StudentsReview :: The Savannah College of Art and Design - Comments and Student Experiences

Rhode Island School of Design -- Providence, RI
Ringling School of Art and Design -- Sarasota, FL
Pratt Institute -- Brooklyn, NY

The Savannah College of Art and Design

The college is a business

Jun 08 2005Art & Design Department
The college is a business. They treat you like a number and if it was a business it would be a poor business.

It costs a lot to attend SCAD and the teachers couldn't care less about you or if you need help. Not ALL of them, but I am a junior and have only had two teachers that actaually cared about how I was doing and was there to help. The rest don't care. And the college employees are rude and unprofessional. I will probobly be leaving to attend a different college. Don't waste your money.

The facilities are spread out across the crime rising city of Savannah, GA. A student was just raped in the college parking lot a few weeks ago. Rapes happen frequently and the college security don't get payed well (even though the college makes a ton of money) so they don't work hard enough. The dorms don't pramote any form a social interaction.

Of course when I came on the tour they made up a bunch of lies and hired professional chefs to cook for the parents as a show. I was tricked into coming here.It's a horrible school that doesn't care about education.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2007
Innovation: B+, Education Quality: F

5-11-05

May 11 2005Other
5-11-05
No No No S.C.A.D. is NOT like other schools and Savannah is NOT like other towns. It makes me very upset when I hear students speak of the school in a manner of "crime happens everywhere" . Bull... students are being targeted and SCAD doesnt seem interested in Preventing crime. Before 2003, SCAD's unoffical parking lot for Bergen Hall (the photo building) sat directly across from low income housing. This was a hot spot for crime and NO security was offered there, even after one female student was the victim of an attempted kidnapping and carjacking at gunpoint !!!!! It was park at your own risk...on SCAD property. This was when they still charged for the car stickers to park in all SCAD lots, if your car didnt have a sticker you were towed. Bottom line SCAD wants your money, but not your safety. I have heard that the college has stopped charging for parking stickers. Pretty sneaky! We complain about parking fees not going back into securing the lots and they just cancel the fee instead of providing security? Now in the past few weeks we have another reported Kidnapping and Rape of a student by someone assumed to be a local. Where did this happen ? At the intersection of Fahm and Turner, very,very close to the new freshmen dorms, in eye-sight of Bergen hall and Weston/Dyson House I liked the program at the school and learned so much. Its a shame they cant get it straight.
Preparedness: B- Reputation: C

Prepare yourself for another year of High School

Sep 12 2004Architecture
Prepare yourself for another year of High School socially and a huge work load academically. In High School I had a few good friends and I drifted in and among the MANY clicks my school had. I was really looking forward to getting away from all of that and experiencing the real world and i figured art school was the perfect place to do that. WRONG! Everyone here stays in their "comfort groups" and clicks and doesn't even talk to anyone else who might not fit in. I have a couple of friends here but it really isn't what I expected socially. I deliberately chose not to go to a big party school because that is not what I wanted but here most of the kids are like that. Don't go here if you want to open your mind socially, it won't happen. A lot of the kids are assholes and the ones that aren't are just too whacko to function socially with ANYONE. They sit in their rooms and mope all day.

The academics are good, you will get a great degree and do a LOT of work to get it. They tell you to only take three classes a semester because of the ammount of work you get and they are right. Just get ready for a full load. The good news is that SCAD is pretty well recognised and after one year you can go to just about any other school. I will hopefully be transferring after this year to go somewhere more worth my money and where I can feel like I am in a friendly college atmosphere. Another thing about SCAD is the $money$ involved. This place LOVES money and they will go out of their way to get it out of you. I wouldn't recommend SCAD.

1st Year Male -- Class 2008