StudentsReview :: DePaul University - Comments and Student Experiences

Loyola Marymount University -- Los Angeles, CA
Loyola University -- New Orleans, LA

DePaul University

When attempting to enroll into this University, make

Sep 10 2014Sociology
When attempting to enroll into this University, make sure, I plead find an good attorney. Do not sign anything. They do not keep their word. Their has been compromising situations, and only a few from LAS, and admissions have been true Angels. The Head, and the School for new learning and financial administrators, are the worst liars. They will turn on you, in a hard beat. They are better Secular schools than this one. Who would name their school after a demon, and you are supposed to be Catholic?

I love many things about DePaul but still

Sep 03 2014Journalism
I love many things about DePaul but still plan to transfer this up coming year. As a student in the honors program I have a wonderful adviser who remembered the details of our conversation an entire year later. All of the staff knew my name and had a general understanding of who I am as a student and an individual because of the small class sizes and amount of participation required. If you are not comfortable talking in front of a class on a daily basis DePaul is not for you. Attendance and participation are mandatory in most classes. With that said if you show up and do your work you are guaranteed a C even in the honors program.

Socially DePaul is for a specific type of person. I made a lot of friends in the dorms and hung out there all the time, but I like to party. My roommate, on the other hand, was a bit more laid back and struggled to make friends in the dorms and on campus. Even as freshmen the bar scene is huge and absolutely the only thing to do on Thursdays. If you dont have a fake ID you are missing out on about half of the weekends plans. Sororities and frats are not too big but they do make it easier to find a party. Also, if you are a drinker/smoker/ect you have to be extremely careful living in the dorms. There is a secrurity guard at every desk and they make you scan in. If you appear the least bit intoxicated they call public safety (campus police) who call an ambulance and take you to the hospital. You can only check in two guests at a time and you must check them out every single time you leave. It is a huge pain in the ass and people get writen up for it all the time, resulting in no guests for two weeks. In addition, guests can only stay for two nights. Quiet hours are another easy way to get writen up. After ten on school nights and twelve on weekends the RAs go looking for people making noise. They take it ridiculously seriously and will search your room if you are loud. Basically if you party, you will get in trouble. And if you dont, you will have no friends. Chicago is awesome though, classes are interesting for the most part. People are friendly. There are a million organizations if you take the time to seek them out. Teachers really care. Its a good time.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2017
Individual Value: A+, Social Life: D+

I would be entering my junior year at

Aug 02 2014Communications
I would be entering my junior year at DePaul, but I plan on transferring in the fall to a different school. I don't think that DePaul is all bad; it works for some people. However, you need to have a very specific personality type to get the quintessential DePaul experience.

On the plus side, DePaul has an outstanding communications program, top-notch facilities, an extremely helpful internship service, a beautiful surrounding area, and offers highly educational seminars. When I finally found my niche in the communications department at DePaul, I ended up getting a lot out of their program. DePaul offers a wide variety of classes and the teachers, at least those in the communications department, are helpful, accessible, and interested in helping you succeed. They also offer a lot of helpful resources in the library, which is open until two in the morning. Thirdly, their internship service works somewhat like Monster, but gives an edge to DePaul students. You can find an internship on just about anything you would want to study through the school. Fourth, Chicago has everything you could ever want. As my Intro to PR teacher said, "If Chicago wasn't so cold, everyone would want to live here." Lastly, DePaul offers seminars on topics such as LinkedIn and leadership. If you do end up at DePaul, use the resources that DePaul offers you and explore the city as much as you can.

Unfortunately, DePaul's negatives outweighed its positives for me. The school strongly lacks a social life, a sense of community, diversity, student involvement, and challenging core classwork. The little social life that DePaul has takes place at the bars, and if you don't have a fake ID, you're SOL. Students typically do not socialize in the dorms or in class. Since most of the dorm's doors do not stay open on their own, many students close theirs and do not socialize as they would at other schools. As for classes, on the other hand, students attend class and leave out the door as soon as possible.

Secondly, DePaul severely lacks a sense of community. The only people who wear DePaul gear are commuters, transfers, and "bros" who couldn't get into any state schools. Students rarely attend sporting events because the basketball team plays over an hour away and, anyways, most DePaul students do not care about sports.

Thirdly, DePaul advertises more diversity than they represent. Most of the kids are from upper-class families from the Chicago suburbs. For example, I get weird looks when I tell people I'm from Pennsylvania. If the diversity aspect is a selling point for you, think again.

Fourth, DePaul does not encourage student involvement in the slightest. When I discovered that DePaul had somewhere around 100 student organizations, I was shocked because no one participates in them. The only organizations that I know of that students participate in are greek life, religious organizations, and sometimes DAB, or the Activities Board. If you would like to join a sorority or fraternity or find other people to join in your spiritual journey, maybe DePaul is the place for you. If you want to explore other areas of interest that will advance you in your career, or simply in your personal life, I advise looking elsewhere.

Lastly, DePaul lacks challenging classwork. I felt more challenged in high school than I did in my requirement classes. The education was not worth the money I paid for it.Overall, I disliked DePaul because it failed to give me what I wanted out of my college experience; however, I still think that DePaul is a good school. If you are an independent, driven individual, DePaul could be for you. If you want a college experience, look elsewhere.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2016