StudentsReview :: Boise State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Rutgers The State University of New Jersey -- Camden, NJ

Boise State University

BSU is the definition of, "You get whatBrightComputer Science
BSU is the definition of, "You get what you pay for." It is incredibly affordable for in-state students. For out-of-state students, I strongly recommend you find a better place to spend your money.Keep in mind that this is a very quid-pro-quo institution. Students are here to get a degree, faculty are here to get a paycheck. With few exceptions, the learning climate will be one of business-like efficiency.
5th Year Male -- Class 2017
Collaboration/Competitive: A, Education Quality: D
My time on campus was pretty alright.Quite BrightBiology
My time on campus was pretty alright. I didnt have any problems with the staff and since I took the bus to school every day I didnt have to worry about parking. It's an alright school for a decent education. Often times I felt when sitting in class that my money was being wasted because I had to take useless filler classes that BSU makes you take regardless of your major. When it comes to grading though I had lucky teachers and they were nice, respectful, and always worked with me. I still truly appreciate them.

Now heres my complaints that I think prospective students should know:
1. Around campus there are church protesters who will stand in the middle of the quad and try to force their religion on you. They will come up to you as you're walking past (you cant avoid them), and will give you little informational packets. Now those are the nice people. In my experience I've had the misfortune of meeting the not so nice people who will try to stop you and tell you things like "You're going to hell" based on your appearance. I've also heard a lot of horror stories from faculty and other students about these people, but I dont believe it's my place to mention them. Just know that this is an issue with the campus right now.

2. If you're going to ride the bus know that they are always late, and they stop running buses at 6pm which is unfortunate because I couldn't have classes in the evenings or go to any evening activites on campus. 3. My absolute biggest problem with BSU and why I will not return- I applied to BSU right after highschool and was enrolled the following semester, but because I joined so soon I didn't have enough money saved up to live in the campus dorms and pay for a meal plan. So I ended up moving in with a family member who lives very close near the campus instead. All was fine until after my freshman year. I tried to sign up for classes again and they told me I couldn't because they charged me a $3000 non residence fee for not living on campus my freshman year. This seemed ridiculuous because I've lived in Idaho my whole life and the room I rented outside of campus wasnt even 10 miles away from campus! I was furious and I wanted answers about why I was never warned about this. They didn't have any answers for me, and the fee was sent to collections. As of now the interest keeps rising because the third party corporation that BSU hired to take care of its collections is very rude and does not respond to my emails. They will try to ignore you for as long as possible to try to get your interest to rise up. I tried taking this directly to the financial advisors at BSU but they told me they can't help with something that has already gone to collections. I'm very sad that something this ridiculous has ruined my future education plans. DO NOT apply to a school that is affiliated with third party corporations especially Williams and Fudge.

1st Year Female -- Class 2019
Faculty Accessibility: A, Useful Schoolwork: D
Living on campus made me really hate school.Quite BrightComputer Science
Living on campus made me really hate school. If you're like me and you value sleep or have a hard time sleeping, I can almost guarantee you'll prefer living off campus. The walls are paper thin and it's not uncommon for RAs to ignore people being loud late at night because they don't want to take the time to write people up. A lot of people also take early classes and are sometimes talkative in the morning, so that prevents me from sleeping as well. I learned very quickly that I start to resent people within a few months if I'm not able to sleep, and it really hurt my college experience. Living on campus isn't for everyone, but they try to make it seem like it is (I was a part of the Living Learning Communities as well).
1st Year Female -- Class 2016