StudentsReview :: The Savannah College of Art and Design - Comments and Student Experiences

Rhode Island School of Design -- Providence, RI
Ringling School of Art and Design -- Sarasota, FL
Pratt Institute -- Brooklyn, NY

The Savannah College of Art and Design

Feb 29 2012Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I attended scad as a different major, and switched in fashion marketing. I will be leaving after this spring quarter and transferring because SCAD is awful. For two years I've watched my money go to nothing. Supplies have been bought for classes I never needed in either majors I have been in. Teacher are condescending, some are even just out of SCAD's graduate program, and some can't even speak english.

Good luck if you ever want to do ANYTHING in fashion because the classes fill up within the second day of registration, and good luck ever getting in after that. Oh, and if you don't get in a class, you're "behind" in the industry. I don't trust SCAD's career advising, so I've done all my internship applications and such on my own, and have better luck than I feel I would have had with SCAD's advising.

The advisors don't care to help, they don't care to listen, and they are rude people.
The money is a huge factor here. If you got it - they want it.
The food freshman year made me gain so much weight, and I was completely malnourished. I stopped eating meat because of SCAFE. They reuse their food as much as possible, I promise. Scad is just not what the hype makes it to be. I used to think I paid for the name, but now I'm embarrassed to even have any association to the name.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2014
Campus Maintenance: C+, Education Quality: F
Feb 16 2012Art & Design Department
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I completely regret my decision to go to the "school". First off, the foundations, are terrible. It was pretty much just high school art classes. I knew how to do everything from all my foundations back in like the 9th grade. The art history classes are a joke. They expect you to take like 5 of these depending on your major (i was a game design major and had 5 which is stupid) and each exam you need to memorize like 200 slides and only used like 15 for the test.

When I got in my major, I found a lot of the professors to be either way to full of themselves, arrogant, horrible at teaching, and just plain rude if you weren't one of their favorites. Most of the classes I took had nothing to do with what I wanted to do, especially since they mess with the course rotation so much that the classes I wanted were never offered. I wet to be an environment artist, and took only 1 maybe 2 classes that had anything to do with it while all the other were character design, level design, or programming or something. Even when I tried talking to the chair of the department about how my money was being wasted he pretty much just said "oh well that sucks for you". DO NOT GO TO THIS PIECE OF CRAP SCHOOL!!Don't even get me started on the president. She only cares about herself and your money. They dont take student complaints and suggestions into consideration, they do what they want with your money, for example to equestrian center that was put in, no need for it, the president wanted it for her daughter or something. They dont update the computer, my computer that was 4 years old, had a broken RAM slot, and was going bad ran better and worked with Maya and such programs better than the computers at Monty did. And recently they had taken out the good comfortable chairs and replaced them with was that will probably give you back problems by the end of your first quarter there. They say you need to put a ton of time into your work, but god forbid if you get caught sleeping at your desk after hours (trying to take a small catnap after 2 or 3 all nighters) they force you to leave the building. They do not care for their students and just wants your money.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2008
Surrounding City: B, Individual Value: F
Jan 19 2012Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I would not recommend SCAD to any transfer or new students. The tuition is outrageous and the quality of the programs are poor. There are no intern jobs in Georgia and the faculty are not updated. I would definitely a school like FIT for fashion, art and design. The tuition is much lower, their programs are tied to industries and they have connections all over the world. Students get good intern and real jobs upon graduation