StudentsReview ™ :: The Savannah College of Art and Design

Females 9
Males 8
Avg years at University 1.7

Jul 01 2013Art & Design Department

Invest your money somewhere else...SCAD is a joke. Professors are really young, inexperienced and with poor academic background.

I went to SCAD for undergrad and graduate

Aug 13 2012Art & Design Department
I went to SCAD for undergrad and graduate school. I think it is a fine place. Not very difficult, not terribly 'academic' but the profs are nice, although beaten down by the administration. You can learn this stuff anyplace. SCAd has lost so many great profs over the past four years it makes me sad. I wish the administration would take the school seriously instead of treating it like a personal bank account. I met some amazing people there and i loved the work I came out of the school with. Got a job right aways with a great salary.

Personally, this is my first semester here at

May 17 2012Art & Design Department
Personally, this is my first semester here at SCAD Atlanta and so far I'm loving it! The resource here is incredible from Writer's studio with professional help on thesis and essays for classes, live drawing sessions, and one-on-one tutoring.

There's always lots of activities to join and I've been on a free trip to the Stone Mountain, joined in the trip to Savannah for the International Festival, Accepted student day, and have volunteered for the upcoming GALA 2012 next week. There's always snacks and refreshments at activities and by keeping up-to-date and joining in, I've received a free t-shirt, foam finger, noise-maker, whistle, wristband, and so much more!

The professors are strict but reasonable and as long as you do your best and work hard, they see and acknowledge that. They won't baby-feed you what you have to know but there are always extra office hours and help sessions they encourage you to go to. Those struggling with classes should let their professors know. Check your deadlines and stick to it.

Whenever I had a problem or question, all I did was to email the departments that I thought would handle my problems and they would usually get back to me very quickly of what I had to do.

Personally, I feel that no matter what school you attend, it's all in your attitude. You can go to the best school and get nothing out of it if you don't reach out. You can go to the worst school and do your best and still enjoy it. I think the resources in SCAD really amaze me as I find out more and more benefits and advantageous networks the school has already laid down.

There is also a college central network where you can post your resume and portfolio or job search for jobs especially for SCAD students and more. The online student account holds all sort of valuable information and means of contacting your professors and peers. It's really convenient!Overall, I really like this school and feel that there's really something amazing you can harness from all the creative energy around you. Remember that the peoples' attitudes towards you are a projection of your attitude towards them too so be friendly, smile, and do your best! You determine your experiences. Enjoy life as life is short and you want to make your present moment your best one. After all, the truest moments you have, good or bad, are the ones you have right now!

Namaste to everyone

Aug 27 2011Architecture
Namaste to everyone. In my country of India, this is our way of saying hello or greeting someone. I would like to say, that for the most part, SCAD has done reasonably well to meet my educational needs as a graduate student and you will make friends, but what I found as a complete turn-off, was the way my fellow Indian students were treated by a woman named Neiha and her friend Hina. Neiha works in the admission department and both attended SCAD as well. They were in charge of MILAAP, the club for Indian students at SCAD but they were involved in corruption as before students would arrive here from India, they would charge these students a 'finder's fee' for locating an apartment for them, which turns out to be a direct violation of SCAD policy. No member of staff is supposed to be doing that! I write this to warn all Indian students thinking of coming to SCAD to very wary of these two women. It is also very sad, that Neiha is allowed to continue her employment with SCAD.

SCAD grad professors are afraid to teach nuts

Jul 03 2010Art & Design Department
SCAD grad professors are afraid to teach nuts and bolts, expecting students to learn programs and concepts and swallow the professor's post-modern theories as gospel. There is so much "self directed study" that the professor is just there to hand out pointless assignments and talk theories from art journals that have nothing to do with the demands of real paying jobs. Isn't this just buying a piece of paper?

Best choice I have

May 30 2010Art & Design Department
Best choice I have ever made. SCAD experience made all the difference. I was hired before I graduated because the school produces top notch talent. Very very happy with experience. Would do it over again.
Feb 02 2010Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc

I've been very happy with my education at SCAD. The best thing about this school is its faculty.

May 05 2009Art & Design Department

I am very happy with SCAD, and especially the faculty.

As an older grad

Jan 16 2009Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
As an older grad student with a long history of work in related fields to my area of study, I feel that taking a break and getting my MFA from SCAD was the best thing I could have done. The photography department encourages self-reflection, understanding and comprehension in nearly all areas.
Coming to Terms

SCAD is a great school for Performing Arts

May 27 2008Perfomance Arts
SCAD is a great school for Performing Arts because the faculty are amazing. They are all professionals, worked in theatre and TV/Film for many years, are accessible,friendly, very smart and really know how to teach. i feel like I am getting an amazing education. But the school does not feel the same way about our department. While most departments have amazing facilities, we have terrible facilities, with mold, no good rehearsal spaces, no university support, no one seems to care about our department, maybe because the school's focus is art, not "the arts." If the Performing Department gets nicer facilities, it would be the best school for performance in the country, no doubt.

If you want to

Jan 16 2008Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
If you want to go to a college that will be a rewarding in fulfilling experience, intellectually and creatively think twice about going here. Do research and what you find will speak for itself.

When I first heard about Savannah College of

Jan 16 2008Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
When I first heard about Savannah College of Art & Design, I was excited to venture down south in a warm climate and continue my education in Film/Video. That excitement was tempered however, by a few of my professors who had advised me not to attend. They had heard and or had bad experiences with Savannah College of Art & Design. IE they were not impressed with the way the school was run. There were other warning signs. No portfolio was required to get in. Meaning that I would be attending school with a mix of talent. Two there is no tenure tract so how do you get rid of incompetent faculty? The research I did yielded similar results mostly negative reviews regarding the college only interested in money ect... With that, I decided to attend. In my department I found teaching incompetence, abuse of students and flagrant arrogance. Two foreign students were failed by Professor Hofstein and when they brought their grievances to the department head he threatened to be sent them back to their respective countries. Subsequently, the following semester, he failed an entire class. I actually had a professor steal some of my equipment. It was later found in his possession. What is going on here I thought? Next the city. It is dangerous. There have been tourists killed, shot right in front of the library, in the park, out in the street. So after a year of this madness, I transfered to another college where I am having a great experience and I will be graduating soon. Its funny though. I have been looking for teaching jobs on the Chronicle of Higher Education and to my surprise Savannah College of Art & Design has positions open for, and I counted them 26 departments, some with several opening in each. That should tell you all you need to know right there.
Jun 19 2006Architecture

SCAD is a great school! Some people just have had some bad experinces there but my five years there (for my M.Arch.) were great!

Ranking Similar Schools by Education Quality