StudentsReview :: Cornell College - Comments and Student Experiences

Casual Comment

Summer
HS Summer Programs
Internship Post

Summary
 Information
 Sports

Forward me!

Snapshot - Student Ratings
Collaboration/Competitive   B
Useful Schoolwork   B+

Without a doubt, Cornell was a great experience, but also has helped me continuously since I graduated. Currently, I am in law school and I can feel the effects of my learning everyday. Cornell's faculty are excellent. I was pushed hard, especially by the Politics dept. I have come to find that I have written 4 or 5 times as many papers as most of my peers. Because of that, my writing AND my thinking is much more refined. Mount Vernon IS small. I did not have a problem with this, as the community is really nice...so nice that I chose to live there over all my undergrad summers. As for social groups, I was in one and I still had a slew of non-group friends. Social groups are both good and bad...it is up to each person to make the call on that issue. All the college services are there for you use, although I admit, I did not utilize them as much as I should have.
Preparedness: B+, Reputation: B+
Nov 27 2004 Alumnus Male -- Class 2000
  Mark Invalid   Discuss Comment
I loved the block plan (one-class-at-a-time, where each class takes 18 days). It afforded me opportunities to travel with my classes that would never have been possible at a different school. A few classes were harder this way (Calculus and foreign language for me), but those were still completely workable.

I was actually a double-major (Art in addition to Geology), and all of the ratings I gave for "My Department" actually apply to both departments. For all departments I came in contact with, for that matter.One thing you do have to be prepared for is that your social life may not be handed to you. I heard others complain about the lack of things to do in Mount Vernon. I, personally, never had this problem, but I also don't require a big city to be amused. You do have to actually try to find things to do from time to time. Both Cedar Rapids and Iowa City are within half an hour to 45 minutes away.
Faculty Accessibility: A+, University Resource Use: F
 More →

Nov 23 2004 4th Year Female -- Class 1998
Contact
  Mark Invalid   Discuss Comment
College was EXCELLENT for trying new things and honing my leadership potential. Cornell is the perfect place to chalk up a variety of experiences -- there are many, many extracurricular activities and leadership opportunities on campus. (It's an easy place to be a big fish in a small pond in your area of interest.)

AND if there is something you are interested that is not offered, you can create your own group or club, (Cornell's Living & Learning Communities in Merner Hall are an excellent place to do this. You and a group of friends apply for living space in the elite Merner Hall and complete a self-designed, year-long service project, focusing on your area of interest -- essentially living and learning together.)

The one thing that I wish I had done, but didn't, was to get internships off campus. I also wished I had utilized the Careers Services office more. If I had to do it over again, I would go straight to Career Services my Freshman year and talk with them. They will help you come up with a game plan to get the most out of your four years at college.
Starting Job: Editorial Assistant, Preparedness: C, Reputation: C