StudentsReview :: Eastern Illinois University - Comments and Student Experiences

Eastern Illinois University

This school has gone very down hill

Jul 23 2014Biology
This school has gone very down hill. I was a freshman and had the worst experience. The students there are also violent and shady, they're pretty much accepting anyone. The was a couple shootings at parties when I was there... The campus sucks. It's in the middle of nowhere. If you want a high school feel go here... And be expected to be surrounded by people who are only from the country or bad violent areas not much diversity other than that.
Faculty Accessibility: B, Education Quality: F

Eastern will always be part of my family's

Jul 06 2014Psychology
Eastern will always be part of my family's story (my mother and her siblings went here, my husband and I met and married here, and we raised our son here for his first two years), but I wouldn't want my kids to attend EIU. As soon as my husband graduated, we left and I now attend a different university. There are some members of the faculty who clearly care about their students, but the majority seem to think students should consider themselves lucky to be taught by them. Many do not seem to be in teaching for the right reasons. The administration really only sees students as numbers, not individuals. They genuinely seem to not care about the well-being of any of the students and are incredibly unhelpful and cold. There is also a HUGE problem with rape on campus and the school actively tries to cover it up as opposed to doing something about it. I honestly could not recommend EIU to anyone because I feel the chances of them regretting choosing Eastern are pretty high. So many people are leaving (I read attendance was down 30-40%) that they had to close down the largest dorm. I sincerely hope that Eastern gets it together and shapes up so that we can be proud to say we attended EIU.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2015
Friendliness: B+, Individual Value: F

I spent 2 years here before I had

Apr 04 2014Unknown
I spent 2 years here before I had enough and left! I thought things were great until after the first few weeks. After the first few weeks, EIU showed its true ugly colors. Parts of the campus weren't well maintained. There was almost no social life off of campus unless you were big into drinking or Greek life. Crime is ridiculous at times. In the 2 years prior to my being there, there were 12 young women who were raped by various members of the college's football team (many of whom were there on scholarship. Instead of punishing the rapists, the school punished the victims and told them to either hurry up and heal/get over being raped within 3-6 months or less or drop out. All of the victims ended up suing the hell out of the school. One of my friends was beat up pretty badly for being gay and black by some of the guys in his dorm building, and he ended up going to the hospital to be checked out. The students who beat him up got off with a pretty light punishment (they only had to apologize). I had a teacher my final semester (who has since retired-Hallelujah!) who hated most students. That teacher felt that if you were LGBT, otherkin, emo, punk, goth, skater, or a minority of some sort, you should feel blessed to be in his class, but also had the attitude of "who the hell do you think you are coming to my class and my college? How dare you come here." He said some pretty offensive things to myself and my classmates. We reported him to the department chair and college president and nothing was done because there had allegedly never been a complaint against that teacher before. Shame on EIU. I'd definitely recommend going somewhere else for your college education.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2009