StudentsReview :: Loyola University - Chicago - Comments and Student Experiences

Loyola Marymount University -- Los Angeles, CA

Loyola University - Chicago

Loyola is awesome, handsQuite BrightJournalism
Loyola is awesome, hands down. Sure, there are parties and slackers. But you totally get out of it what you put into it. I felt like my professors looked at me like I was a peer (especially senior year) and it was there job to get me ready to get a full-time job.
Starting Job: News Researcher; Preparedness: A+ Reputation: F
I came from a community college and transferredBrightPhysical Therapy/Exercise Science
I came from a community college and transferred to Loyola with a 3.67 GPA. Loyola started out fine at first, but just went downhill the further I reached the end of my semester. They screwed me over with my grants, getting a $7,000 down to a $1,000 within a couple weeks before school started. The writing center is helpful but you need a 1-2 weeks reservation that no one has time for. Classes are challenging and in order to pass them you have to pull all-nighters.
1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: D+
Warning: Do not go here.BrightPolitical Science
Warning: Do not go here. Don't even think about it. If I can steer one person away from this place, I will be happy. Again: DO NOT COME HERE.

Where to start? Let's start with the pros:

Good food in the dining halls. You shouldn't select a college because the food is good.
Lake Michigan. The lake is nice to look at and go to the beach, but again, that shouldn't be a hard selling point.

Chicago. This is a pro and a con: I love Chicago, but the city is not the place to spend college. I know that sounds strange, but it stifles the experience: you live among people of many ages and stages in their lives, and with that you lose the beauty that is when you live in a college town where the majority of people are there because the university is the center.

here we go...
Classes: They're pointless. They're small which is nice or some, but feels like high school all over again.

Price: You're paying multiple times over what out-of-state tuition is for many MUCH BETTER, MORE FUN, MORE RECOGNIZED institutions.

Rogers park: Rogers park is not the worst neighborhood, but it definitely isn't the nicest. You have an influx of immigrants coupled with a high number of mentally ill homeless everywhere.

Academics: The classes aren't too tough, and there are limited research options. Go to a big public school because you'll have a ton more research opportunities.

Social life: Absolutely horrible!!!! The only *almost* saving grace for me was being an athlete. That was pretty nice because I had a group of friends always and something to do on weekends. I can't imagine how much worse it would have been without that. The campus is dead, there are no fun parties, and most people hole up in their dorms and drink, hoping not to get caught by an RA. How lame. Although I think that sometimes the media exaggerates how crazy the "college experience" is at times at large schools, this place is not even remotely close to that experience. The VAST majority of people who went here regret it immensely, and don't think you'll be the outlier, cause I thought that too and I'm not. Hamilton's is fun for a little while, but it gets lame quick. There are no real frats to foster any sort of party scene, and there are no sports to rally around--no football on the weekends. I know it sounds lame for me to complain about that, but it detracts substantially from the college experience since it is a centerpiece of socializing at larger schools. The school is a ghost town on the weekends. If you want a real college experience, please please listen to my warning: DO NOT GO TO LOYOLA, or any other school in the city for that matter.

Tl;dr-- You'd be paying an absurd amount of money to have a mediocre education at a university which does not offer a "true" college experience. I hope I've saved someone a lot of trouble.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2011
Surrounding City: A-, Individual Value: F
Compare LUC/Loyola-ChicagoSave LUC/Loyola-Chicago

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→