StudentsReview :: Boise State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Rutgers The State University of New Jersey -- Camden, NJ

Boise State University

Let me first say, that I came toAverageMechanical Engineering
Let me first say, that I came to BSU because I originally started going to an out-of-state school, but due to how expensive it was, I had to transfer back home to Idaho.

Now... The reason I'm saying this, is because I think the price of the school played a part in the types of people that attended it. By far, the other students have been my worst experience here. There truly is a huge difference in the students here compared to how it was at my last school. At my other school, people were friendly, focused on their school work, easy to interact with, etc. BSU is the complete opposite. There have been a few exceptions of course, but overall, being here is far from a friendly experience.

In terms of faculty... I believe that each school will have its share of good and bad staff. However, going off my experience from my other school, it's definitely not better here. Some of the professors here are definitely willing to help their students (my Circuits professor comes to mind for this). Then there are others that seem to pretend to care about some of their students. When it comes to my student advisor, he's... Decent. He has helped me at times, but there were definitely other times when he was absolutely not helpful. However, compared to the students, the faculty are much more helpful and friendly.

I've only been here for a year so far, but it definitely doesn't seem like the kind of school to go for if you're interested in a science field.

The campus on the other hand has a positive side. At my last campus, it had a high international student presence. And lets just say, many of these people smoked. Everywhere. The non-smoking bits on campus is a nice change from my list campus experience.Overall, would I recommend BSU? Absolutely not. Definitely research your major and consider going to other schools. Please avoid going to BSU. BSU seems to be more focused around its sports than its education, especially when it comes to science related majors.

1st Year Male -- Class 2015
Scholastic Success: A, Surrounding City: D+
Living on campus made me really hate school.Quite BrightComputer Science
Living on campus made me really hate school. If you're like me and you value sleep or have a hard time sleeping, I can almost guarantee you'll prefer living off campus. The walls are paper thin and it's not uncommon for RAs to ignore people being loud late at night because they don't want to take the time to write people up. A lot of people also take early classes and are sometimes talkative in the morning, so that prevents me from sleeping as well. I learned very quickly that I start to resent people within a few months if I'm not able to sleep, and it really hurt my college experience. Living on campus isn't for everyone, but they try to make it seem like it is (I was a part of the Living Learning Communities as well).
1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Social Life: D
Having almost completed my freshman year here:BrightElectrical Engineering
Having almost completed my freshman year here:

Pros:
-Faculty are helpful and friendly. Almost always willing to negotiate office hours and talk through e-mail correspondence.

-Campus is beautiful.
-Good technology integration and support.
-Lots of money flowing in from local companies and sports. Departments are frequently upgraded.
-Programs are constantly undergoing change.
-Low in-state tuition.
Cons:
-Quality of a class is dependent on the teacher you get. There is some quality control on the teachers, but it's minimal.

-Math department is below average. Tutoring is available, but there are just too many kids to teach them well.

-Noticeable religious influence. Two different bible study buildings, the occasional ranting pastor in the quad, and a sizable part of the student population is excessively religious.

-Classes are just too big. English 101/102, Chem 111, Math 147... really any of the intro. classes. They often have 12 or more sections of 30+ students. In the case of Chem, you are stuck in a lecture hall with 200 students.

Summary:
If you live in Meridian, Boise, Nampa, or Caldwell this is an excellent choice. Although the education isn't outstanding, it isn't terrible either. Also, it's reasonably priced.If you live out-of-state, I wouldn't recommend BSU. There are other, higher quality universities that you can pay roughly the same for.

1st Year Male -- Class 2017