StudentsReview :: Aurora University - Comments and Student Experiences

Biola University -- La Mirada, CA

Aurora University

I really dislike the

Feb 11 2014Nursing
I really dislike the environment and the curriculum. I haven't even finished a full year and I am already wanting to transfer. There's nothing to do on campus and the opportunity for clubs is to a minimum.
Campus Aesthetics: A, Social Life: D-

i am doing online

Aug 28 2014Nursing
i am doing online BSN program and I am shocked to learn that we need camera and microphone so the teacher can monitor us during the test?Also some instructors arrange phone meeting for BUSSY online students. I don't have time for online meeting!!! That is why i code it ONLINE!!!!!!!!!
1st Year Male -- Class 2015
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Useful Schoolwork: D-

I transferred in from a Junior College and

Jan 31 2014Computer Science
I transferred in from a Junior College and was attracted because of the essentially free ride I received as I was a straight A student. I wish I would have looked beyond the "free education"; often you get what you paid for. Essentially this schools rep is built on two things. One the city of Aurora is in partnership with the college so the city pays a whole lot of money to send its staff there to get degrees, as a result you have a lot of classes filled with dimwitted municipal employees, who in general are a large cut below average. So the city spends a lot of money to prop up the University and cuts it a lot of slack, a fact that the residents around the University really resent. AU students are really looked down on n the surrounding community and it is not a friendly place to be.

The other is factor is that that minority inner city churches pool money together to ship inner city minorities (often gang members) to AU - so the church community raves about AU because of its diversity. Unfortunately that translates to a lot of students who are not college material attending. There is a lot of racial tension and a lot of girls are constantly sexually harassed by certain groups of people. Aurora also has a large indigenous population of illegal aliens and Latinos who attend the college and often are ill prepared for a real collegiate life.

Lastly several of the programs are simply jokes. Their Computer Science program is not competitive and of marginal value in the market place. Graduates of Northern Illinois University Computer Science program are strongly favored over AU grads for a reason, AU program is 4th rate in computer science. I took some classes at NIU and I could not believe how much harder they were and yet how competent I felt in the subject matter when the semester ended. AU pampers it Com Sci students, NIU does not.

My advice is to avoid Aurora University. Aurora University is a school you fall down to not aspire to. It is for townies, municipal workers and minority outreach students not for people with talent or ability.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2014