StudentsReview :: The Savannah College of Art and Design - Comments and Student Experiences

Rhode Island School of Design -- Providence, RI
Ringling School of Art and Design -- Sarasota, FL
Pratt Institute -- Brooklyn, NY

The Savannah College of Art and Design

Pros:Quite BrightFine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
-There are some very talented students here.
-The city is beautiful and inspiring in so many ways.
-I had one incredible professor.
-I met two of my very close friends here.
-Food was pretty decent.
-Cost. JEEZ THIS PLACE IS NOT WORTH THE MONEY. Unless you have considerable scholarship, I see no need in spending this much at this particular school. The classes and facilities were not worth the cost.

-Drugs. I'm going to be honest. If you have ever had a drug problem, this is not the place for you to go. Very wealthy kids and drugs are abound here.

-Friends. On a similar note, a lot of the people you meet here will not be your friends. There is a profound emptiness in the people who go here. You will not be cared for. You might party with them, but the second your in deep it's sayonara.

-Academics. In the one year I attended, granted, it was foundations classes, I felt no challenge what so ever. I felt as though these were high school classes, and the students could get away with projects done a night before it's due.

-Motivation. The few talented students here are immensely talented, but there is not enough competition here to keep you thoroughly engaged whatsoever.

-Clubs. Basically non-existent. As opposed to other universities, where it's a great way to make friends, here it's just something to show off on tours.

Personally, when I left and ended up transferring to a state university (which I dreaded doing during my application process my senior year) I saw my art actually improve. I was a film major at SCAD, and it was only when I left SCAD that I actually got the tools to make my own short films that I could be proud of. I'm a lot healthier here and my grades seem well earned. I feel pride in myself as a student and an artist, and that's something I didn't have at SCAD.Before you attend SCAD, please keep the cost in mind. The classes and facilities do not reflect the cost, and I actually see them as being sub-par to the public university facilities and classes. This cost attracts a certain mindset of people that can be incredibly hard to relate to if you're not one of them. This place is not at all what it looks like in the tours. Please ask students there how they feel about it. Read reviews. Consider other options HARD. Remember, private schools can more easily get away with doing sneaky things with your money.

1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: F
After attending for less than one semester, IBrightArt & Design Department
After attending for less than one semester, I have found SCAD to be an illegal money pit where professors make you feel like you are an idiot and don't care about you and your education. Classes last 2 hours and 30 minutes with a total of 3 classes a day. They compare you with advanced art students, when they don't even bother to teach. Tution is $10,099 every 3 months and I feel like I was robbed. They have no shame in what they are doing to their students, and they should lose their Accreditation. Their unethical scholarship of less than $200 per every 3 months lowers to $50 if you decide not to live in their $2,000 per 3 months dorm, which is actually a slightly renovated motel with concrete flooring and broken air conditioning. I would advise you not to attend, and if you are a parent, I would recommend you to look somewhere else for an educational option. They recently renovated their website to make the school look so attractive, but they are full of lies. Instead of having actual chairs, they have wooden stools with no support and expect you to sit on that for 2 hours and a half. Their $2,500 per 3 months meal plan is disgusting with extremely small portions and the employees look at you with anger if you ask for more quantity. It is very sad that the Department of Education does not close this school down.
1st Year Male -- Class 2017
The buses are alwaysBrightFine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
The buses are always horribly late. There's a massive drug culture. I couldn't find anyone who wanted to be friends who wasn't smoking pot. The buildings are far away and not practical to get to. There is no unified campus or campus feel. The surrounding area is dangerous.
1st Year Female -- Class 2014