StudentsReview :: Wartburg College - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint Olaf College -- Northfield, MN

Wartburg College

Wartburg is terrific school and one that IQuite BrightCommunications
Wartburg is terrific school and one that I have gained an increasing respect for after graduating and observing other schools. It's a wonderful community of friendly people who are there to support you and challenge you in the classroom and in your personal life. I made close connections with professors who I still keep in touch with and who have been great resources and references for me.

In my opinion, there are just two potential drawbacks for Wartburg: (1) Location. Wartburg is in a small town, and many people from larger cities complained about this. Waverly is a safe place with the basics, but it's nothing I would want to spend much time in. There's just nothing to do there. Luckily, Wartburg itself has tons of stuff going on. (2) Lack of diversity. Waverly and Wartburg are not very diverse. The population is mostly white and from Iowa or the Midwest and nearly entirely Christian. There is some diversity among beliefs and value systems, but mostly, it is pretty homogenous.All in all, though, I wouldn't go anywhere else if I had to do it again. Wartburg prepared me for my career, inspired me to think for myself, and introduced me to wonderful opportunities. May Term trips are a fantastic way to experience some of the diversity that Wartburg itself lacks, and study abroad opportunities abound. This is a GREAT school!

4th Year Female -- Class 2003
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Surrounding City: D
Wartburg College is a school that challenges itsBrightChemistry
Wartburg College is a school that challenges its students in all aspects of their life (academically, athletically, spiritually (if you choose)). This college has a beautiful campus, and offers many diverse extra-curricular activities to enrich ones interests from ballroom dancing class to student senate to rugby. There is definately something for everyone. The surrounding town is a good size and is safe and small enough to allow students to focus on academics. If students are looking for more activities then what is provided in town or on campus, then taking a trip to neighboring cities and other colleges and universities is possible, due to Wartburgs location (Half-hour to two hours drive). The faculty is great. They are supportive and offer their help and knowledge to students seeking it. The students display high comradery, and this is mainly due to the great atmosphere. The classrooms and lab facilities are technologically advanced with the new science building (2003) and student union (2004). The downsize is that Wartburg College could use more dorms and some updating on the current ones. Although I have only completed one year at this institution I look forward to finishing my next three. If you are looking for a small college this is one to definately take a look at.
1st Year Female -- Class 2006
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: C+
1).Super BrilliantBusiness - Management and Administration
1). “Scholarship Day Applicants” and “Prospective Students” are treated like gods and goddesses at the expense of the Matriculated Students.

(i.e. Scholarship Day Applicants are given priority in usage of all academic facilities, and matriculated students are threatened that they “will be escorted out of the building by Campus Security” if they don't comply. It happened to me on several occasions when I was a student.)

(example #2: Scholarship Day Applicants are given whatever they want to eat, while Matriculated Students aren't even allowed a glass of milk with their sack lunches while campus is shut down for these applicants!)

2). NEVER take any Computer Science classes from Dr. Terry Letsche! Take Dr. John Zelle instead because you will learn a lot more. When I asked Dr. Letsche a question, he always gave me the answers when I didn't want that. I learned NOTHING from Dr. Letsche.

3). NEVER ask Dr. Vicki Edelnant for help at the Pathways Center! I asked her for advice on a number of occasions, and she yelled at me for doing so. She has psychosis issues to resolve, but won't admit it.

4). NEVER take classes with Dr. Mariah Birgen! She is known as “She Birgen” for a reason...She dodges questions when you ask her for help during Office Hours and breast-feeds her children in class while teaching. She's obsessed with Vensim PLE and Maple software for MA 250 Calculus, and she doesn't know how to teach well at all. She and her husband both work at the MCSP Department.

5). The Dining Services Department doesn't care about students' dietetic needs, even if you have a Dr.'s notes explaining your health issues. I brought in two Dr.'s notes explaining my dietary needs, and the Department scoffed at them. Nothing changed even after a 90-minute conference with the Director, Margaret Empie.

6). If you're not a Student-Athlete, the Dining Services Department tells you "This is only for the athletes." So, non-sthletes are forced out of line and have to eat fruit and water. This happened to me every single weekend of the term. I only attended Wartburg for one term because of these six reasons (and nine other reasons, too). Pick a different school!

1st Year Female -- Class 2006