges, know that if your coming from Atlanta the drive is MURDEROUS alone. I-16 is the most dreadfully boring road in GA. But when you get here, don't room with a friend from high school, on-campus housing is really nice, meal plans suck unless you don't have a kitchen and then you have no choice, the campus is award winning and beautiful, it's only cold 3-4 months out of the year, it's 30min from Savannah, Spring Break is the week of St. Patrick's Day, and if your shy when you first meet people, take a theatre class and get over it quickly because it's a waste of time. GO EAGLES! oh yeah, and football games are a must.

(Keep in mind in only finishing up my first year, but I still spend time with older student, especially those in my major which is excellent for studying, networking, and parties when we need a break!)

1st Year Female -- Class 2011
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Surrounding City: D-
I know the reputation GSU has for beingBrightEducation
I know the reputation GSU has for being a party school. I think that's largely outdated, and is changing. Sure, there are still some bars you have to walk past to get to some campus buildings, but the University has been buying alot of them up. If you party anywhere, you won't last. Statesboro isn't as bad as some make it out to be- what do you want there anyway? All you need are grocery stores & WalMart and they have that. Savannah is close is you feel compelled to go party anyway. Don't fall into that trap.

The dorms are being replaced with beautiful on-campus housing. Technology here is superb. The campus is gorgeous, but the meal plans suck bad. The drive from Atlanta on I-16 is kinda miserable, but only 3 1/2 hours. Kids drive home every weekend so you can hitch rides all the time. IT sure beats Athens where UGA is a great place, the quality of life is getting bad there- parking sucks, is expensive, classes are too big at UGA, and profs don't give a crap about you. Southern is just the right mix.Marching in the Southern Pride band has been a blast! If you have been in high school band, check it out. One of the mosy fun activities on campus! Dr. Matt Fallin, the Director is great. It's like a family.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2012
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: B
I'm a 3rd year transfer student.BrightNursing
I'm a 3rd year transfer student. The school overall is great. The nursing program, however, is highly competitive to get into. The avg GPA to get in is a 3.8. I do not live on campus, only freshman do. Most others just live "off" campus. The meal plans could be better considering you're paying so much for them. If you don't use them all by the end of the week you loose them. SUCKS. There are so many clubs to get involved with on campus and theres greek life, so the options are definitely there if you want to be involved. There are lots of opportunites to get on campus jobs as well. Georgia southern is a very nice school, in the middle of no where, but it's a typical college town so what else do you expect? There are parties every weekend but in my opinion, no ones forcing you to go to party every weekend. If you feel like going out, go out. If not stay in. Simple. I don't go out much and heavily involved on campus.

Beautiful campus, great school