StudentsReview :: DePaul University - Comments and Student Experiences

Loyola Marymount University -- Los Angeles, CA
Loyola University -- New Orleans, LA

DePaul University

When attempting to enroll into this University, make

Sep 10 2014Sociology
When attempting to enroll into this University, make sure, I plead find an good attorney. Do not sign anything. They do not keep their word. Their has been compromising situations, and only a few from LAS, and admissions have been true Angels. The Head, and the School for new learning and financial administrators, are the worst liars. They will turn on you, in a hard beat. They are better Secular schools than this one. Who would name their school after a demon, and you are supposed to be Catholic?

I love many things about DePaul but still

Sep 03 2014Journalism
I love many things about DePaul but still plan to transfer this up coming year. As a student in the honors program I have a wonderful adviser who remembered the details of our conversation an entire year later. All of the staff knew my name and had a general understanding of who I am as a student and an individual because of the small class sizes and amount of participation required. If you are not comfortable talking in front of a class on a daily basis DePaul is not for you. Attendance and participation are mandatory in most classes. With that said if you show up and do your work you are guaranteed a C even in the honors program.

Socially DePaul is for a specific type of person. I made a lot of friends in the dorms and hung out there all the time, but I like to party. My roommate, on the other hand, was a bit more laid back and struggled to make friends in the dorms and on campus. Even as freshmen the bar scene is huge and absolutely the only thing to do on Thursdays. If you dont have a fake ID you are missing out on about half of the weekends plans. Sororities and frats are not too big but they do make it easier to find a party. Also, if you are a drinker/smoker/ect you have to be extremely careful living in the dorms. There is a secrurity guard at every desk and they make you scan in. If you appear the least bit intoxicated they call public safety (campus police) who call an ambulance and take you to the hospital. You can only check in two guests at a time and you must check them out every single time you leave. It is a huge pain in the ass and people get writen up for it all the time, resulting in no guests for two weeks. In addition, guests can only stay for two nights. Quiet hours are another easy way to get writen up. After ten on school nights and twelve on weekends the RAs go looking for people making noise. They take it ridiculously seriously and will search your room if you are loud. Basically if you party, you will get in trouble. And if you dont, you will have no friends. Chicago is awesome though, classes are interesting for the most part. People are friendly. There are a million organizations if you take the time to seek them out. Teachers really care. Its a good time.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2017
Individual Value: A+, Social Life: D+

Well, three years after I have since graduated

Oct 26 2014Business - Management and Administration
Well, three years after I have since graduated from DePaul in 2011 I feel cheated and scammed with basically no job prospects in my related field of study and s*** load of student loans that will probably never be paid in full. In short, I regret ever going to DePaul and wish things could have been different. Here is the review for school if you want to keep reading.

I started in 2006 in the bridge program at DePaul which consisted of students that needed extra preparation in order to become a full time student for whatever reason I suppose. I have no idea if they are still doing this program or not. I guess I could say it was terrible ACT scores at the time because I suck at standardized testing. However, I felt that I didn't really need to be a part of this program but in my case I am kinda glad because I got to meet the only fiend I have ever had at DePaul through this program. Without it, I doubt we would have met otherwise because the social community at DePaul is practically non-existent for most of the students that live there let alone the commuters.

The dorms for the most part are pretty nice and safe for the most part at least from my perspective. Nevertheless, unless you managed to become best friends with your roommate(s) you will have trouble meeting people around campus. I don't drink so I was never involved in the bar scene or the very rare frat apartment parties that would take place if you can find it. With that said, if you are like me or not that much of a partier you are not going to be making any friends period because the student groups and organizations are a complete joke!

The Academics at this school are basically hit or miss depending on the professor but for the most part they are smaller classrooms and if you have a good professor than they can assist you and be accommodating. The bad professors will screw you over unless you are smart and don't need any help. I never paid my attention to any Liberal BS because it wasn't apparent in most of the classes I took however I imagine that might have changed for the worse by now.

The career prospects really depend on what you study, major, GPA, and what type of job you want out of college. I can only speak on the resources they have which are limited if you don't have any work experience and they are generally are unhelpful. The career center has all of the resources that one can find to assist you find a job but I felt it wasn't enough for me to acquire a job in my field. The alumini network is not that helpful either. All of the student jobs are given to the girls and minorities which take priority over any white males so good luck with that because I wasn't able to have any student jobs.

All in all, if you like the city of Chicago and would like to study in the city. Than you are better off going somewhere else.

Preparedness: F Reputation: F