StudentsReview :: The University of West Georgia - Comments and Student Experiences

Emory University -- Atlanta, GA

The University of West Georgia

Don't expect UWG to be UGA or Carrollton

Jun 05 2010Anthropology
Don't expect UWG to be UGA or Carrollton to be Athens and you'll be fine - Carrollton is what you make of it. With UGA becoming increasingly harder to get into the quality of students at UWG is increasing. Weekends are pretty dead and many people go home. The new football stadium and greek housing helps a little. Be smart and don't walk/run on trails alone.

I know a lot of people (me included) who expected UWG to be easier than high school so we slacked off too much first semester and paid for it. Many didn't learn to put in effort and will be headed to community college next year.Anthropology dept is great, especially with the archaeology lab. Check out EVERY professor on ratemyprofessors if you can. I had a large Eng1 class and only a few passed because of the prof. The writing and math labs are a joke, you are better off finding a friend or someone who had that teacher before to help you. The good profs/classes fill up fast!

1st Year Male -- Class 2013
Education Quality: A, University Resource Use: C

I love this school

Sep 04 2007Language - French/Spanish/etc.
I love this school. I defenitely ge tmy money's worth. I am a foreign language major and enjoy hanging around the department. People are curteous and not arrogant. They help you when they can and pay attention to you when you have a problem. This is true for both faculty and staff.

Financial Aid is amazing for this school. They offer tons of scholarships and opportunities. the process is easy as long as you stay in touch with them. Many people complain but they are usually the ones who line up outside and wait to make their payments or worry aobut financial on the day fee payment is due.

The night life stinks and the only thing to do is get drunk and party. But thats fine with me since I don't need too many distractions. The generalization that this is a party school is very true but there are also good people here who don't do that. Student organizations are very active and easy to join. Too bad I can't say the same for fraternities. They usually spend their time drinking and being obnoxious to others unlike them.The curriculum and graduation requirements are reasonable. I will graduate on time and I feel confident in saying that.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2009
Education Quality: A+, Social Life: C-

My overall experience has been bittersweet

Apr 21 2011English
My overall experience has been bittersweet. I got here expecting to be challenged academically, but West Georgia challenged me in other ways. West Georgia has a pretty good social life if you socialize and get to know people. Carrollton GA is kind of rural but UWG is a good party school. Most of the students here party around at least 3 times a week. Since the school is not that big everybody pretty much knows everybody. That can be both good and bad, depending on your ability to balance your social life with your academics. You should stay in a dorm your freshman year and have a meal plan to the cafeteria. This is the best way to mingle with your fellow freshman and even make life-long friends. Upperclassmen live in suite-style accommodations or move off-campus to student friendly apartments. They are generally nice and very affordable.

If you are an Education, Business, Biology or Computer Sciences major then West Georgia is an excellent choice for you. My classes did not becoming challenging until the end of my junior year, and by then I had matured enough to get serious about my grades. I have had some really great teachers at UWG. I would say the only annoying things about some teachers are that they might give you assignments that seem pointless, and some have strict attendance policies (that's college in general though). The teachers I have enjoyed the most are engaging, funny and give assignments that are relevant and still interesting.

The campus is beautiful. They just gave our library a face-lift, some facilities have smart-boards and/or Mac computers, and there are multiple computer labs in every building. They just built a brand new Coliseum (the basketball stadium), football stadium and university Bookstore with an Einstein Bagels. The Campus Center has a full 2-level gym, b-ball court, 3-story rock-climbing wall, game room, classrooms and had 2 tennis courts and a deck area outside. The UCC (student center) has a Chic-fil-A, Quiznos, Starbucks, sushi, pizza, burritos etc. and a computer lab where you can print for free.Looking back, the only reason why I would have chosen another school for my undergraduate degree is because West Georgia does provide an extensive amount of study abroad opportunities or internships/jobs after graduation. Because Carrollton is kind of isolated we aren't exposed to a lot of opportunities, culture or diversity that you would experience in a big city. Fortunately, Douglasville (where the closest mall is located) is 30 minutes away and Atlanta 45 minutes away. If you work hard, stay focused, get involved and take the initiative to find opportunities for yourself you will easily succeed at UWG.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2012