StudentsReview :: The Savannah College of Art and Design - Comments and Student Experiences

Rhode Island School of Design -- Providence, RI
Ringling School of Art and Design -- Sarasota, FL
Pratt Institute -- Brooklyn, NY

The Savannah College of Art and Design

Feb 10 2014Other
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Pros:
- The building is nice, they've spent a lot of time (and our money) creating an environment suitable for creativity and education.

- I have had a handful of classes where I learned a lot of useful information.
Cons:
- Obviously this place is expensive, but it's also not worth it.
- I never developed any close friendships with the people here because they are mostly arrogant and form cliques. Not to mention most of them reek of alcohol/drugs.

- While the building itself is nice, the environment around it isn't very safe. There have been several security breaches, as well as car break-ins and robberies at gun-point. Don't travel in this area at night.

- The HUB food is expensive, and not even that great.
- It's claimed that since the classes at SCAD-Atlanta are smaller, learning is more "hands-on", but most of the teachers will tell you to improve on your own time. I've been attending the SCAD-Atlanta campus for about 5 years, and the most I've gotten out of it is large amounts of stress, financial debt, and an inferiority complex. Prior to enrolling into SCAD, I attended their SCAD-Day event, where they give tours to prospective students. Obviously, this is where they try to persuade you to attend SCAD by sugar-coating any information regarding the school. I remember when I went to this event, another person asked the tour guide if you had to be able to draw to go to SCAD, to which the tour guide replied that it isn't necessary for most majors, plus there are classes that would help you along the way. I'll admit, I'm not a terrible artist, but I'm not the best either. The teachers here often make you feel like the absolute WORST. They will tell you what you're doing wrong, but they don't help much in making it right. If you have a scholarship, expect to lose it, because the teachers grade harsh enough to lower your GPA dramatically. I've spent quite a long time and extra money trying to bring mine back up, and it still wasn't at the academic standpoint for graduating on time. Not to mention I have nothing even remotely close to a professional portfolio, which they place a lot of emphasis on creating in order to get hired once you graduate. So instead, I will be seeking a better education elsewhere. Overall, this place really isn't all it's cracked up to be. So long SCAD, you were the worst 5 year mistake of my life.

5th Year Female -- Class 2013
Campus Aesthetics: B-, Education Quality: F
Dec 11 2013Art & Design Department
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
This has been my first quarter at SCAD and I like it here.I haven't run into anybody that hasn't liked it here. I love that you only have classes four days a week and the long winter break you get. You get to meet a lot of people from all over the world. The diversity is unlike any other college. I have three international roommates. In my classes we tried to help each other out I didn't feel that it was cut throat at all. I feel you will find like all colleges some people who are friendly and others that aren't. The professors are helpful mine were at least but you have to work hard like all colleges. I didn't have time to go to any of the activities or do any of the clubs but they seemed interesting especially the drink and draw that one of my roommates went to weekly and she really liked it. I had read reviews from this college on here before I went and I finally decided I would try and I can't say I'm sorry for going here. The cost is a lot to pay for a college education. The downside is that you don't get to take more than three classes per quarter but the upside to that is you can really focus on what your learning. As far as the crime goes during the day seemed to be fine when I was out but be careful anytime. Two scad students were robbed while I was down there in the evening during winter quarter but they didn't get hurt. My advice is to just be careful. It's like most cites. My experience is different from others.
1st Year Female -- Class 2015
Innovation: A+, Perceived Campus Safety: C
Dec 09 2013Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Pros:
-There are some very talented students here.
-The city is beautiful and inspiring in so many ways.
-I had one incredible professor.
-I met two of my very close friends here.
-Food was pretty decent.
Cons:
-Cost. JEEZ THIS PLACE IS NOT WORTH THE MONEY. Unless you have considerable scholarship, I see no need in spending this much at this particular school. The classes and facilities were not worth the cost.

-Drugs. I'm going to be honest. If you have ever had a drug problem, this is not the place for you to go. Very wealthy kids and drugs are abound here.

-Friends. On a similar note, a lot of the people you meet here will not be your friends. There is a profound emptiness in the people who go here. You will not be cared for. You might party with them, but the second your in deep it's sayonara.

-Academics. In the one year I attended, granted, it was foundations classes, I felt no challenge what so ever. I felt as though these were high school classes, and the students could get away with projects done a night before it's due.

-Motivation. The few talented students here are immensely talented, but there is not enough competition here to keep you thoroughly engaged whatsoever.

-Clubs. Basically non-existent. As opposed to other universities, where it's a great way to make friends, here it's just something to show off on tours.

Personally, when I left and ended up transferring to a state university (which I dreaded doing during my application process my senior year) I saw my art actually improve. I was a film major at SCAD, and it was only when I left SCAD that I actually got the tools to make my own short films that I could be proud of. I'm a lot healthier here and my grades seem well earned. I feel pride in myself as a student and an artist, and that's something I didn't have at SCAD.Before you attend SCAD, please keep the cost in mind. The classes and facilities do not reflect the cost, and I actually see them as being sub-par to the public university facilities and classes. This cost attracts a certain mindset of people that can be incredibly hard to relate to if you're not one of them. This place is not at all what it looks like in the tours. Please ask students there how they feel about it. Read reviews. Consider other options HARD. Remember, private schools can more easily get away with doing sneaky things with your money.

1st Year Female -- Class 2016