StudentsReview :: Bradley University - Comments and Student Experiences

BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
Too small of a school for me
1st Year Male -- Class 2016
Education Quality: A, Perceived Campus Safety: D
Bradley University has seen some improvements since IAverageSociology
Bradley University has seen some improvements since I attended, so this review will compare how it was for me from 2005-2010 to how it is now.

Pros-The campus is a lot of fun. They seem to be getting better at bringing in current and notoriously good bands to perform (Breathe Carolina performed there once I believe), they host a lot of events in the quad areas and they have this thing called Late Night BU. LNBU is kind of debatable. I personally thought it was kind of childish. They had petting zoos, bounce houses/trampolines or whatever, and face painting. Nothing of the sort interested me in the slightest. I knew it was an attempt to discourage students from underage drinking, so it was good that they at least tried something, but it didn't really cater to the taste of a lot of student demographics. Ironically enough, many students would drink before attending LNBU to see if alcohol would make it more fun. It didn?t. I think the small class size is good but you don't always get that. During my Gen-ed courses, I would sit in a large lecture hall with over 150 other students. I did get smaller discussion based courses that were offered for my major, but I think it's kind of false advertising to boast that students get the small class size advantage if they attend BU. At least mention that these classes supplement larger classes. The majority of my fond memories stem from me drinking and partying. I know a lot of people will go on these websites and state that they don't like to do that, but I?m not one of them, and I don't judge people for wanting to have some fun. Besides, there isn't much else to do around Peoria anyway, especially if you don't have a car. The students that attend BU seem to be of?.let's say?high moral quality. I met a lot of nice people, and I think BU has to be doing something right to attract these kinds of people.

Cons-Quality of education: Great for Engineers and PT students, TERRIBLE for everyone else. I took classes at BU that I later realized were not preparing me for a career in?.well?ANY field whatsoever. The rhetoric was completely manifested in theory, and most employers care more about clinical field experience than knowledge of theory/philosophy.

Crime Crime CRIME!!! One of the most heartbreaking and frustrating experiences of my lifetime involved me complaining to the administration about how the hottest spot for crime wasn't safe enough (police foot patrols, emergency posts, etc?) for my friend when he was attacked by a group of criminals. His mother wrote an email expressing her frustration and the president wrote back essentially stating that it was HIS fault he got attacked because he was drinking. I think if people knew that they would be getting mugged LITERALLY right outside of their apartments (That's where he got jumped), no one would ever go out. This is just one example of how Bradley's administration is completely corrupt, and will twist stories/facts in any way they can so they can cover their asses. It?s really sad that they are more concerned about making money and less concerned about student's safety.

The Campus Police are a complete joke. They will give out chicken shit tickets to one group of students for underage drinking, while another group/individual is getting stabbed, raped or mugged. Real professional guys. At least campus police and task forces at other schools have the excuse for doing this so often: They have nothing else to do. Again, this is another reason they are more worried about making money and less about student safety. You don't have to look far around Bradley's campus to find crimes or crimes about to happen. But where are the Police? Giving out $425 drinking tickets. And that's just the price it was when I went there, it probably went up by now.

The administration engages in wasteful spending without offering any transparency pertaining to where your money is going. This school's library was ranked the third worst library in the country when I attended. Somehow BU was able to come up with some money to make improvements, and what did they do? THEY BUILT A STARBUCKS. That's right, a Starbucks. Even though they had one on campus already, and another across the street in campus town, BU built a Starbucks (Lewis Black voice) They had the third worst library in the country, and BU built a STARBUCKS!!! When students complained about how fiscally irresponsible this was, the administration just said that it was a student-run idea. Well that's nice to know; you impart responsibility with funding to morons instead of using it the way it should be used. Oh, and they also just sunk thousands into making an ?Alumni? building. It?s uses for alumni are unclear to me, but I don't know anyone whose used it since graduating. How about you put this money into improving your lousy departments and programs instead of building a building that no one uses?

Honestly, If you put yourself out there, you can make some friends at BU, and there are some decent professors that teach interesting classes. I just wish the staff wasn't so rude, the administration wasn't so corrupt and the money they get would go to better causes. Given that there are more cons than pros here, I think it's obvious enough that I wouldn't recommend spending your money at this expensive school. Find a place that offers more bang for your buck and will get you a good job.

5th Year Male -- Class 2010
Campus Aesthetics: A, Education Quality: F
I was really excited about starting Bradley.Quite BrightPsychology
I was really excited about starting Bradley. Visit days make you feel at home. I love the small campus, the idea of small classrooms sounded perfect to me. I thought I did all the research and visit days I needed. I was overly committed.

I started to rethink my decision during orientation. Other students came from little towns with graduating classes with 60-100 people. It was like they never seen African Americans before. This made me a little weary.

Now that school is in session, I feel like African Americans have little voice on campus. None of the NPHC Greeks have houses on Fredonia where all the white Greeks have huge houses. Its hard getting a good black party or event on campus because it is such a lack of black population. On average there may be 2 black students in per class. If you ask an African American on Bradley's campus have they experienced racism. They will most likely say YES.

I'm not saying that a lot of black people is necessary or I would have attended a HBCU. It is just very easy to feel alone here if you are African American. Although the black students really stick together as one I still wish I would have known the school was only 6% black. Now the education has me stuck here. Faculty are fair and I truly work hard for my grades. First semester I finished with a 3.8. Besides some of my credits won't transfer over.If you are an African American considering Bradley decide if social life is more important than education. If it is stay clear from Bradley.

Faculty Accessibility: A+, Social Life: F