StudentsReview ™ :: The Savannah College of Art and Design - Comments and Student Experiences

Rhode Island School of Design -- Providence, RI
Ringling School of Art and Design -- Sarasota, FL
Pratt Institute -- Brooklyn, NY

The Savannah College of Art and Design

Don't go there

Aug 20 2011Perfomance Arts
Don't go there. The school has it's priorities all wrong. They're making sports teams at an art school so SCAD can try and be "cool"? They are also giving these students who play them full rides...WE ARE AN ART SCHOOL. The equestrian center is nice but we don't need one. The only reason there is horse back riding is because Paula Wallace's daughter wanted there to be one...Don't get me started on the college president. She attends little to no events held by the school. She and the rest of the school are just interested in your money. My first five emails in my school email account were about giving the school money. You will see why so many freshman don't even return winter quarter. You will take classes that have nothing to do with your major and those professors think they are God's gift to the world. Most pretentious faculty who only teach the students the same thing.
1st Year Male -- Class 2015
Surrounding City: B+, Education Quality: F

>I am embarrassed to admit that I attended

Aug 02 2011Perfomance Arts
>I am embarrassed to admit that I attended this "school".
There may not enough words to describe my anger, frustration, and utter contempt for this organization, but I will try.

>They claim to have an audition process. Really?! I auditioned, submitted letters of recommendation, personal references, photos of performances and technical work, and a professional resume that dates back 10+ years. I was told my audition went well and was accepted a few days later. However, the truth is; The Performing Arts Dept lets anyone in. That is, if they have enough money to attend SCAD. Asking around revealed that many of my classmates never did an audition, nor had many of them ever been on stage in their lives.

>Most of performance instructors (except for the Technical ones) have no idea what they are doing because the actual class work has very little to do with the course descriptions.

>Most of the freshmen and numerous upper level students have little to no experience in theater. Some are so afraid and insulted of and by physical contact that they literally spazz-out during improv and dance classes.

The worst instructor there is a hack called Majacowski. She is the voice for performance instructor, but her classes are really just $8000 yoga classes. AND she's not even good at doing those! In the last week you will recite a sonnet... That's all. No dialects, no styles, no training of any kind! A total waste of money! Her classes actual drive people out of the department. It's a wonder she's still allowed to teach there.

>Most of the seniors are quite snotty, and very unfriendly. Save for being more confidently arrogant they are no more talented than when they started.

>I went to this school because they appeared organized and well funded. After the drop-add period nothing could be further from the truth. This school is 95% dedicated to recruitment and only 5% to the ones (like me) foolish enough to blunder in and attend. (I understand that SCAD has not always been like this.)

>I have studied and worked in Theater for going on 20 years. I thought having a degree would help in my long term goal of becoming a teacher. It still may, but I should have gone to a conservatory.

>There was no fellowship at SCAD. The students were scared, boring, flippant, and VERY unfriendly. Probably because they know they were accepted to college for their money and not any discernable talent. I would not want to be someplace that foments such deep seated feelings of inferiority.

>I am now at a conservatory. The work is harder and plentiful, but 100% more challenging and rewarding. Despite my years in the profession I feel like I?m learning and growing. My new fellow students are courageous, talented, motivated, and fun. Despite the fact I?m 10+ years older than most of them they have made me feel more welcome than I ever was at SCAD.

>If you are a serious about becoming an artist or a serious artist of any kind but desire guidance and refinement, do the right thing and attend a conservatory!

>Stay away from SCAD.

Basic resources like quality printing is almost never

Jun 12 2011Communications
Basic resources like quality printing is almost never available or students are charged gross amounts to use them. There is no infirmary or nurse available in case of emergencies. In the foundation courses and most courses involving learning new software, students are forced to teach themselves or seek outside help. Students have to repeat major courses if they don't get a B, which is just another way for the school to make money. There is little or no time to do anything outside of school due to the amount of work.
4th Year Female -- Class 2011