StudentsReview :: The Savannah College of Art and Design - Comments and Student Experiences

Rhode Island School of Design -- Providence, RI
Ringling School of Art and Design -- Sarasota, FL
Pratt Institute -- Brooklyn, NY

The Savannah College of Art and Design

SCAD-ATL is a good "general knowledge" school forBrightArt & Design Department
SCAD-ATL is a good "general knowledge" school for artists, at about 4 times the price. The ONLY true good thing about this college are the professors and the other students. You won't spend enough time on one subject to really learn its nuances, and everything at this college is overpriced. What most students don't consider before going here is how they are going to pay off this massive student debt, especially because SCAD doesn't help you find jobs after graduation, and if you read anywhere where they claim that, they're lying. I'm sure there might be a few people they have actually helped, but they throw the mass of graduates to the wolves. The lucky ones, and I'm one of the lucky ones, clawed and scratched their way into their prestigious jobs, and SCAD did nothing to help. This school no longer cares about its student body, just the amount of money it can suck out of them.

This school is way too expensive for the jobs that it prepares you for. Irrationally expensive. You aren't making lawyer or doctor bucks, but this place seems to think you are. Also, if you aren't its "baby" major, it will neglect your major in whatever way it can.

Save yourself hundreds of thousands of dollars. Get a real-world degree (economics, business, etc.) from a less expensive college, and use all the money you would have spent on one quarter of classes here to buy art books, online animation/art classes, and supplies. Youtube is an amazing resource, and there are life drawing sessions all around Atlanta.

It sounds cheap, but that's what I wish I had done. I wouldn't have hundreds of thousands of dollars to pay back, and I would have gotten straight into what I wanted to do, not taking stupid electives that had nothing to do with my major or what I wanted to do. You don't want to pay thousands of dollars to watch a video of some stupid, naked guy crawling around on broken glass. Seriously, that whole class was a waste of my life.

Most of the time, in the art industry, the only thing that matters is your attitude and your portfolio. Most people just care that you have a college degree and don't care what it's in or where it's from. Get something that won't take your whole life to pay for, and use the money you would have saved to buy side resources that are teaching you what you want to learn.

There are plenty of sites out there that will let you get feedback from others in the industry and outside of it. Use those for real-person critiques.DO NOT GO TO THIS COLLEGE. The cons far outweigh the pros.

Starting Job: Intern; Preparedness: F Reputation: D
I would say the faculties are decent peopleBrightOther
I would say the faculties are decent people only a few good gems. However the school and administration are downright corrupt. They have been truly screwing me over a lot. Scad is nothing but profiting my life with some piece of paper. I have closure with them soon and will be rolling up my degree and smoking it.
5th Year Male -- Class 2014
Campus Maintenance: A+, Useful Schoolwork: F
After attending what I thought was my "dreamQuite BrightArt & Design Department
After attending what I thought was my "dream school" for less that a full year (two quarters) I left with an absolute distaste in my mouth. SCAD is nothing more than a horrendous excuse for an art school. First off, the school lacks the accreditations that places like FIDM, RISD and Parsons have. Second, the faculty in the department I was in (Fashion) were arrogant, rude and unhelpful. I had taken almost half of my required fashion classes at another school across the country and gotten everything from a B- to several B+ and a few A's in these classes and yet they had the audacity to tell me that I needed to retake them when my work was above that of several of their senior students!

Also, the tuition for this place is laughable. The scholarships are a joke. I wasted twenty-five grand on six classes that I could have taken in one semester at my local State University for only five!!! They are robber-barrons who make you live on their less-than-accomitable housing to get full scholarship, otherwise you only get seventy percent. These "dorms" are renovated motels from the sixties and seventies that look like they would fail an asbestos test today. The "employment rate" they boast is fabricated and I guarantee you most graduates get temp jobs or part-time internships that end and they are left in crippling debt. Trust me, it is NOT WORTH going into debt for a college degree. NOTHING IS WORTH DEBT!!!

Finally, something is wrong with that president of theirs. She is just not right and I wouldn't doubt that there is something illegal going on at the administrative level. Watch, within the next five years or so an investigation will be launched into that school and with luck she and her tenured jokes of professors will be indicted. So, all-in-all I have absolutely nothing good to say about this school. I urge you to go the cheap route and either get an art degree at your local university or skip college all together and start honing your craft. I'm just grateful I got out of there in time to realize what a joke the place is.

1st Year Male -- Class 2016