StudentsReview :: Highland Community College - Comments and Student Experiences

Highland Community College

This school is a complete JOKE! My husband,Quite BrightSocial Work
This school is a complete JOKE! My husband, who is a veteran, and I have had nothing but problems. There a few teachers that are wonderful. But as a whole the school is ill ran. The curriculum is ridiculous. I have taken many different classes and different colleges around the US and never have I ever been so disappointed with any school in my LIFE. Unacceptable!!!!
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Perceived Campus Safety: B-, Education Quality: F
This Nursing program would be more tolerable ifAverageNursing
This Nursing program would be more tolerable if you didn't have any other responsibilities. For the adult student that works and goes to school FT,the staff are not very supportive and more worried about following the rules of the nursing program. If classes are scheduled at 8 a.m., and you arrive at 8:01, you are considered tardy and it is held against you. After several tardies, you are not informed about the issue until you are written up and presented with dates from the beginning of the semester until it compiles to over 10 instances, with points taken off your GPA with no warning before hand. After grade deductions, your high "B" average becomes an "F", leaving the student to work 10 times harder at the end of a semester with the threat of being dismissed over your head. To add insult to injury, a nursing student is expected to write a serious report on "professionalism," Which, after being set-up to fail the coarse, the student is left feeling insignificant, with low self esteem. Donna Kauke, and Alecia Kepner are the "Grand Pooba's" of the nursing department and if they don't like you or you have an opinion they don't agree with, you are targeted to be dismissed! The grade appeal process is nothing but a joke! Your information is twisted into making the student look bad and unprofessional. Because these programs make they're own rules, and implement them on whomever they dislike, it leaves the student at they're mercy! I have never had to deal with such unprofessionalism in my life! If you are one of the unfortunate students that is disliked by Donna, and Alecia, you can look forward to a very unpleasant education! What do they care? They already have your money and your not getting it back either. I have wasted enough of my time in the HCC Nursing Program, only to have to start over. Nothing but Power-Hungry infants!
3rd Year Female -- Class 2017
Campus Maintenance: A, Education Quality: F
Highland Community College was an excellent choice forBrightUndecided
Highland Community College was an excellent choice for me. I had been accepted at numerous other colleges, and even offered substantial scholarships at several of them, but I still felt HCC was my best option. As an undecided student, it gave me an opportunity to experience a wide range of classes without paying very much. In fact, with several scholarships, I had to pay very little out of my own pocket for my first two years of college. Not many people can say that at a four year university. Despite the low cost, the quality of education was very high. Yes, there are a few instructors to avoid, but ever college has a few of those. Class sizes were small, and I think that every one of my teachers knew my name by the end of the semester. If you work hard then you will learn a great deal here at HCC. For students who have struggled with school, Highland provides a wealth of resources, from peer tutoring to more one on one time with teachers. For students who have excelled at school, there are plenty of challenging courses. They just recently have started an Honors Program, which give more academically talented students a chance to complete a research project with the help of an instructor. I have not yet started the transfer process, but I hear nothing but good things about the way that the advisors handle the process. Full time students get free memberships at the YMCA, which is located right on campus. For the musically endowed, there are a wide variety of bands and choruses that you can take part in. For the athletic, Highland offers several sports and has some really talented teams. There are also a wide variety of extracurricular activities to join, including Phi Theta Kappa, Student Senate, the Physical Science Club, Environmental Awareness Club, and many others. There is no excuse to be bored at HCC. The college also provided opportunities for work on campus, which is both convenient and enriching. Personally, I see no reason not to attend Highland Community College for your first two years.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2009