StudentsReview :: The Savannah College of Art and Design - Comments and Student Experiences

Rhode Island School of Design -- Providence, RI
Ringling School of Art and Design -- Sarasota, FL
Pratt Institute -- Brooklyn, NY

The Savannah College of Art and Design

Oh SCAD... where do I start? I amBrightFine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
Oh SCAD... where do I start? I am a photography major and also a transfer student from New Hampshire, and this upcoming quarter will be my third and last quarter at scad.

First I will tell you about some of the foundation courses. So I guess I'm starting with the cons of scad.

Last spring I was required to take Art History: Survey of Western Art 1, which wasn't an entire waste of my time or money, but it was for several of my classmates. I had professor Hamilton, and he was the worst professor I have had at scad thus far. There were 26 students in my class, and 15 of us passed, most with a C at best (I earned a B). Several of my classmates (including myself) complained to the head of the department about him, and the department head gave us her promise that something would be done about him. Guess what they did? They offered him an extra art history class to teach.

The first thing you need to know about scad, is that they do not give a crap about you. You are a number, a wallet.

The 2D design class you are required to take is a total waste of money and time, along with drawing 1. Scad requires you to take endless foundation courses that are totally unrelated to your major. And for what? I still have no idea.

Each class is $3000, and I can most definitely say that only one out of six classes I have taken so far was worth even half of that, and that was intro to ballet. But that class wasn't even worth 3 grand.

Two, Paula Wallace is totally evil. She makes over $2 million dollars a year and only owns the school because she stole it from her husband via their divorce.

Scad may be the largest and 'most comprehensive' art school in the world, but it is most definitely not the best.

Three, the students. I have found a great group of friends here, but it took me two quarters to find them. I would say about 40% of the students here are arrogant, self centered rich kids who were only accepted because they could pay full tuition out of pocket. I would say only about 20% of the students here are chill, or, 'normal', and the other 40% are either totally socially inept or so broken spirited they just gave up on everything and everyone all together.

And if you live in the dorms, do not expect anyone in your hall to talk to you. No one EVER comes out of their rooms.

Four, the professors. I have had six teachers so far, and only two I felt really knew what they were doing. My photo 2 professor was a total joke, along with my black and white film professor. I learned absolutely nothing in either of those classes, and photography is my major. I am so disappointed with this school. On critique days in my photography classes, we would hang our projects on a wall and the whole class would critique them, and some of the work that was displayed looked like it took 20 minutes to make. Most of the students I have met here are not very dedicated or interested in being the best. I am not saying my work is awesome, I was just expecting to be a little more impressed, or at least challenged. My poetry teacher and ballet teacher were the only good professors I have had here. I am very disappointed with the professors in my major and also the curriculum for my major classes. I expected the classes to be much more challenging, but they feel like high school work.

And both of my photo classes consisted of nothing but conceptual work, which I did not enjoy.
Pros:
There are things I like about my school. MOST (not all) of the photo printers in the photography building work and are very up to date, and the library is pretty cool. The schools biggest club as far as I know is swing club, which is a lot of fun and this past quarter I went sky diving for only $120 with the outdoor adventure club.

The student activities council also hosts a yearly Halloween (Masquerade) dance, which almost all of the freshman attend.

Diversity!
I love scad for it's diversity, and that's about it. I have no American friends at my school, all of my friends are either from Korea, China, Africa, the Caribbean, India, Dubai, Hawaii, Switzerland, Afghanistan or Turkmenistan. Once I transfer this will probably be the one thing I will miss most about scad, the diversity and my awesome friends.

Savannah/Danger Factor:

Savannah as a city is beautiful, although the tourists can get annoying after awhile.
And I would say it's a relatively safe city, as long as you don't venture out at night by yourself. Three of my friends have been mugged on their way back from the library at night.

Last spring a seventeen year old boys body showed up in the disgusting river near the Weston dorms/Cafe scad, and last month a woman's body showed up in the river down on river st.

And three weeks ago there was a huge drug bust outside of Arnold hall, which is where all of the english/art history courses are held, and two scad students were killed during the burst.

I read online that there are 25 homicides a year in Savannah.
I walk around at night by myself only when I absolutely have to, but I'm from a town with a population of 4000, and I have never felt threatened or scared when venturing about Savannah.

Although I do carry mace with me!
Food/Dorms:

Never eat at Cafe scad, I had food poisoning for three weeks because of that place. I can't say JO's is much better either, but I live in Oglethorpe house so I have no choice but to eat there. I actually like living in O-house, with the exception of the huge price tag that comes with living on campus. The rooms in o-house are a decent size and the dorm is in a really good location, everything is within walking distance from o-house; CVS, Forsyth Park, awesome restaurants, etc

Oh and Health services is a total joke. I went there with a bad cold and the "doctor" told me I was pregnant! She didn't give me a urine test or anything, she felt my stomach and sent me on my way. And I was most definitely not pregnant! Crazy crazy crazy!!!!

I think I have said it all. Obviously I am very bias and anti-scad, but if you are still interested in attending, my advice to you is this...

visit the school more than once, talk to the students there about their classes and their feelings about scad, and sit in on as many classes in your major as you possibly can.

There are many students here that are totally in love with scad, it just isn't the right school for me. It is too expensive and the financial aid they offer is total crap, the social scene is lacking (I don't mean parties, although there aren't any of those either), and most of the students/professors here suck.

And I also know several alumni who graduated within the last three years that are still unemployed or are working in minimum wage retail jobs.Scad is just not worth the money. Spend your money on a school that deserves it, on a school that actually cares about you and whether or not you succeed.

1st Year Female -- Class 2013
Campus Aesthetics: B, Education Quality: F
SCAD is over priced for what it was.Computer Science
SCAD is over priced for what it was. I still feel that about 90% of the things I learned were self taught. The things that I did at SCAD, I could of learned at Community college. Of the courses I took that were most helpful in the long run. into to Linux , Algebra, and Basic programming.

Before I came to SCAD I was already doing Graphic design, and non-linear editing , Stop motion ect. What was nice was being able to play with some more expensive equipment. But to be Honest I would of been able to do that for a LOT cheaper if I had gone to a SUNY school in NYS.

Currently I am enrolled in our local community college . Paying CASH, for some Information assurance related classes . Even when I got a job in a "related" field, it was more of a computer tech position. Which is a field I"m now training in. So I MIGHT have a chance to start paying back my Federal loans. After doing 7 years in film in post production only once did I really do anything that I would even remotely consider being something taught to me at SCAD. That's a pretty poor return on a nearly 200K investment.

In retrospect , I wish I had done more networking , note , if you need contacts, I share, I do still have contacts in several places.

I moved to the midwest and started doing Volunteer Firefighting EMS, and run a small farmstead while taking classes to work towards my IA certs , and raise my kids. I still do some boutique studio work , and a lot of Graphic design (not part of my major) , Painting , and a lot of hands on crafts . I have taught myself felting , tanning , and a lot of interesting from scratch skills.But unfortunately non of these really pertain to my major.

I learn more on the job then anywhere else. If you go, go to play with there equipment , have stories written you want to film, use there facilities . But expect to be exhausted and broke for 4 years. SCAD is NOT helpful in finding you work OR internships post College. I felt rather abandoned.

Pro: Well Maintained CampusNot so brightPerfomance Arts
Pro: Well Maintained Campus
Con: Campus is spread out all over Savannah
Pro: Classes are small
Con: Classes are too short and only meet twice a week. Students pay for 2 1/2 hour blacks of instruction. Too mnay classes in MPRA often end over and hour early.

Pro: SCAD is fairly easy to get into
Con: SCAD Lets in too many spoiled brats
Pro: There are a few talented hard working creative people
Con: Far too many slackers bring down the reputation
Pro: SCAD has an attendance policy. (5 and Fail)
CON: SCAD has numerous "chosen" ones allowed to skip numerous classes, do poorly on tests and exams, and still receive A's and B's.(FYi: A class action lawsuit is pending over unfair grading.)

Pro: Large student body for an Art School
Con: Most students (especially the ones in performing arts) are arrogant, unfriendly, rude, and selfish.

SCAD is like going back to high school, only there are less rules and the work is easier. Do not expect much of challenge, unless you are an architecture student. SCAD pumps out 1000's of useless art/film/drama wannabes every year. Between them and the Art Institutes of America, the labor market is flooded with ignorant immature people thinking they are entitled to job in an art related field.

I am lucky, there's a job waiting for me when upon graduation. Finishing a degree in performing arts was a condition for higher levels of employment. Fortunately I transferred in and only had to attend here for a year and half.

It's truly appalling how poor the levels of instruction in MPRA are. It's as though the professors know that that have mediocre talent to work with and therefore teach accordingly. Sure there are a few that rise to the top, but the sad reality is that most of them only got to the top b/c they were one the chosen ones. These chosen ones have talents alright, it may be performing, but it's certainly not the arts.

My advice to anyone wanting to study Fashion/Film/TV/Performing Arts/Dramatic Writing at SCAD is to ask yourself these questions:

1. Do I appreciate talent and hard word?
2. Have I ever made money with my art/talent?
3. Is my work better than that of a typical SCAD graduate?
4. Is there a cheaper school that can do the same thing?
5. Will I need to take loans to attend SCAD?
6. Could I get work without a degree?If you answered "Yes" to at least 4 of these questions then you should probably go to another school or better yet, get to work right away. Seek out private mentors and internships. Nothing sparks creatively and higher levels of skills more than actually doing the work.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2013