StudentsReview :: The Savannah College of Art and Design - Comments and Student Experiences

Rhode Island School of Design -- Providence, RI
Ringling School of Art and Design -- Sarasota, FL
Pratt Institute -- Brooklyn, NY

The Savannah College of Art and Design

I am a junior in illustration with a

Nov 09 2010Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
I am a junior in illustration with a minor in painting at SCAD. Personally I think this College is amazing, especially after moving from England to come to school here. SCAD is situated in Savannah Ga, Atlanta Ga, Hong Kong, Lacoste, as well as E learning, each have their own individual scenes and advantages depending on your personality, and as a SCAD student you are entitled to join any.

Across the board the teachers are highly skilled and very approachable, each teacher has there own way of working, which adds to the skills you learn, and it is always worth the effort to talk to your professor, after reading the reviews already posted, it is clear that all the negative comments come from students that didn?t make an effort to talk or learn.

SCAD?s security is improving all the time with guards posted at every building and residence hall, as well as constant security patrols. There are security poles posted outside each facility with a panic button connecting you directly to SCAD Security. Bus?s run every 15- 20 minutes to minimise time outside of SCAD facilities, these buses can now be tracked via gps on MySCAD or via phone apps so you can make sure your bus is on its way before exiting a facility. If needed there are numbers to call in order to get a ride from SCAD security to any residence or building from a facility even if you live off campus.

In terms of Education just looking at SCAD?s Illustration program; was the only U.S college program to be named as one of the most innovative programs in the world? placing in the top 5. Are Faculty Have won various awards and have to have produced prolific work in the field of illustration in order to be considered, producing work from the New Yorker to Rolling Stone. The professors also have to remain practicing artist in their field in order to stay at SCAD in order to stay in tune with current illustration trends. The classes are rigorous and work as if you are producing work for the real world with the added benefit of one on one tuition. With all the work you do the department sends to various major international compactions for you, like 3x3 magazine, Society of Illustrators to name a few.

The connections the faculty and university have are passed on to the students, in the past year alone we have artists such as: James Jean, Anita Kunz, Sam Weber, Chris Sickels, Yuko Shimizu to name a few, not only giving lectures on their work and experience but also teaching workshops and getting to know the students. Art Directors from major agencies and publications such as Rolling Stone magazine and The New Yorker frequently come with projects just to look at student work, which is the most valuable networking resource in itself.

Heres a little information about each campus:
Savannah;
The town is historic an immensely beautiful an inspirational place, with 11 SCAD owned art galleries in the historic district, running shows and computations constantly. There are dozens of local owned studio and gallery spaces open to students to host and show their own work with an underground music scene to go with it. De sotto row is an artist-based community that works with local artists in commercial based work, which is always looking for new illustration students, and is a great way to start working outside of SCAD.

Atlanta;
Is a complete urban environment and is one of the biggest business hubs, SCAD constantly works with major companies; from Coke Cola to Pixar animation and JCB, to produce assignments for students, to get real world experience. Most assignments end up in production and a lot of students end up with internships and jobs from this.

Hong Kong;
Considered the most culturally diverse and vibrant cities in the work, and as a SCAD student you can go and study and embrace with the exact same excellence in teaching and facility offered at every SCAD campus

I have to say honestly this is just a brief look it to the attributes of SCAD. And if you are really considering both colleges it is well worth it for you to visit both and find out first hand.

We offer SCAD Days as well as chances to sit in on classes to really give you a glimpse in to SCAD life

I hope this helped

2nd Year Male -- Class 2012
Education Quality: A+, Campus Aesthetics: B

I honestly had not heard of SCAD until

Nov 08 2010Video/Media
I honestly had not heard of SCAD until my senior year and only went there because I was given a very generous scholarship. I must say that it has been the best decision I have ever made. The faculty are industry experienced, the course work is rigorous, and there is so much to do. You get out what you put in, and I am working my hardest to ensure I have a job when I graduate and SCAD's Career Services department does all they can to help you as well. I am majoring in Visual Effects and it still blows my mind that I am learning from people who worked on some of my favorite movies. I also think it's unheard of how some of the biggest companies like Pixar, Rhythm and Hues, Blizzard, and Lucas Arts come to SCAD to recruit on an almost quarterly basis in some cases. If you are truly interested in SCAD then I recommend doing some real research and you will be amazed with what you find.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2012
Education Quality: A+, Perceived Campus Safety: B-

Before reading, consider my situation: Japanese-American Pai

Feb 16 2011Art & Design Department
Before reading, consider my situation: Japanese-American Painting Major from Iowa. Need not take any non-art-related courses because of AP classes and dual credit courses from high school. On 2 scholarships and a grant, otherwise paying with a loan which I shall pay myself (not my parents). Was somewhat pressured by family as well as personally tempted to attend a University for a degree in Mathematics or Physics, so coming to an Art School was a VERY DIFFICULT and HEAVY decision.

It's difficult to sum up SCAD's student body or faculty in one world or two, because I've met some of the most diverse groups of people here. I've met closeminded, racist, arrogant rich kids (which aren't few) as well as extremely bright, driven and inspiring students (which aren't few either, but compared to the former, are RARER in general). It just takes a bit of exploring.

As for Faculty, most generally know what they are doing. I've had my share of mediocre teachers... but there are some outstanding educators who are well worth the money (Professor John Rise for one).

Foundation studies are extremely important for developing a common artistic language and community among artists and SCAD understands this well... Those who claim that Foundations are irrelevant and a waste of money do NOT understand this. And those who fail to understand quickly drop--because SCAD, like any college, is NOT EASY. Professor Hamilton was very tough in Art History but I learned much (you just have to do your part of the work!) and got perfect exams. In Drawing and Design classes, the professors really challenged me to do much more and harder work than I've ever before... and surrounded by awesome artists, I felt extremely excited and energized. My professors treated me like a professional and I was more than willing to pour 12 hours a day into drawing, Friday through Sunday. If you can't do that, forget art. People without that drive won't get far in this industry anyway.

There ARE rich and snooty people who are mediocre at art, alright. But those people quickly disappear when they realize art education isn't something easy that you can get with your parent's money. And as you advance towards your degree, you realize that the ones who remain are the best and brightest in the world.

Savannah isn't the safest place in the world. I hear there was a drug raid last quarter with 2 SCAD students involved (who ended up getting shot) or muggings this quarter. There are a lot of tourists and people who don't know where they're going around. It's not as bad a place as more metropolitan areas, but it's not a haven either. Be smart about it, use common sense, take precautions, travel in groups... I've had no problems and have felt safe so far.

I eat extremely healthy and SCADCAFE is dissatisfying... I cannot eat out anywhere because of high sodium content, and SCAD food is very salty (though my friends disagree and pour on the salt and dressing. so I guess that's for those concerned about getting a stroke at 35). It depends on who the cook is that day. SCAD food is VERY expensive and usually not worth the money ($8-10ish per meal) so I am planning to live off campus and without the meal plan.

SCAD has a LOT of clubs, and Residence life staff and the Student Activities groups have things to do all the time, from dances to pajama parties and movie showings... to galleries, visiting artists, workshops, free food, hypnotists, and more. The gym is nice, the Library is impressive when it comes to Magazines and art-related texts (but kinda mediocre when it comes to sciences) and there are lots of good restaurants and interesting shops peppered around the city. Classes require heavy work, so you never run out of things to do.

Administration, I'd have to look into more. So far I've had no problems with the system so far, and SCAD generously gave me a free year worth credits for my college-level courses/exams, but all systems have it's glitches and corruption... You have to learn to outsmart the system.

SCAD has its negatives, but what overrides it all for me is the impressive number of stellar artists. From all over the world the best artists gather (though there are lots of mediocre people too, like I said earlier, those tend to disappear over time). When I go visit other Art Institutions, student work looks like... STUDENT work. They don't look like they poured their heart and soul into it. They don't look professional and serious. They look like drawings from photographs done in a hurry just to get it done... I don't feel passion, talent, competition, professionalism... that SCAD offers.

The SCAD classroom is simply at a higher level than that of other Art schools. That is why I am here... Not because the food tastes good or the clubs are fun or the classes are easy. I am here to BECOME AN ARTIST.

If the thought of Art History class exams that makes you memorize 100 artworks at a time scares you, or you're too lazy to go draw after dinner til midnight every day... you're not gonna cut it. But if you have the determination to be the world's best, SCAD is for you.

1st Year Female -- Class 2013