StudentsReview :: Truett McConnell College - Comments and Student Experiences

Truett McConnell College

I was homeschooled, but I'm not like mostQuite BrightPsychology
I was homeschooled, but I'm not like most of the homeschoolers on campus (of which there are many. I would say that 65-75% of the school are either athletes or weird jesus freak homeschool kids). There are few good things about truett. The mountains and joking around this area are one of the good things, and there are a handful of faculty members who are worth your time. Most other things are negative. I only came to truett because my parents forced me. (Now that I'm older I do my own thing but at the time it was crucial to me that I do what they say because they threatened me.) Truett is very clique-y. If you don't have a MK purse and dress in the latest fashion, if you're not an athlete, and if you're not a jesus freak, you will be a loner. That's how I have been. It has been extraordinarily difficult for me to find a friend here. There are two or three professors here that I trust and can talk to, and that's it. Social life sucks.

Moving on to academics, I was told coming in that I would graduate in two years (I am a transfer student). Since that time (two years ago) two extra semesters, a whole year, has been added on, due to my advisor not knowing what the heck she was talking about. I am a psychology major, and the program here is terrible. There are two professors in this major, and one of them is a busy work woman and the other doesn't teach at all. And she graduated from Harvard? Sorry but name means nothing when you can't do your job.

Residence life is terrible. The cliques are the ones who get to do all the activities and have all the fun. If you aren't in a clique you get left out. It is a very lonely life here. The RAs are jerks. They are all part of the clique, and if you aren't in it, they're just fake to your face because they have to be. No one really cares here. There is no mercy if you make a mistake or break a rule. The people in power (student services) act like they're your parents and take every opportunity to exercise control. These people aren't Christians , they're power hungry. My experience has Been terrible here. I would not recommend this school to anyone even if I was being paid to do it. Think long and hard before attending. You may regret it.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Education Quality: F
As most will mention, Truett-McConnell College (herein referAverageReligion/Religious
As most will mention, Truett-McConnell College (herein referred to as "TMC") is a small Southern Baptist Liberal Arts college located in North Georgia. Emphasis to be a Southern Bapist, in belief and Church membership, comes from most of the Faculty and Staff. The student body is not so definite, although the Resident Assistants and those involved with the college typically exhibit opinions like the Faculty. I lived on campus and am finishing as an off campus student; as a result, I have found that the student body of TMC seems to be clicky. Finding a compatible "click" is strongly dependent upon living on campus and eating in the dining hall with everyone else. Everybody knows everyone, and very little goes unnoticed on campus. There are very few student body activities. Lots of students go home on the weekends, which makes the campus barren on Saturday and Sunday. The surrounding town is completely country and offers little. Students wil drive 45-minutes to the Mall of Georgia area to do things.

The tuition prices are good, especially when compared to other private 4-year colleges. However, with the price comes sacrifice as, 1., the computer labs on campus are lacking in the quantity of usable, advanced machines and the operational hours of the labs; 2., the maintainance of the buildings and the upkeep are almost always behind schedule (when trustees tour campus the buildings and grounds are temporarily maintained for the visit). 3., Adequate facilites for studying (quiet areas and computer labs) are almost non-existent.

With all of that being said, the campus is a beautiful contrast from most city colleges as the campus is located on acres upon acres of woodlands. The centerpiece academic building of the college overlooks a field of green, respectably called the "Front Lawn," and the campus is peppered with Japanese Cherry trees, large oaks, and some amount of horticultural planning. A cross monument rests on the top of the largest hill on campus. The hill itself provides a good spot for quietness and watching the sunset/sunrise.

Academics at the school have developed greatly since the culmination of the 4-yeard degree programs in the mid-2000s. To be a Christian Studies major does not seem to be as much of a focus as it used to be; a degree in "Missions" now is the hardest pushed program. Every degree offered must have a minor in the "Great Commission" program included, which means that all students in all degree programs must have the classes involved with that minor. The popularity of this newly introduced minor seems to be rather negative amoung the students whom I interact with. It seems that TMC is doing it so as to be more in line with the Southern Baptist Convention, an organization that is a big backer of the school.

I am a Christian Studies student with a focus in Theology, and I enjoy my professors a lot. Of my 3 years at TMC, I have developed a good relationship with several of them and they have challenged my views of academics, spirituality, and theology in completely positive ways. I wish that more of the student body had a passion for academics; most of the sports players make it pretty clear that they are only at TMC for the sport/scholarship. Since this is a small college, athletes are close to a majority. The athletic programs are a mystery to me as most of the people given scholarships by the college are morally complacent and do not study, which doesn't seem to align with the college's values. Lots of athletes must have to lie as well, since the admittance sheet for the college asks that a student give a testimony of faith. TMC needs to stop focusing so much on sports and more so on bringing in good students.Overall, if you want to have a degree with a Christian Perspective, then TMC is a sound choice. Missions has become the main focus of the school, so if you don't like that then better find a different place. The smallness, dedicated teachers, and price of tuition make this a good Christian school.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2013
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Surrounding City: D-
I have not peronally attended Truett yet, buBrightPreMed and Medical
I have not peronally attended Truett yet, bu I'm hoping to go there after I graduate high school. I've just been to the Pre-View day this weekend and I loved it! The school is really small and everyone knows everyone. The staff is very friendly and they are willing to help out anyone and everyone. The surrounding town is pretty boring though. Not much to do at all, execept hangout at Walmart or at Zaxby's, but again the school is worth it! There is just a sense of peace and security while you're on campus and everyone is just in tune with God and truly love him! No, there isn't a football team, but they have flag football and that is a BIG thing at Truett. The athletics are obviously awesome to be NAIA Division I. The new president Dr. Canar is beyond amazing! You can tell how much he loves the school and is in sync with his staff. He even lives on campus! The dorm rooms are unusually big 2!I was really really suprised. Being at Truett is amazing and spending that one day there did a lot. While I was there, I was able to see the sunset because it's in the mountains, and let me say, it's a beautiful sight! Truett is growing fast and even beginning a Biology/Pre-Med program to! So, I'm excited! If you want a small college feel, where you can feel important and be known by the staff and your peers, and get closer to God, Truett is for you!
1st Year Female -- Class 2015