StudentsReview :: The Savannah College of Art and Design - Comments and Student Experiences

Rhode Island School of Design -- Providence, RI
Ringling School of Art and Design -- Sarasota, FL
Pratt Institute -- Brooklyn, NY

The Savannah College of Art and Design

Dec 16 2014Other
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
SCAD has been an extremely challenging and rewarding experience for me. People who are angry at SCAD are angry because of how good the school is at advertising and getting kids (aka them) to want to come to school here. When they get here they're usually angry because admissions makes SCAD look like a perfect utopia where everything will be handed to you on a silver platter which is not the case for any institution. I will admit that SCAD admissions is clearly corrupt however that does not change the integrity of the academics here. I have received a first class education with exceptional professors and yes I've had some terrible professors(but those are at every school) but they are quickly outweighed by the good ones I've had. People also complain about our "accreditation" which is something that i've never really understood to be a huge problem. SCAD isn't accredited most likely because we so programs of degree and individualized focused studies that those are things you couldn't study at any other university so it makes sense that we're accredited considering where else are you going to find a school (even an art school) why your credits for themed entertainment design are going to transfer. I personally think that are lack of accreditaiton is a good thing or else I wouldn't be able to have such a focused and specific major that I am working towards. The only time I could see this being an issue would be if you're an architecture major but I haven't had any friend in the program express any distress over it. SCAD has offered me a lot of opportunities that other universities and art schools just couldn't match and I definitely had my doubts going into the school but am very content now with where I am with my studies. People who whine about SCAD stealing their money and it being a scam are also the usually the same people who are going to a super expensive art school to get their degree in photography so at the end of the day that was probably a bad investment in the first place. If you want to be a fine arts major then yeah you should probably just attend a state school or more affordable school but if you can afford it then yes it is a good education. If you want to go for a more specialized creative career such as animation, urban design, fashion , etc then SCAD is a worthwhile education if you put the hard work in and make the most of the resources that the college gives you.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2016
Education Quality: A+, Individual Value: C+
Dec 05 2014Other
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I would say the faculties are decent people only a few good gems. However the school and administration are downright corrupt. They have been truly screwing me over a lot. Scad is nothing but profiting my life with some piece of paper. I have closure with them soon and will be rolling up my degree and smoking it.
5th Year Male -- Class 2014
Campus Maintenance: A+, Useful Schoolwork: F
Aug 25 2014Art & Design Department
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
After attending what I thought was my "dream school" for less that a full year (two quarters) I left with an absolute distaste in my mouth. SCAD is nothing more than a horrendous excuse for an art school. First off, the school lacks the accreditations that places like FIDM, RISD and Parsons have. Second, the faculty in the department I was in (Fashion) were arrogant, rude and unhelpful. I had taken almost half of my required fashion classes at another school across the country and gotten everything from a B- to several B+ and a few A's in these classes and yet they had the audacity to tell me that I needed to retake them when my work was above that of several of their senior students!

Also, the tuition for this place is laughable. The scholarships are a joke. I wasted twenty-five grand on six classes that I could have taken in one semester at my local State University for only five!!! They are robber-barrons who make you live on their less-than-accomitable housing to get full scholarship, otherwise you only get seventy percent. These "dorms" are renovated motels from the sixties and seventies that look like they would fail an asbestos test today. The "employment rate" they boast is fabricated and I guarantee you most graduates get temp jobs or part-time internships that end and they are left in crippling debt. Trust me, it is NOT WORTH going into debt for a college degree. NOTHING IS WORTH DEBT!!!

Finally, something is wrong with that president of theirs. She is just not right and I wouldn't doubt that there is something illegal going on at the administrative level. Watch, within the next five years or so an investigation will be launched into that school and with luck she and her tenured jokes of professors will be indicted. So, all-in-all I have absolutely nothing good to say about this school. I urge you to go the cheap route and either get an art degree at your local university or skip college all together and start honing your craft. I'm just grateful I got out of there in time to realize what a joke the place is.

1st Year Male -- Class 2016