StudentsReview :: The Savannah College of Art and Design - Comments and Student Experiences

Rhode Island School of Design -- Providence, RI
Ringling School of Art and Design -- Sarasota, FL
Pratt Institute -- Brooklyn, NY

The Savannah College of Art and Design

Jul 06 2012Art & Design Department
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Spent 4 great years at SCAD. Great facilities, helpful teachers (you get to pick them, some are known to challenge you, some not, choose wisely, after all, you're paying! :)

Savannah is not the safest place on earth but with simple safety habits, I lived there 4 years and never had a problem. This college can give you a great art education business oriented. really worth the money if you pick the right curriculum, classes, professors and get the most out of them!

4th Year Female -- Class 2008
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Perceived Campus Safety: C+
Mar 04 2012Communications
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
SCAD is an awesome school. IGNORE the negative comments, they are from lazy useless people. If you take advantage of all the school can offer you, you WILL have an awesome experience here. HUNDREDS of top industry professionals pick SCAD to teach, and HUNDREDS of incredible places come to SCAD to recruit. There is no bad departments. There are certainly some professors that aren't quite up to par, but if you complain guess what, it gets taken care of. My Drawing 1 professor was completely insane. So I taped on of the classes, showed it to the Head of Foundations and she suddenly wasn't teaching anymore. If you are pro-active you can make anything happen. The school wants to be the best, they have a lot of investors and strive to gain popularity and status. To the people complaining about having to take Drawing when they're here for film, or some other non-traditional form of art: are you high? Seriously? Drawing well is a still ANY artist MUST have. How can you expect to make good films if you can't even layout a drawing in a pleasing way? Drawings don't move, film does. Foundations are NOT a waste of time; they teach you basic skills that every artist needs. So stop complaining you lazy piece of garbage. This is not a school for lazy people. It's true, many students come in and many students drop out. I am currently a senior and only the most dedicated students are still in my class. You have to work hard, be pro-active and embrace challenges with a good attitude. The food is also perfectly fine. I've lived on campus all 4 years with no issues. If you treat people kindly and with respect (this is the south ya'll) they will help you out. There are TONS of places to eat, not just one. And they improve the quality of the meals every year. Equally, food should NOT be a deciding factor on where you go to school. Unless you suffer from an eating disorder... My only qualm with the school is the newly added Equestrian Department. It makes NO sense whatsoever. Maybe if it was being headed up by a well known figure in the "Horse World" I would be inclined to agree that it deserves a place, but no it's headed up by a SCAD grad who has zero qualifications and a bad attitude to boot. I picked SCAD out of many different schools because of the horses (and the scholarship helped too) and I was treated like dirt by this woman. I am not wealthy, I haven't gone to big horse shows, I don't own a nice horse, therefore I wasn't worth her time. And on that note, this is The Savannah College of Art and Design. I don't see any reason why the school has dumped so much money into a ridiculous horse department. It is just completely illogical.
4th Year Female -- Class 2012
Education Quality: A, Surrounding City: B-
Feb 03 2012Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
First off, let me begin by saying I had a very negative opinion of SCAD my first two years there. There are many reasons that factor into this (move off campus immediately, you'll actually SAVE money doing it) but the biggest one was I wasn't really "in" it. SCAD is not a normal university. You don't go to SCAD to hang out at massive parties all freshman year and drink yourself silly. You go to SCAD to get trained to do what you want to spend the rest of your life doing. With this said, the first year and a half of SCAD is total bullshit. You are required to take art and design classes out of your major before you can actually get down to doing what you came there for. It's ridiculous because many of the students come in with scholarships, which must be maintained with a 3.0 GPA or higher. Now imagine if you will that I came in on scholarship and wanted to get my degree in Film. What classes do I have to take before I get there? Drawing I & II, Life Drawing and 2D and 3D Design. That's 5 classes, at 3,000 a class, 15,000 spent on a total waste of time. And let's say that I suck at drawing? Well, if I don't make a 3.0 or higher, poof, scholarship gone. I'm screwed. No film degree. I transfer.

This happened to many of my peers freshman and sophomore year. It's disappointing because SCAD gives out scholarship money like candy fully knowing that most of the students won't make it four years. But that's not my story.

I went in for graphic design, and switched to advertising in my second year. Freshman year sucked. All truth there. The dorms were awful, the food terrible (it made me sick) and the student services were a joke. (Beware the angry sub shop ladies, just smile and nod).

Sophomore year I moved off campus, which was less expensive (for me, because I wasn't eating the dorm food so that was a waste of money so it evened out with my % loss of scholarship) and things got A LOT better. Half way through that year I got into my major classes and started to realize why SCAD is actually a great place to go to school.

I feel I should say now that a lot of your experience depends on which major you choose to pursue. Freshman year is going to suck, that's a given, be ready for that. But when I started doing what I actually came there to do, I fell in love. SCAD loves to look good... and if you make them look good, they will love the shit out of you. Don't go to classes just to go. Go to classes to be the best student in the damn class. Otherwise, it isn't worth it. You can't spend that kind of money and not try your hardest. (or maybe you can, in which case I hate you).

I've read a lot of reviews saying "SCAD didn't help me find employment after school." Really? You really thought they were going to? No one is going to give it to you, you have to take it. And to take it, you have to be talented. To be talented, you have to go to class, and you have to try your hardest.

Last thing: Think of SCAD as a trade school. You go to be trained in something. It's not a college, it's not an "experience." You have to WANT it, and want it bad. If you do, you've picked the best school to go too. If you want things given to you, don't go to college at all. I graduated in June. I started working a week later at a huge agency all the way across the country in L.A. The last 6 months have taught me a lot, but the biggest thing it's taught me is that I am more experienced, mature, talented and ready than the vast majority of my peers out here. The work load at SCAD was intense but it's made work in the real world easier, because I was ready for the long hours and because I went in DAY ONE knowing exactly what to do. And that's because of my education at SCAD.

4th Year Female -- Class 2007