StudentsReview ™ :: The Savannah College of Art and Design - Comments and Student Experiences

Rhode Island School of Design -- Providence, RI
Ringling School of Art and Design -- Sarasota, FL
Pratt Institute -- Brooklyn, NY

The Savannah College of Art and Design

Feb 24 2014Art & Design Department

Lies and Discrimination

Preparedness: - Reputation: F

SCAD came highly recommended from a friend of

Feb 19 2014Art & Design Department
SCAD came highly recommended from a friend of my mother's and she pushed me to come here. Classes are, in general, okay. One of my classes was cancelled a week before classes started and I was not informed, getting into another class so soon before the quarter was hell, I wasn't allowed to be placed into a full class like the school said I could if needed be. Classes are also changed to different times without telling the students in them, so if you register you have to frequently check to make sure you haven't been taken out of the class because the time changed. Students don't really range from don't do a lot of work to do a lot of work, they're either one or the other. Many students are also not terribly bright, often misspelling things and messing up their grammar. Some professors aren't that good at grammar as well. Only being able to skip four of the twenty classes makes sense, however with many studio classes I find myself saving up my skips so I can use them to work on projects for that class because the in-class time isn't productive, all we do is talk about irrelevant things. Recently, all the chairs in my building were replaced with more expensive less comfortable chairs. Dorms are almost entirely concrete, campus is overpriced (so is the food) and unwelcoming. I have lived off campus for two years now, and it is considerably cheaper but your chances of getting shot or robbed are higher. Security isn't that helpful, neither is tech support. Teachers don't seem to talk to each other about course content, there are gaps in education. Many professors expect you to just know how to use computer programs without teaching you. Students can be friendly but frequently aren't. Majority of the freshmen are there because it's easy to get into the school and their parents want them to go to college, and they think an art school will be a good party school. It's not.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2015
Faculty Accessibility: A-, Individual Value: F

I have spent over $100,000 in student loans

Feb 12 2014Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
I have spent over $100,000 in student loans while at SCAD. There so many things I love about my school, especially the photography department. Your foundation classes may feel like busy work, but they are actually very useful towards your major. Well besides 3D Design, I still think that class was a total waste of time lol. Anyway, I love the photo department, but for the price tag of tuition, half of the equipment is outdated or old as your grandma, along with that fact that a quarter of the photo professors are only there because of their so called 'fame' when they are in reality actually really horrible teachers. Like Zig Jackson, Meryl Truett and Pete Christman, avoid them at all costs! They are totally useless teachers. I don't even know why they are teachers! I regret having chosen them for classes. Anyway, Savannah is a party town so if you're down for that you've come to the right place. If not, there's always Forsyth park or a ton of cafe's and cupcake places where you can write about your sober artsy life. After four years, I really would not trade this experience for anything. I am still not proud that I am graduating from the money hungering SCAD, but I am proud that I have at least attended college. I wish I would have attended a better school, but it's too late now. SCAD really isn't worth the money, despite whatever kind of fancy show they try to put on during tours or on their website. Please aim for RISD (with a scholarship) or just any art school other than the overrated SCAD, it's really not worth the money. Good luck everyone!
4th Year Female -- Class 2014