StudentsReview :: The Savannah College of Art and Design - Comments and Student Experiences

Rhode Island School of Design -- Providence, RI
Ringling School of Art and Design -- Sarasota, FL
Pratt Institute -- Brooklyn, NY

The Savannah College of Art and Design

This school is what you make of it

Aug 11 2007Telecommunications
This school is what you make of it. I know that sounds cliché, but it is entirely true.
There are some facts that hold true for many students: -Savannah is hot, dirty, and crime-ridden.
-Depending on your department, there are many professors that are unqualified.
-The school IS set up to take all of your money and give nothing back.
-Most of the staff is unhappy with the administration most of the time. With that being said, there is an atmosphere here that promotes people with internal motivation to succeed in the respective fields. There are also a lot of parties and social things for kids who know who to go outside once in awhile. Also, each major is different. Some majors I feel receive very little support from the college, but for my particular field it has been wonderful. If it is convenient for you to go to SCAD for whatever reason, do it; be prepared to work for yourself and maybe a few key faculty members. If you have choices with some other, more well-known schools, talk to those students and see if that is a better place.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2008
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Campus Aesthetics: F

This is an arts school catered towards BUILDING

May 04 2009Industrial Design
This is an arts school catered towards BUILDING a career - not simply getting a job. It teaches you to understand your field as well as the market.

There are a few things that need attention - the transportation system (although partly its the way the city is laid out that makes it inconvenient for a bus to charter around students), some classes, and the level of brightness in students.

The student body is quirky, to say the least, but fun and interesting nonetheless. I was expecting to be more challenged by my fellow peers and in my classes. I did meet a good amount of amazing students, but met many more that weren't as interested in going that extra mile. Sometimes the courses are a bit "hand-held" (I don't know if it reflects the "art student" culture/perception...).The faculty is amazing (at least the ones I've had - in the industrial design department and in the General Ed. classes). They are so helpful, fun, interesting and involved. There are a few I could pick, but none that I would say definitely did not meet my standards.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2009
Faculty Accessibility: A, Collaboration/Competitive: B+

If you visit an expensive restaurant, you expect

May 22 2013Industrial Design
If you visit an expensive restaurant, you expect GREAT service, GREAT food, and a GREAT atmosphere. If not, you are being ripped off. Right?

SCAD is just that. A lot of money invested in public relations, marketing, advertising, recruiting - but that college itself and the quality of education is not of consistent quality.

One fine example of this sub-par service is how poor the facilities were maintained. I could be picky and say there is some littler outside the buildings and the toilets getting clogged. But when I visited the architecture building to use the computer lab and found food garbage on the floor, computers with dirty screens, sticky tables that hadn't been wiped down in months, and a noticeably dirty carpet...

That's when sh*t hit the fan. HOW in the world am I paying such a high tuition for this level of service??? I can clearly remember my PUBLIC elementary school having cleaner facilities than this. Why isn't maintenance a priority for SCAD? And why do people that attend SCAD have such low-standards. I, for one, demand a better experience for the mount of money the school is asking me to pay.

I can't speak for every building, as I'm sure some are more desirable than others. But from my experience as an Industrial Design major, my building was NOTHING to brag about. It is located far from the historic district (i.e., the ghetto), and the building itself has very few windows (thus little natural light going in), and, to add injury to insult, there is NOWHERE to relax, think, or socialize outside. Except for a small bench shoved in a corner which where all the smokers go. It is an oppressive environment to say the least. I DON'T RECOMMEND SCAD FOR INDUSTRIAL DESIGN.On a positive note: there were some excellent professors, the bus system is helpful and reasonably reliable, the food is usually a hit, sometimes a miss (depends how picky you are), and the city of Savannah is great if you love walking. It is NOT a bad school, but for the money they ask for and the way they brag about their school, I expected a much richer experience.

Rhode Island School of Design -- Providence, RI