StudentsReview :: The University of Guam - Comments and Student Experiences

The University of Guam

I got alot ofBiology
I got alot of good things out of UOG. The main problem is that it was rather dilute, it came at a rather slow pace. So I wish they had packed more in for the time I spent.
The University of Guam (UoG) is one ofAccounting
The University of Guam (UoG) is one of the premier institutions in the Western Pacific Region, which provides quality higher education. The UoG is an open enrollment institution and serves a large population in Micronesia, including Guam, CNMI, Palau, FSM, and the Marshall Islands. The UoG is considered a commuter school, very unlike those of United States mainland universities, where many students live in dorms within the confines of the university. Since UoG serves the local population, many students live at home with their parents, while they attend school.

Other differences between UoG and the quintessential university in the US mainland is its location. Thousands of miles away from its administering power, the United States, the comparison between UoG and others in the US is like comparing apples to oranges. Universities out in the US have collegiate sports and a large population of students, which both equate to a larger proportion of funding. UoG does not have these collegiate sports teams and thus do not have that type of fanatic "school spirit" with which students in US universities are indoctrinated. This indoctrination furthers the "school spirit" mindset beyond graduation, and thus creates the marketability and acceptance of US universities to other students.

I am not claiming that US universities' "claim to fame" is solely because of these reasons, rather, I simply bring these points up in defense of UoG and its uniqueness to the region and constituents it serves.

As little children, we all may have played with those shapes that were supposed to be matched with the corresponding socket, where only the matching shape would fit. Coming in and "rating" UoG with the mindset of a quintessential US mainland university, is like trying to fit the triangle shape into the square socket. Higher education is what you make of it. The use of higher education, is what you make for available for yourself.

I am a senior at the University.Quite BrightLinguistics
I am a senior at the University. My major is the English language track also known as linguistics. UOG is one of the few universities in the Nation which have an English language track available as opposed to a 'general English' or 'English literature' degree.

I'll start with the negatives first--
1) Difficulty in registering for classes. You must sign up EARLY. There are so few sections offered for each class that you have to really book it to make sure you get the class you need.

2) Small Faculty. This is also tied into number one. The staff is small (but very well educated) so there are not many sections available.

3) Surrounding area. The surrounding area is not really enjoyable.
4) Beauracracy. This university has you fill out more forms than you can imagine. Faculty (not the professors) will tell you to go to someone else for a problem. The person they sent you to will tell you to go to someone else and so on and on and on. This process will definatley familarize you with the campus. I have been put on a loop-around so many times because the administration doesn't do much to help students. I have really learned A LOT about how the campus works because I have had to figure out my schedule, graduation date, and many other things myself.

The positives:
1) Professors are friendly, smart, and willing to help students.
2) The student body are really fun and welcoming.
3) I feel like I am getting a truly quality education. People may look down on Guam because they think we are backwards, living in huts, or completely shut off from the world. The fact is we are not.

4) Cultural exposure and diversity. Students from all over Micronesia and Asia come to UOG. You will meet people from different cultures, religions, and places. It is a guarantee. This cultural diversity is not limited to just the student body--it is incorporated into the curriculm itself. I personally feel like the positives outweigh the negatives. Many of my professors have impacted me and I am grateful to them. Although the administration leaves me worn out emotionally and physically, my time has been worth it.

4th Year Female -- Class 2009