StudentsReview :: The Savannah College of Art and Design - Comments and Student Experiences

Rhode Island School of Design -- Providence, RI

Lies and Discrimination

Preparedness: - Reputation: F

I have spent over $100,000 in student loans

Feb 12 2014Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
I have spent over $100,000 in student loans while at SCAD. There so many things I love about my school, especially the photography department. Your foundation classes may feel like busy work, but they are actually very useful towards your major. Well besides 3D Design, I still think that class was a total waste of time lol. Anyway, I love the photo department, but for the price tag of tuition, half of the equipment is outdated or old as your grandma, along with that fact that a quarter of the photo professors are only there because of their so called 'fame' when they are in reality actually really horrible teachers. Like Zig Jackson, Meryl Truett and Pete Christman, avoid them at all costs! They are totally useless teachers. I don't even know why they are teachers! I regret having chosen them for classes. Anyway, Savannah is a party town so if you're down for that you've come to the right place. If not, there's always Forsyth park or a ton of cafe's and cupcake places where you can write about your sober artsy life. After four years, I really would not trade this experience for anything. I am still not proud that I am graduating from the money hungering SCAD, but I am proud that I have at least attended college. I wish I would have attended a better school, but it's too late now. SCAD really isn't worth the money, despite whatever kind of fancy show they try to put on during tours or on their website. Please aim for RISD (with a scholarship) or just any art school other than the overrated SCAD, it's really not worth the money. Good luck everyone!
4th Year Female -- Class 2014
Faculty Accessibility: A, Social Life: D

Pros:

Feb 10 2014Other
Pros:
- The building is nice, they've spent a lot of time (and our money) creating an environment suitable for creativity and education.

- I have had a handful of classes where I learned a lot of useful information.
Cons:
- Obviously this place is expensive, but it's also not worth it.
- I never developed any close friendships with the people here because they are mostly arrogant and form cliques. Not to mention most of them reek of alcohol/drugs.

- While the building itself is nice, the environment around it isn't very safe. There have been several security breaches, as well as car break-ins and robberies at gun-point. Don't travel in this area at night.

- The HUB food is expensive, and not even that great.
- It's claimed that since the classes at SCAD-Atlanta are smaller, learning is more "hands-on", but most of the teachers will tell you to improve on your own time. I've been attending the SCAD-Atlanta campus for about 5 years, and the most I've gotten out of it is large amounts of stress, financial debt, and an inferiority complex. Prior to enrolling into SCAD, I attended their SCAD-Day event, where they give tours to prospective students. Obviously, this is where they try to persuade you to attend SCAD by sugar-coating any information regarding the school. I remember when I went to this event, another person asked the tour guide if you had to be able to draw to go to SCAD, to which the tour guide replied that it isn't necessary for most majors, plus there are classes that would help you along the way. I'll admit, I'm not a terrible artist, but I'm not the best either. The teachers here often make you feel like the absolute WORST. They will tell you what you're doing wrong, but they don't help much in making it right. If you have a scholarship, expect to lose it, because the teachers grade harsh enough to lower your GPA dramatically. I've spent quite a long time and extra money trying to bring mine back up, and it still wasn't at the academic standpoint for graduating on time. Not to mention I have nothing even remotely close to a professional portfolio, which they place a lot of emphasis on creating in order to get hired once you graduate. So instead, I will be seeking a better education elsewhere. Overall, this place really isn't all it's cracked up to be. So long SCAD, you were the worst 5 year mistake of my life.

5th Year Female -- Class 2013