StudentsReview :: The University of West Georgia - Comments and Student Experiences

Emory University -- Atlanta, GA

The University of West Georgia

I am a junior attending the University ofQuite BrightComputer Science
I am a junior attending the University of West Georgia. The school is built well, and it looks o.k for such a small school. The students I have met here seem pretty friendly, however there were those few that treated some of the professors with disrespect. I have been in a situation where the class was so mean to professor he just snap and made the class much harder than what it needed to be. Thankfully I only experience those moments during my Freshman year. The upperclassman tend to have more respect for the professors. But as far as student to student relationships it seems pretty normal.

Now what I would really like to talk about is the computer science department. So I really like the professors I had starting out,and the adviser I had was nice and helpful. The CS professors I had later on were not helpful. I understand that as CS major I am supposed to go to "GOOGLE" you will here that at lot. I love Google, I Google all that time when I am trying to figure out a problem. However the classes are rushed and I feel like their is not enough time to really teach you what you need to know. This is main reason why I am transferring so I can take a less traditional route and a more applied CS route. I believe all the extra math and sciences classes that you have to take could have just been extra CS classes to help you learn more about CS. In short the classes are terrible and some not all of the CS professors are just terrible.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2016
Social Life: B+, Education Quality: F
This school is only good for freshmen/sophomores whoAverageNursing
This school is only good for freshmen/sophomores who live in the approved districts and can live at home. I promise you will be ready to be out of here by the end of tour freshman year. If you don't "go greek" you should go ahead and expect to be making the drive home every thursday night. The students are arrogant and obscenely close minded. The classes are moderately challenging, but overall this place is boring. If you're coming here from the city, be prepared for the shittiest culture shock of your life...
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Collaboration/Competitive: A+, Individual Value: F
The faculty here is terrible.AverageCommunications
The faculty here is terrible. They never check their email reply to phone calls or explain anything. Every professor I have had either was very bad at explaining stuff or just tells you to look at the notes and is no help. NO ONE HERE CHECKS THEIR EMAIL. They will even tell you that they don't. Very bad communication. I have had some of the worst educators here Barnes and Professor Kay are some of the worst. there was one Spanish professor I had the displeasure of taking but he is fired now thank God! If you are a person who doesn't mind spending thousands of dollars to teach themselves then sure come here if you want... but I dont know why you would.

As far as the actual students they are pretty great thats it.
social life...there are only two good bars here.
Very small town. Like farm and rednecks type of town but most people dont give me any problems they are even pretty friendly. Just very country everyone here talks country even some of the students. If you are not careful it could rub off on you. Honestly just stay in Atlanta.Will you get that college campus feel here? yes but I still rather be in ATL

3rd Year Female -- Class 2015