StudentsReview :: The Savannah College of Art and Design - Comments and Student Experiences

Rhode Island School of Design -- Providence, RI
Ringling School of Art and Design -- Sarasota, FL
Pratt Institute -- Brooklyn, NY

The Savannah College of Art and Design

SCAD was a life changing experience for me.Industrial Design
SCAD was a life changing experience for me. I found that the more I put in, the more I got out. I can see how some people could have a tough time there because there isn't really much hand holding. If you approach it half-assed you will get a half-assed education and that isn't the school's fault. I don't imagine private schools need to worry about fostering low performing students because everyone pays the same tuition. That said, I think if you are focused, motivated and ready to grow, SCAD has seemingly limitless resources, options and opportunities for you. You have to work for it.
I had a fantastic experience at S.Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
I had a fantastic experience at S.C.A.D. Although I had a few dull professors most were excellent and several were deep lifelong influences. The facilities were very good and the general atmosphere of the school was very positive. I attended at the Savannah campus, the only one at the time, and found the city itself very inspirational for the artist.
SCAD has been an extremely challenging and rewardingBrightOther
SCAD has been an extremely challenging and rewarding experience for me. People who are angry at SCAD are angry because of how good the school is at advertising and getting kids (aka them) to want to come to school here. When they get here they're usually angry because admissions makes SCAD look like a perfect utopia where everything will be handed to you on a silver platter which is not the case for any institution. I will admit that SCAD admissions is clearly corrupt however that does not change the integrity of the academics here. I have received a first class education with exceptional professors and yes I've had some terrible professors(but those are at every school) but they are quickly outweighed by the good ones I've had. People also complain about our "accreditation" which is something that i've never really understood to be a huge problem. SCAD isn't accredited most likely because we so programs of degree and individualized focused studies that those are things you couldn't study at any other university so it makes sense that we're accredited considering where else are you going to find a school (even an art school) why your credits for themed entertainment design are going to transfer. I personally think that are lack of accreditaiton is a good thing or else I wouldn't be able to have such a focused and specific major that I am working towards. The only time I could see this being an issue would be if you're an architecture major but I haven't had any friend in the program express any distress over it. SCAD has offered me a lot of opportunities that other universities and art schools just couldn't match and I definitely had my doubts going into the school but am very content now with where I am with my studies. People who whine about SCAD stealing their money and it being a scam are also the usually the same people who are going to a super expensive art school to get their degree in photography so at the end of the day that was probably a bad investment in the first place. If you want to be a fine arts major then yeah you should probably just attend a state school or more affordable school but if you can afford it then yes it is a good education. If you want to go for a more specialized creative career such as animation, urban design, fashion , etc then SCAD is a worthwhile education if you put the hard work in and make the most of the resources that the college gives you.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2016