StudentsReview :: Heartland Community College - Comments and Student Experiences

Heartland Community College

I think this school does many things well.Quite BrightArt & Design Department
I think this school does many things well. First of all, they really work with students and have a lot of help available for people with learning disabilities or other academic problems. I feel like they were sympathetic and understanding when someone has a complaint. The main issues I had were the cafeteria was some of the worst food, but it's a commuter campus and bloomington/normal has a ton of great, inexpensive restaurants so that's not an issue. Also, you get a free bus pass for bloomington/normal just by being a student at Heartland, which was nice for me, you can take the bus from Heartland to Downtown Normal and it was super fast and could get you just about anywhere. I really liked that. They also have a lot of flexibility as to the times at which you could take classes. I ended up taking mostly evening classes because that's a time of the day when I'm more focused. Many people at Heartland have children, jobs, and other commitments outside of school but the faculty and staff were very understanding. They also keep expanding the services available and adding buildings. It felt good to be a part of a campus that was always pouring money back into things that benefit the students and the community. I expected community college work to be unambitious or not very mentally challenging, but the opposite was true. In addition, being part of clubs such as Game Club and Secular Students Society were great and helped me make friends. I think the school really tries hard and really goes out of their way to help everyone succeed. My main problems were minor: the cafe having bad food at too high a price, and the library not having many actual books. However, the abundance of good and cheap local restaurants and the excellent online database the library does offer help offset those minor problems.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2012
Scholastic Success: A+, Useful Schoolwork: C
Heartland is a community college but at theAveragePolitical Science
Heartland is a community college but at the rate their creating new buildings out there I wouldn't be surprised if they became an actual university. I'm currently a full time student with two online classes and so far I haven't had too much of a difficult time. Heartland this year switched their online classes from WEB CT to Blackboard which has been horrible! For the first week I didn't even have access to my online classes because blackboard had so many errors. Many people have this same problem because Blackboard only works with certain browsers. Even now I still have a hard time with Blackboard and I wish they would go back.

Most of the students that go to HCC come from surrounding small towns. There isn't much to do in Bloomington-Normal so if you come from a big city you probably won't like HCC at all. Most of the people that attend HCC already know each other and seem to stay with their friends so it can be hard to meet people. All of my professors are amazing, completely laid back but know the importance of a good education so they don't let students go crazy in the classroom, a lot of them have strict talking, cellphone, and tardy policies. The HCC campus is big, clean, and the buildings are beautiful, and there are a variety of sports such as baseball, soccer, softball, and I'm sure some others if you're into that kind of thing. Because its a community college there aren't any fraternities or sororities so if you like that sort of thing you probably shouldn't come to HCC for your first two years of college.

1st Year Female -- Class 2012
Innovation: A+, Social Life: C
Definitely not a crappy little community college.Quite BrightPharmacy
Definitely not a crappy little community college. Heartland is surprisingly pretty nice. Very clean, well kept, and beautiful campus. The staff are very helpful and easy to find. The equipment is top notch, not to mention literally everything is brand new. The social life is a little hard if you're shy, because most people are commuters or older. Transferring and admissions are great to work with. I couldn't have picked a better place to take my gen eds.
1st Year Female -- Class 2010