StudentsReview :: Wartburg College - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint Olaf College -- Northfield, MN

Wartburg College

I was at Wartburg in 1990.Quite BrightReligion/Religious
I was at Wartburg in 1990. My advice is stay off away from the school if God means a thing to you. Students generally friendly and mostly Lutheran. The one thing this school did teach me was about some liberal individuals in history. Problem is its not relevant often to success in business world today. And it DEFINITELY is not worth your time if you are serious about God. I found most LUTHERAN students there didn't have the slightest relationship with God. They simply could not relate to what a personal relationship with God is, at all. Luther knew God much much better than the people on this campus. The school had a nice campus, great food and friendly people, but the students and faculty there think they know God when they don't. I took a class in contemporary theology for instance, and the professor teaching it taught a bunch of largely heretical theologians like they were the voice of God (Karl Barth, Schliermacher? others). He had his students hyped that this stuff was the greatest in the world, when in truth, most of these theologians are very very bad heretical theologians. This class should have been taught to expose the errors of the theologians and how their theology destroyed many churches, instead, the professor wanted his students to believe these men were the greatest in the world. Wartburg seminary follows the same garbage. As a Christian, I would not go near Wartburg College or the Wartburg seminary (in Dubuque) for any desire to serve God unless you want unBiblical weak trash. Not all Lutheran churches are bad, but the vast majority are false unbelieving churches and their colleges and seminaries usually reflect this.
1st Year Female -- Class 1990
Faculty Accessibility: B, Surrounding City: D-
1).Super BrilliantBusiness - Management and Administration
1). “Scholarship Day Applicants” and “Prospective Students” are treated like gods and goddesses at the expense of the Matriculated Students.

(i.e. Scholarship Day Applicants are given priority in usage of all academic facilities, and matriculated students are threatened that they “will be escorted out of the building by Campus Security” if they don't comply. It happened to me on several occasions when I was a student.)

(example #2: Scholarship Day Applicants are given whatever they want to eat, while Matriculated Students aren't even allowed a glass of milk with their sack lunches while campus is shut down for these applicants!)

2). NEVER take any Computer Science classes from Dr. Terry Letsche! Take Dr. John Zelle instead because you will learn a lot more. When I asked Dr. Letsche a question, he always gave me the answers when I didn't want that. I learned NOTHING from Dr. Letsche.

3). NEVER ask Dr. Vicki Edelnant for help at the Pathways Center! I asked her for advice on a number of occasions, and she yelled at me for doing so. She has psychosis issues to resolve, but won't admit it.

4). NEVER take classes with Dr. Mariah Birgen! She is known as “She Birgen” for a reason...She dodges questions when you ask her for help during Office Hours and breast-feeds her children in class while teaching. She's obsessed with Vensim PLE and Maple software for MA 250 Calculus, and she doesn't know how to teach well at all. She and her husband both work at the MCSP Department.

6). If you're not a Student-Athlete, the Dining Services Department tells you "This is only for the athletes." So, non-sthletes are forced out of line and have to eat fruit and water. This happened to me every single weekend of the term. I only attended Wartburg for one term because of these six reasons (and nine other reasons, too). Pick a different school!

1st Year Female -- Class 2006
Campus Aesthetics: A, Education Quality: F
1). "Scholarship Day Applicants" and "Prospective Students"Not so brightBusiness - Management and Administration
1). "Scholarship Day Applicants" and "Prospective Students" are treated like gods and goddesses at the expense of the Matriculated Students.

(i.e. Scholarship Day Applicants are given priority in usage of all academic facilities, and matriculated students are threatened that they "will be escorted out of the building by Campus Security" if they don't comply. It happened to me on several occasions when I was a student.)

4). NEVER take classes with Dr. Mariah Birgen! She is known as "She Birgen" for a reason...She dodges questions when you ask her for help during Office Hours and breast-feeds her children in class while teaching. She's obsessed with Vensim PLE and Maple software for MA 250 Calculus, and she doesn't know how to teach well at all. She and her husband both work at the MCSP Department.5). The Dining Services Department doesn't care about students' dietetic needs, even if you have a Dr.'s notes explaining your health issues. I brought in two Dr.'s notes explaining my dietary needs, and the Department scoffed at them. Nothing changed even after a 90-minute conference with the Director, Margaret Empie.

1st Year Female -- Class 2001