StudentsReview :: The Savannah College of Art and Design - Comments and Student Experiences

Rhode Island School of Design -- Providence, RI
Ringling School of Art and Design -- Sarasota, FL
Pratt Institute -- Brooklyn, NY

The Savannah College of Art and Design

I went to SCAD for approximately 3 months,BrightArt & Design Department
I went to SCAD for approximately 3 months, and I can honestly say that I 95% of the time I spent there. It was my 2nd to last choice school, so I admittedly went into it without the best attitude, but I was looking forward to meeting new people and being challenged. Well, to start, orientation was extremely cheesy and kind of lame. We played 5th grade name games and had to listen to guest speakers and such....and I honestly didn't think that it helped me meet people. And oh, the people....some were cool, but a big percentage were self-absorbed assholes who's only concern was what house party they could go to, and where they could score some weed. I like partying as much as the next person, and I would consider myself a "partier", but it seemed like the only reason ANYONE was there was because they wanted to waste mom and dad's money on getting trashed. Not to mention that most people were unnapproachable. Yes you will make friends, but to be perfectly honest, you have to THROW yourself at people. The classes were OK, I found the majority of my professors to be self absorbed and conceited, more concerned about the "experimental" bullshit than whether or not anyone had actual talent. I was an art kid in high school, and wanted to be a fashion designer since I was a kid, and if you want to be a successful designer, don't waste your money on SCAD, go to a good school like FIT or Parsons or RISD. Just because I hated it doesn't mean that you will not, but most of the people I became friends with left after the first year, if that says anything. And multiple people told me that after the first semester (when I left), about 35% of the kids leave! On my floor alone, at least 10 people left. And I can't forget my dorm, Turner House. It kinda sucked, but the room was big. The toilets clog on a routine basis, and the elevators are slow, so use the stairs it's a lot easier. And the food is awful, you can ask anyone. Enjoy your time at SCAD.
1st Year Female -- Class 2010
Useful Schoolwork: B-, Education Quality: F
I would not recommend SCAD.Quite BrightUndecided
I would not recommend SCAD. I went to an excellent high school where I recieved a very strong education. I expected SCAD to be filled with intelligent artists. I was VERY wrong. The liberal arts classes are at about the same level as the classes i took in middle school and most of the students here struggle through them. I do not consider myself to be an excellent artist (drawing,painting,etc..) and therefore expected to be very challenged and one of the the worst students in my foundations classes. i ended up being one of the best...this is not a compliment to my skill. its just that SCAD students dont seem to be as artistic as i expected. Part of this i think could be because scad doesnt require a portfolio to get in therefore anyone who has any interest in art can come. The students are also very self centered. i have never been in a situtation where i say hello to someone in the hall and have them not respond. almost all scad students are like this. the one that are not are leaving or have already left. I don't want to sound unnecessarily harsh about scad, but if you have any interest in getting a liberal arts education and going to a school with a sense of community then scad is not for you. if you didnt recieve a very strong high school education or dont care at all about liberal arts and a large social life involving more than your small group close of friends is not important to you then scad would probably be a good fit.
1st Year Female -- Class 2010
Campus Aesthetics: A, Education Quality: F
I am a 38 year old, single motherSuper BrilliantArt & Design Department
I am a 38 year old, single mother and what is considered a non-traditional student. I gave up a very lucrative career to go back to school and after carrying a 4.0 at another college I came here thinking that I was goign to get this great education. I could go on about the lack of parking and how dangerous this place can be if you have no "city-sense" but what is important is how aweful the school really is. The professors if they can be called that are some of the MOST arrogant people I have ever dealt with in my life. The school is a financial rip off also. I am being told that I need to pay the school back $6800.00 because I had to drop classes that I should not have taken in the first place. If I had had an academic advisor I would have known this but 3 weeks into the course realizing that I was not going to pass and had no other resources I was forced to drop. Now the school is saying that in three weeks I received $6800.00 worth of an education!? Thi is not the first time that this has happened to me here. Not to mention the insults I have received from the instructors here about my age! My age should not be a factor! Am I not paying for my education just like everyone else? I haveheard this age thing from other older students too! This is by far the worst school in so many ways, I could go on and on. These are just a few of my gripes.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2008