StudentsReview ™ :: The Savannah College of Art and Design - Comments and Student Experiences

Rhode Island School of Design -- Providence, RI
Ringling School of Art and Design -- Sarasota, FL
Pratt Institute -- Brooklyn, NY

The Savannah College of Art and Design

Pro: Well Maintained Campus

Jun 03 2012Perfomance Arts
Pro: Well Maintained Campus
Con: Campus is spread out all over Savannah
Pro: Classes are small
Con: Classes are too short and only meet twice a week. Students pay for 2 1/2 hour blacks of instruction. Too mnay classes in MPRA often end over and hour early.

Pro: SCAD is fairly easy to get into
Con: SCAD Lets in too many spoiled brats
Pro: There are a few talented hard working creative people
Con: Far too many slackers bring down the reputation
Pro: SCAD has an attendance policy. (5 and Fail)
CON: SCAD has numerous "chosen" ones allowed to skip numerous classes, do poorly on tests and exams, and still receive A's and B's.(FYi: A class action lawsuit is pending over unfair grading.)

Pro: Large student body for an Art School
Con: Most students (especially the ones in performing arts) are arrogant, unfriendly, rude, and selfish.

SCAD is like going back to high school, only there are less rules and the work is easier. Do not expect much of challenge, unless you are an architecture student. SCAD pumps out 1000's of useless art/film/drama wannabes every year. Between them and the Art Institutes of America, the labor market is flooded with ignorant immature people thinking they are entitled to job in an art related field.

I am lucky, there's a job waiting for me when upon graduation. Finishing a degree in performing arts was a condition for higher levels of employment. Fortunately I transferred in and only had to attend here for a year and half.

It's truly appalling how poor the levels of instruction in MPRA are. It's as though the professors know that that have mediocre talent to work with and therefore teach accordingly. Sure there are a few that rise to the top, but the sad reality is that most of them only got to the top b/c they were one the chosen ones. These chosen ones have talents alright, it may be performing, but it's certainly not the arts.

My advice to anyone wanting to study Fashion/Film/TV/Performing Arts/Dramatic Writing at SCAD is to ask yourself these questions:

1. Do I appreciate talent and hard word?
2. Have I ever made money with my art/talent?
3. Is my work better than that of a typical SCAD graduate?
4. Is there a cheaper school that can do the same thing?
5. Will I need to take loans to attend SCAD?
6. Could I get work without a degree?If you answered "Yes" to at least 4 of these questions then you should probably go to another school or better yet, get to work right away. Seek out private mentors and internships. Nothing sparks creatively and higher levels of skills more than actually doing the work.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2013
Campus Aesthetics: B+, Education Quality: F

Please stay away if you can

Apr 30 2012Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
Please stay away if you can. I'm a 4th year Graphic Design student at SCAD Atlanta and sadly I don't have one single good thing to say about this school. On top of having really creative ways of stealing your money, SCAD simply does not give a crap about its students. I actually worked at SCAD admissions as a tour guide and the president wrote us e-mails basically asking us to lie to potential students. We had to sugarcoat everything and encourage students to pay thousands of dollars for crappy general ed courses because according to SCAD: "they're better." If you come here be prepared to spend an extra 15k on supplies, to sit on uncomfortable chairs that replace the comfortable ones because they look better on camera and put up with the most ridiculous made-up rules. Also, if you ever feel like complaining to your superiors, you can forget about it. Not only do we not have a student body to represent us, SCAD won't let us have one. So seriously dude, if you got accepted into MICA or Pratt or whatever art school... just go there instead.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2013
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: F

I'm currently studying Fashion Marketing & Management at

Apr 16 2012Other
I'm currently studying Fashion Marketing & Management at SCAD. The Program is fairly new, but that is no excuse to SCAD, which does have the money and contacts to hire INCREDIBLE professors.

I dislike most of my professors in my major. Most of them are very short-sided on the fashion industry. They have their specializations, and what aesthetics they like and are not open-minded to much else. I know that is a problem amongst professors at all art colleges, but based on whether a professor likes your aesthetic and you are not, can really be the deciding factor between a good grade, or a completely failing grade in this department.

If you are looking at studying Fashion Marketing and Management here, you also won't get into any of the classes you need to, and your department chair will not care either. Most of my friends that are also share this major with me are transferring out. I'd say the returning rate for this major is less than 40%, that's how truly messed up it is.

Savannah is also an extremely crime ridden city. If you send your kid here they aren't going to always be in the nice rich downtown Broughton area. They are going to be going to academic halls in the ghetto parts of town, like "car wash" fronts that are actually crack trade businesses. So if you send your kid here, arm them with two major forms of self-protection, because the security here is horrible too.There have been mutiple nights where i've had nightmares about all the crack heads wandering into our halls since they've cut down on hall security guards..

3rd Year Female -- Class 2013