StudentsReview :: The Savannah College of Art and Design - Comments and Student Experiences

Rhode Island School of Design -- Providence, RI
Ringling School of Art and Design -- Sarasota, FL
Pratt Institute -- Brooklyn, NY

The Savannah College of Art and Design

My biggest gripe would

Mar 19 2012Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
My biggest gripe would have to be the institutional racism and misandry at this college. I will be suing SCAD next fall. I am sick of the professors and students using racial slurs in critiques to assignments. This has to stop, now!
2nd Year Male -- Class 2001
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Faculty Accessibility: F

I attended scad as a different major, and

Feb 29 2012Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
I attended scad as a different major, and switched in fashion marketing. I will be leaving after this spring quarter and transferring because SCAD is awful. For two years I've watched my money go to nothing. Supplies have been bought for classes I never needed in either majors I have been in. Teacher are condescending, some are even just out of SCAD's graduate program, and some can't even speak english.

Good luck if you ever want to do ANYTHING in fashion because the classes fill up within the second day of registration, and good luck ever getting in after that. Oh, and if you don't get in a class, you're "behind" in the industry. I don't trust SCAD's career advising, so I've done all my internship applications and such on my own, and have better luck than I feel I would have had with SCAD's advising.

The advisors don't care to help, they don't care to listen, and they are rude people.
The money is a huge factor here. If you got it - they want it.
The food freshman year made me gain so much weight, and I was completely malnourished. I stopped eating meat because of SCAFE. They reuse their food as much as possible, I promise. Scad is just not what the hype makes it to be. I used to think I paid for the name, but now I'm embarrassed to even have any association to the name.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2014
Campus Maintenance: C+, Education Quality: F

I'm currently studying Fashion Marketing & Management at

Apr 16 2012Other
I'm currently studying Fashion Marketing & Management at SCAD. The Program is fairly new, but that is no excuse to SCAD, which does have the money and contacts to hire INCREDIBLE professors.

I dislike most of my professors in my major. Most of them are very short-sided on the fashion industry. They have their specializations, and what aesthetics they like and are not open-minded to much else. I know that is a problem amongst professors at all art colleges, but based on whether a professor likes your aesthetic and you are not, can really be the deciding factor between a good grade, or a completely failing grade in this department.

If you are looking at studying Fashion Marketing and Management here, you also won't get into any of the classes you need to, and your department chair will not care either. Most of my friends that are also share this major with me are transferring out. I'd say the returning rate for this major is less than 40%, that's how truly messed up it is.

Savannah is also an extremely crime ridden city. If you send your kid here they aren't going to always be in the nice rich downtown Broughton area. They are going to be going to academic halls in the ghetto parts of town, like "car wash" fronts that are actually crack trade businesses. So if you send your kid here, arm them with two major forms of self-protection, because the security here is horrible too.There have been mutiple nights where i've had nightmares about all the crack heads wandering into our halls since they've cut down on hall security guards..

3rd Year Female -- Class 2013