StudentsReview :: The Savannah College of Art and Design - Comments and Student Experiences

Rhode Island School of Design -- Providence, RI
Ringling School of Art and Design -- Sarasota, FL
Pratt Institute -- Brooklyn, NY

The Savannah College of Art and Design

I'm going to filter out as many of

Jan 23 2015Art & Design Department
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I'm going to filter out as many of my negative experiences as I can in order to remain credible; but I do definitely have some issues with my experience here. First, the bad. It's expensive. And most art/design fields are highly competitive. If you're seriously considering attending SCAD I would really think about how much you're willing to sacrifice and also take a hard look at your skill level and work ethic. Much of this can be improved throughout your degree, but if you're on the less experienced side I would consider taking basic art classes first somewhere else to see if you really have what it takes. This is a HUGE, MAJOR investment. It's not the school you want to go to to "figure out" what you wanna do.

Second of all, like most private universities, the people who tend to benefit from this experience the most are those who come from wealthy families. Good luck surviving on an unpaid internship in this economy if your parents can't help you out much. But that's more of a separate qualm. Internships are however, super important. If you want job placement immediately after school having internship experience will significantly improve your chances, but again, it definitely depends on what you did and who you know. But also, if you have to work your way through college it's going to be much more difficult to focus on your studies and time is not something that this university gives you much of. I'm talking 60+ hour projects that you have to finish in less than two weeks. Say goodbye to your social life if you want to succeed. Attending SCAD did greatly improve my work ethic though, but it also stressed me out to no end and gave me gray hairs and a handful of emotional breakdowns. So factor that in as well. This school is not for the weak-hearted.

Another problem area I encountered was the faculty in my department. I've heard that these problems are in other departments as well, because we're all human beings and have problems and bad days from time to time, but I did encounter some extremely unprofessional behavior within my particular department, which was Fashion Design. I did get some great advice from the faculty but some of them without naming any names could use some major attitude adjustment (or therapy). Professors need to leave their personal issues outside of school. Don't just not show up because you're having a bad day or lash out at students because you think they don't like you. It's completely unacceptable, immature, and hinders our learning experience. I've reported this behavior but I don't know if anything was done about it because of favoritism within the department. In my opinion, at a school as prestigious as SCAD you cannot just let your faculty go about harassing students and letting them get away with it. That deserves more than a little slap on the wrist.On the flip side, I did overall enjoy my time here for the friends I made, life experiences, and classes. Some of my favorite teachers weren't even within my department but from elective courses. SCAD does a really good job making the classes relevant to your interests and there are many thought-provoking discussions that take place in these classes. I regret not getting an internship, although I was lucky enough to land a salary job somewhat related to my degree less than a year after graduation. Not everyone is that lucky. Really make your time here worth it if you do attend. Learn how to utilize effective time management, don't goof off too much, and take full advantage of everything the school has to offer. I would recommend this school to any artist or designer who is serious about what they do, but know the risks and financial toll.

Preparedness: B+ Reputation: C

SCAD has been an extremely challenging and rewarding

Dec 16 2014Other
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
SCAD has been an extremely challenging and rewarding experience for me. People who are angry at SCAD are angry because of how good the school is at advertising and getting kids (aka them) to want to come to school here. When they get here they're usually angry because admissions makes SCAD look like a perfect utopia where everything will be handed to you on a silver platter which is not the case for any institution. I will admit that SCAD admissions is clearly corrupt however that does not change the integrity of the academics here. I have received a first class education with exceptional professors and yes I've had some terrible professors(but those are at every school) but they are quickly outweighed by the good ones I've had. People also complain about our "accreditation" which is something that i've never really understood to be a huge problem. SCAD isn't accredited most likely because we so programs of degree and individualized focused studies that those are things you couldn't study at any other university so it makes sense that we're accredited considering where else are you going to find a school (even an art school) why your credits for themed entertainment design are going to transfer. I personally think that are lack of accreditaiton is a good thing or else I wouldn't be able to have such a focused and specific major that I am working towards. The only time I could see this being an issue would be if you're an architecture major but I haven't had any friend in the program express any distress over it. SCAD has offered me a lot of opportunities that other universities and art schools just couldn't match and I definitely had my doubts going into the school but am very content now with where I am with my studies. People who whine about SCAD stealing their money and it being a scam are also the usually the same people who are going to a super expensive art school to get their degree in photography so at the end of the day that was probably a bad investment in the first place. If you want to be a fine arts major then yeah you should probably just attend a state school or more affordable school but if you can afford it then yes it is a good education. If you want to go for a more specialized creative career such as animation, urban design, fashion , etc then SCAD is a worthwhile education if you put the hard work in and make the most of the resources that the college gives you.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2016
Education Quality: A+, Individual Value: C+

I would say the faculties are decent people

Dec 05 2014Other
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I would say the faculties are decent people only a few good gems. However the school and administration are downright corrupt. They have been truly screwing me over a lot. Scad is nothing but profiting my life with some piece of paper. I have closure with them soon and will be rolling up my degree and smoking it.
5th Year Male -- Class 2014