StudentsReview :: Eastern Illinois University - Comments and Student Experiences

Eastern Illinois University

People are the strength of EIU -- its

Oct 21 2014English
People are the strength of EIU -- its faculty and staff truly care, class sizes are small, and the perceived limitations of the town actually lead to an ability to build relationships. Charleston is a small town with not a lot of off-campus things to do, but there is always something happening on campus, and Indianapolis, Chicago, and St. Louis are a comfortable driving distance away for an occasional lively weekend if you need a break from small town life.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2017
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: C-

EIU is a very interesting case of a

Oct 14 2014Biology
EIU is a very interesting case of a school, much different from what I expected out of college. They are greatly influenced by the openly prejudiced "Town" of Charleston..They are not surrounded by a city. The school, as well as the police of Charleston, are not afraid to threaten African American students and take away our college experience and benefits. I've seen a party get shut down while a Caucasian party raged on NEXT DOOR!Not only would I not let my child attend EIU, I won't let him/her attend school in this region of Illinois. The coursework is slightly challenging however the professors are lackluster at best in their teaching methods, and are more eager than the students to dismiss class! I won't take any of my negative experiences with me in life, but I truly lost respect for the human spirit at this joke of a university.

I was so excited to start my Freshman

Oct 05 2014Communications
I was so excited to start my Freshman year at EIU. I am a commuter, however, and I had my doubts I may not like it. I should have trusted my instincts. I absolutely hate it at EIU! The violence is getting out of hand, the campus is not pleasing to the eye whatsoever, and if you are a commuter, expect to have no friends. I tried to get involved but most of the meetings were later in the night and all I wanted to do was just go home. The party scene is way too intense for me. Most of the students here are in Greek life and it drives me nuts. The people in Greek life also judge you if you aren't in a sorority or a frat. The academics (so far) have been just truly mediocre and nothing like I expected. Eastern used to be such a great school and I have known many people who used to love EIU! Now, enrollment is down so much they had to close Carman Hall! Crazy how things have changed here. I cannot wait to transfer out of this place. Do not go here!
1st Year Female -- Class 2016