StudentsReview ™ :: The Savannah College of Art and Design - Comments and Student Experiences

Rhode Island School of Design -- Providence, RI
Ringling School of Art and Design -- Sarasota, FL
Pratt Institute -- Brooklyn, NY

The Savannah College of Art and Design

This has been my first quarter at SCAD

Dec 11 2013Art & Design Department
This has been my first quarter at SCAD and I like it here.I haven't run into anybody that hasn't liked it here. I love that you only have classes four days a week and the long winter break you get. You get to meet a lot of people from all over the world. The diversity is unlike any other college. I have three international roommates. In my classes we tried to help each other out I didn't feel that it was cut throat at all. I feel you will find like all colleges some people who are friendly and others that aren't. The professors are helpful mine were at least but you have to work hard like all colleges. I didn't have time to go to any of the activities or do any of the clubs but they seemed interesting especially the drink and draw that one of my roommates went to weekly and she really liked it. I had read reviews from this college on here before I went and I finally decided I would try and I can't say I'm sorry for going here. The cost is a lot to pay for a college education. The downside is that you don't get to take more than three classes per quarter but the upside to that is you can really focus on what your learning. As far as the crime goes during the day seemed to be fine when I was out but be careful anytime. Two scad students were robbed while I was down there in the evening during winter quarter but they didn't get hurt. My advice is to just be careful. It's like most cites. My experience is different from others.
1st Year Female -- Class 2015
Innovation: A+, Perceived Campus Safety: C

SCAD comes across as a great school, and

Apr 27 2013Perfomance Arts
SCAD comes across as a great school, and it has an ability to be a great school, unfortunately it isn't. The school pumps more money into promoting the school than preserving the relationship with their current students. SCAD provides opportunities for extra curricular trips but you have to be selected for it, which limits the already limited trips that are available. The dorms are terrible and they have terrible maintenance. SCAD is more about the money than anything else. I understand its a business but there is a point where you have to respect the people paying you. The majority people that work in the offices are former SCAD students, so that says something. SCAD is great if everything works in your favor, if not it can be a nightmare. Making friends is very difficult unless you are always partying or doing drugs. Also as a straight male it is very difficult because there are few girls that are normal, and you always have other gay men hitting on you since the majority of guys here are gay. Its a rough school and I'm only here because they have a very specific minor that I am looking for but if any other school offered it I would be there in a heartbeat.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2015
Scholastic Success: A, Individual Value: F

SCAD is how you make it out to be

May 13 2012Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
SCAD is how you make it out to be. If you take the initiative, chances are your life in SCAD will be pretty good. Participate in activities, festivals, and don't be shy in making friends. If you're deciding on art school, chances are you will find people with common interest no matter what.

Being in the Film and Television department, I have to say that the professors they have are of fine quality. Like most schools, not all Professors are excellent, so ask your peers or seniors for advice and recommendations. Ratemyprofessor is a good reference too, but I would just suggest asking your friends. I am not quite sure about the other departments, but I know for the most part the Film and Television department have good connections. F

Furthermore, they teach drawing at it's basic level, and honestly budding filmmakers, drawing IS important. Especially when you want to plan out your shots: good composition is the the essential and you will definitely learn that in Drawing 100. I wouldn't say it's the same for every University, but if you're a lousy drawer (like me), a basic foundation drawing class is definitely worthwhile to come to SCAD and it's all part of your curriculum (make sure you find a good drawing teacher that matches your needs though).

A lot of people complain about the international students who don't speak English: well, it IS an ESL school, so be patient. They come here to learn English after all. Any ESL school will be in the same situation. My advice? Try talking to them, they are not all unfriendly. Some of them are desperately trying to learn English, and for all you know you may learn something new about the world.

Granted, there are some of the service stuff who definitely need to know the meaning of 'polite,' but for the most part if you write in an e-mail or participate in the surveys and write in mature comments, the faculty will definitely take it into consideration and listen to you.

SCAD is about listening to the students, if you are unhappy with something, appeal it: write in an e-mail and just stop complaining. If no one listens, go to someone who do. It may see like a chore, but it definitely builds character.

It is true, SCAD may not be for every one (and not every one may suit SCAD), but if you suit the bill and you find a major that is to your liking, make it worth your well. Come to SCAD with an open mind.

1st Year Female -- Class 2014