StudentsReview ™ :: The University of West Georgia - Comments and Student Experiences

Emory University -- Atlanta, GA

The University of West Georgia

I haven't enjoyed my time at West Georgia,

Mar 30 2014Other
I haven't enjoyed my time at West Georgia, but I didn't really expect to. I knew that I was going to be here for one year to finish my core requirements and then transfer to a better university to do my major.

A lot of people here do that, it's a stepping stone school, really. If you stay here all four years, you'll see most of your friends leave to go somewhere else.

There is nothing to do on campus unless you're interested in frat parties and getting drunk off your ass (This school is #10 in the nation for most alcohol related arrests. Only the best go West!)Even the cops make fun of the student body for how generally stupid and absorbed in parties they are. Campus social life is lacking, and off campus life is nonexistent. If you want to do anything off campus plan on driving an hour into Atlanta, because there isn't shit to do near the University.

Also, the academics are kind of shit. Every class is extremely easy. I've taken 23 hours one semester and 21 the next and I haven't had to pull a single all nighter or anything. The classes are so easy that I am a freshman and I'm taking senior level classes. If you are looking for a school with a big party scene and easy academics, West might be for you.

Faculty Accessibility: A, Campus Aesthetics: F

This is a school were you get up

Jan 26 2014Computer Science
This is a school were you get up in the morning go to class. Go back to your dorm study, go get some food, go back to your dorm and sleep. The social atmosphere is horrible. If you are not a part of Greek Life on campus you will have a very limited pool of friends, your roommate and maybe 2 other people. It is because of the way the buildings are layed out. You have the outside door, then a kitchen area then another door for your room. Every building on campus is designed this way. If you were to walk out of your room at noon the hallways would be empty. The school has tried to run "parties" on campus but they are very underdeveloped and very boring. If you are looking for "College Life" go somewhere else. This please is snoozeville.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2018
Individual Value: A-, Education Quality: F

UWG is quickly turning into a degree mill

Jan 22 2014Computer Science
UWG is quickly turning into a degree mill and is losing quality professors at an astounding rate. Most of the school's money seems to be spent on unneeded buildings, advertising campaigns, football stadium, etc. The school does not seem interested in investing in its professors or infrastructure. The internet here is on par with the slowest in the nation and is unusable on many occasions. This is unacceptable at any university, especially one that has embraced paperless and partial/fully online classes.

Dealing with most of the departments is hell (with the exception of the post office, those ladies are on the ball!) If you live on campus, expect to be swindled out of your money. The housing department is a mess and the bursar's office seems to want to make it nearly impossible to pay fines (certain fines cant be paid online, sometimes they can be paid by phone, sometimes not. some have to be paid in cash in person.) They will not hesitate to send you to collections over minor fines that are easy to overlook and can be assessed arbitrarily and without proof. I have been in both offices and been told lies straight to my face, just so they don't have to deal with the issues at hand.

The cops here are terrible for the most part. There are a couple that are genuinely good, but the bad eggs seem to out way the good. Me and many of my friends have been pulled over several times for our licence plate lights being out (they weren't) and then been breathalyzed and harassed. They assume everyone is guilty and have the legal authority to search you and your house WITHOUT a warrant (if you live in campus owned housing)! They love to remind you of this and will use it to threaten you for cooperation and information. This is only true for the campus pd.

I came to this college for an education and everyday I see the value of my future degree decrease. I see large percentages of students in my major graduate easily without having understanding of many beginner principles. These people are graduating severely under-prepared for the jobs they will be looking for out of college. It won't be long before employers turn UWG graduates away simply because of their education (much like what has happened with Columbus state in many occasions).I'm hoping the new president turns things around. Carrollton is not a bad place and I have many great memories from my time here at UWG. If the college would stop trying to be a "destination" and actually invest in its students, infrastructure, and professors, this college could be a great place.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2014