StudentsReview :: DePaul University - Comments and Student Experiences

Loyola Marymount University -- Los Angeles, CA
Loyola University -- New Orleans, LA

DePaul University

Well, three years after I have since graduated

Oct 26 2014Business - Management and Administration
Well, three years after I have since graduated from DePaul in 2011 I feel cheated and scammed with basically no job prospects in my related field of study and s*** load of student loans that will probably never be paid in full. In short, I regret ever going to DePaul and wish things could have been different. Here is the review for school if you want to keep reading.

I started in 2006 in the bridge program at DePaul which consisted of students that needed extra preparation in order to become a full time student for whatever reason I suppose. I have no idea if they are still doing this program or not. I guess I could say it was terrible ACT scores at the time because I suck at standardized testing. However, I felt that I didn't really need to be a part of this program but in my case I am kinda glad because I got to meet the only fiend I have ever had at DePaul through this program. Without it, I doubt we would have met otherwise because the social community at DePaul is practically non-existent for most of the students that live there let alone the commuters.

The dorms for the most part are pretty nice and safe for the most part at least from my perspective. Nevertheless, unless you managed to become best friends with your roommate(s) you will have trouble meeting people around campus. I don't drink so I was never involved in the bar scene or the very rare frat apartment parties that would take place if you can find it. With that said, if you are like me or not that much of a partier you are not going to be making any friends period because the student groups and organizations are a complete joke!

The Academics at this school are basically hit or miss depending on the professor but for the most part they are smaller classrooms and if you have a good professor than they can assist you and be accommodating. The bad professors will screw you over unless you are smart and don't need any help. I never paid my attention to any Liberal BS because it wasn't apparent in most of the classes I took however I imagine that might have changed for the worse by now.

The career prospects really depend on what you study, major, GPA, and what type of job you want out of college. I can only speak on the resources they have which are limited if you don't have any work experience and they are generally are unhelpful. The career center has all of the resources that one can find to assist you find a job but I felt it wasn't enough for me to acquire a job in my field. The alumini network is not that helpful either. All of the student jobs are given to the girls and minorities which take priority over any white males so good luck with that because I wasn't able to have any student jobs.

All in all, if you like the city of Chicago and would like to study in the city. Than you are better off going somewhere else.

Preparedness: F Reputation: F

I was 18, young and naive, still a

Apr 22 2014Computer Science
I was 18, young and naive, still a little wet behind the ears. I went to DePaul with high hopes and dreams, with grand plans to make the most of my college experience. What I got was high school with cigarettes. Here are a few things that jumped out at me.

COMMUNITY. Or lack thereof. There was no school spirit. There was no "We are DePaul!". It was a just a collection of people who came in to pump their brains full of liberal propaganda, to get that B.A./B.Sc. No one socialized outside of class, and my computer science classes were the worst offenders. Trying to organize even a mundane group study at Starbucks (no product placement intended) was like herding cats. I visited a buddy at another school, and made friends within 2 days I was there.

CAMPUS ARCHITECTURE. A few older buildings are amazingly beautiful, like the Byrne hall and the Coreylou Commons. The Richardson Library was built in 1993, but looks almost genuinely historic. There two more historic buildings, but they were torn down. Most other buildings are made of ugly, sterile-looking red brick, the one they build condos out of in gentrifying neighborhoods. No character or wow factor at all! If you walked on Kenmore or Belden, you wouldn't know a university was there unless you read the signs.

FIRST-YEAR LIBERAL STUDIES PROGRAM. It's basically glorified diversity training. You spend $400 per credit hour to learn that all straight white men are bad, and all women and minorities are good. Explore Chicago was nice, though. I still have Chicago's street grid memorized thanks to that class.

DEPAUL ACTIVITIES BOARD, the student organization. I was a member, and enjoyed it at first. But in later years, I started getting a bad vibe. It was an elitist organization for students who live on campus (but not on paper, of course), and my presence as a commuter was merely tolerated. Their events stunk. A famous comedian performed only once a year, the Homecoming dances had enough cops there to make it feel like a prison yard, and the Fest was just meh.

VALUE FOR MY MONEY: Abysmal!!! I'm still paying off the students loans, and for what? An education that I could have gotten at a state school 1/4 the price and a boring college experience to boot. If I could buy out the school, close it, and sell off the buildings, I would.

REDEEMING FEATURES. There are only two: small class sizes and the Students Ambassadors organization. I liked being able to raise my hand in class to ask a question, and the Ambassadors made me feel welcome and appreciated, despite me being the only commuter in the organization.In a nutshell, BORING! I found a better sense of camaraderie and shared enjoyment on a cheap cruise than I did in 4 years at DePaul.

4th Year Male -- Class 2005
Useful Schoolwork: A, Social Life: F

I would be entering my junior year at

Aug 02 2014Communications
I would be entering my junior year at DePaul, but I plan on transferring in the fall to a different school. I don't think that DePaul is all bad; it works for some people. However, you need to have a very specific personality type to get the quintessential DePaul experience.

On the plus side, DePaul has an outstanding communications program, top-notch facilities, an extremely helpful internship service, a beautiful surrounding area, and offers highly educational seminars. When I finally found my niche in the communications department at DePaul, I ended up getting a lot out of their program. DePaul offers a wide variety of classes and the teachers, at least those in the communications department, are helpful, accessible, and interested in helping you succeed. They also offer a lot of helpful resources in the library, which is open until two in the morning. Thirdly, their internship service works somewhat like Monster, but gives an edge to DePaul students. You can find an internship on just about anything you would want to study through the school. Fourth, Chicago has everything you could ever want. As my Intro to PR teacher said, "If Chicago wasn't so cold, everyone would want to live here." Lastly, DePaul offers seminars on topics such as LinkedIn and leadership. If you do end up at DePaul, use the resources that DePaul offers you and explore the city as much as you can.

Unfortunately, DePaul's negatives outweighed its positives for me. The school strongly lacks a social life, a sense of community, diversity, student involvement, and challenging core classwork. The little social life that DePaul has takes place at the bars, and if you don't have a fake ID, you're SOL. Students typically do not socialize in the dorms or in class. Since most of the dorm's doors do not stay open on their own, many students close theirs and do not socialize as they would at other schools. As for classes, on the other hand, students attend class and leave out the door as soon as possible.

Secondly, DePaul severely lacks a sense of community. The only people who wear DePaul gear are commuters, transfers, and "bros" who couldn't get into any state schools. Students rarely attend sporting events because the basketball team plays over an hour away and, anyways, most DePaul students do not care about sports.

Thirdly, DePaul advertises more diversity than they represent. Most of the kids are from upper-class families from the Chicago suburbs. For example, I get weird looks when I tell people I'm from Pennsylvania. If the diversity aspect is a selling point for you, think again.

Fourth, DePaul does not encourage student involvement in the slightest. When I discovered that DePaul had somewhere around 100 student organizations, I was shocked because no one participates in them. The only organizations that I know of that students participate in are greek life, religious organizations, and sometimes DAB, or the Activities Board. If you would like to join a sorority or fraternity or find other people to join in your spiritual journey, maybe DePaul is the place for you. If you want to explore other areas of interest that will advance you in your career, or simply in your personal life, I advise looking elsewhere.

Lastly, DePaul lacks challenging classwork. I felt more challenged in high school than I did in my requirement classes. The education was not worth the money I paid for it.Overall, I disliked DePaul because it failed to give me what I wanted out of my college experience; however, I still think that DePaul is a good school. If you are an independent, driven individual, DePaul could be for you. If you want a college experience, look elsewhere.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2016