StudentsReview :: The Savannah College of Art and Design - Comments and Student Experiences

Rhode Island School of Design -- Providence, RI
Ringling School of Art and Design -- Sarasota, FL
Pratt Institute -- Brooklyn, NY

The Savannah College of Art and Design

SCAD can be a good school.Quite BrightOther
SCAD can be a good school. Alot of my friends really enjoy it here, but as for me, I really just don't. The city is unsafe and unclean. It is very polluted and often leaves me feeling unhealthy. As far as the safety goes, I hate having to go anywhere by myself, but sometimes you just can't help it, you know? I ALWAYS feel at risk, even if I'm in my car with locked doors and the windows rolled up. The city is also crowded and parking is incredibly difficult to find, and the security and the city police just LOVE to ticket you, even when there's barely any reason to. However, if you do intend on going here, I'd still strongly suggest bringing your own car as the bus systems here are totally inept, and walking is, once again, rather unsafe. Im constantly hearing stories of kids getting mugged.

The city is also impecably BORING, and the students here arn't much better. Ive found that most people here are somewhat closed-minded and dull. The only thing that most of the people do here for fun is drinking and smoking in the parking lots. Where are all the fun, artsy people who can make their own fun? Don't get me wrong, that can be fun and all, but if your looking for kids who can vary what they do on the weekends, don't come looking here. The social life is absolutely terrible. Also, if you enjoy going outside (as I do)...forget doing that here. You'll feel way too unsafe. I'm too terrified to take walks on nice spring days on my own for fear of who I'll run into in the city squares.However, Im now in my second year and I have found that some of the teachers are very, very good and that some of the classes are incredibly rewarding. Most of the teachers that Ive encountered, however, were egotistical, unhelpful, or just plain unprepared or irresponsible. Some classes are really just total wastes of time. To me, the overall atmosphere just isn't all that great, but hey, maybe it's the place for you and not me. I even took the final semester off my freshman year because I just couldn't stand being at this school anymore. I plan on getting out of here as soon as I possibly can.

1st Year Female -- Class 2008
Useful Schoolwork: A, Campus Aesthetics: F
My experience at the Savannah College ofAverageFine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
My experience at the Savannah College of Art and Design was short lived. I attended for about a year and I enjoyed most of my stay. There are many problems with SCAD that encompasses campus safety, quality of education, and social life.

SCAD does not have a centralized campus, it is spread throughout the downtown area of Savannah, where some buildings are bordering the dangerous and crime ridden ghettos. Of course, on the campus tours they avoid showing prospective students and families those areas.

The quality of education, which was mostly foundations classes for me, was mixed. I had two really fantastic professors and some other terrible ones. Most are willing to work with students and push them to the edge to get work done. SCAD is not a walk in the park though.

If you plan on attending this college, be forwarned that it is not easy, be prepared to be doing homework all the time. There is a reason classes are taught 4 days a week.

My advice for prospective students is this:If you have your heart set and plan on coming to this school, please do some research, especially in the arena of campus safety. Savannah may be a beautiful city, but there is a dark underbelly. SCAD, it seems, is more interested in money than its students, and puts a lot of that money into the President of the school's pocket. There are great facilities however, that can be taken advantage of by the hard working student. Work hard on your portfolio. I would not recommend attending SCAD personally, but the stories are different for everyone. A strong bit of advice, and something I wish I had done myself is to find out what foundations classes are being taught at SCAD and take them at a community college or state university and then transfer. You will save yourself a lot of trouble and money. The best of luck and do the RESEARCH. I wish I had!

1st Year Male -- Class 2007
Campus Aesthetics: A-, Perceived Campus Safety: D-
The college is a business.Quite BrightArt & Design Department
The college is a business. They treat you like a number and if it was a business it would be a poor business.

It costs a lot to attend SCAD and the teachers couldn't care less about you or if you need help. Not ALL of them, but I am a junior and have only had two teachers that actaually cared about how I was doing and was there to help. The rest don't care. And the college employees are rude and unprofessional. I will probobly be leaving to attend a different college. Don't waste your money.

The facilities are spread out across the crime rising city of Savannah, GA. A student was just raped in the college parking lot a few weeks ago. Rapes happen frequently and the college security don't get payed well (even though the college makes a ton of money) so they don't work hard enough. The dorms don't pramote any form a social interaction.

Of course when I came on the tour they made up a bunch of lies and hired professional chefs to cook for the parents as a show. I was tricked into coming here.It's a horrible school that doesn't care about education.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2007