StudentsReview ™ :: Eastern Illinois University - Comments and Student Experiences

Eastern Illinois University

I spent 2 years here before I had

Apr 04 2014Unknown
I spent 2 years here before I had enough and left! I thought things were great until after the first few weeks. After the first few weeks, EIU showed its true ugly colors. Parts of the campus weren't well maintained. There was almost no social life off of campus unless you were big into drinking or Greek life. Crime is ridiculous at times. In the 2 years prior to my being there, there were 12 young women who were raped by various members of the college's football team (many of whom were there on scholarship. Instead of punishing the rapists, the school punished the victims and told them to either hurry up and heal/get over being raped within 3-6 months or less or drop out. All of the victims ended up suing the hell out of the school. One of my friends was beat up pretty badly for being gay and black by some of the guys in his dorm building, and he ended up going to the hospital to be checked out. The students who beat him up got off with a pretty light punishment (they only had to apologize). I had a teacher my final semester (who has since retired-Hallelujah!) who hated most students. That teacher felt that if you were LGBT, otherkin, emo, punk, goth, skater, or a minority of some sort, you should feel blessed to be in his class, but also had the attitude of "who the hell do you think you are coming to my class and my college? How dare you come here." He said some pretty offensive things to myself and my classmates. We reported him to the department chair and college president and nothing was done because there had allegedly never been a complaint against that teacher before. Shame on EIU. I'd definitely recommend going somewhere else for your college education.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2009
Education Quality: C, Useful Schoolwork: F
Aug 21 2013Animal Studies

what happens in chuck vegas, stays in chuck vegas!!!!!!!!!!

3rd Year Male -- Class 2015
Social Life: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: D+

I met some great friends and had a

Jul 01 2013Education
I met some great friends and had a lot of fun my first couple of years in college. Although when I started my so called "real" classes I needed for my major it was somewhat of a joke. If you really want to learn something I would choose a different school.

Over the past 2 years my emails from the local police have increased tremendously dealing with violence. The violence is not directly on campus but it does surround it and sometimes involves the students of Eastern. Often young children are seen in the dorms as well which can be quite annoying for those who actually need/want to study. Eastern is not a horrible school but it isn't as great as it was in the past. I hope this helps!

Preparedness: D+ Reputation: F