StudentsReview ™ :: Loyola University Chicago - Comments and Student Experiences

Loyola Marymount University -- Los Angeles, CA

Loyola University Chicago

I transferred to Loyola University from Benedictine Universi

Dec 04 2013Biology
I transferred to Loyola University from Benedictine University in Lisle. This has to be the best decision of my life.

Yes, the school is expensive, but you pay for what you get at Loyola.
I have met many great people and learned so much since I came here. I have grown as a person both socially and spiritually. I feel like I actually belong here. I am very outgoing and know a good number of people here, and I cannot say that the people here are snooty and arrogant like people make them out to be. There are of course some people who are like that (very much like that), but the majority of the people here are great. A lot of people from the suburbs like myself, but I have met a lot of out-of-state/international students as well.

The residence halls are beyond what I could have asked for; I feel like I live in a hotel. I have been to other residence halls, and while I would say that I got put into one of the nicest ones, the residence halls are pretty nice.

The food is really good for college food. You have a really wide selection, but finding something healthy can be tricky at times. I recommend going to Subway and the Gourmet Sandwiches shops near campus.

My classes have all been very, very hard. But I earned an A in every one but one (I have a B+ in organic chemistry). I personally enjoy the challenge; Loyola professors push you to do your very best, but they also help you whenever you ask for it. Of my six professors, I would say that five are good at teaching.

There is a lot to get involved in here, but unfortunately as a biology major it is hard to find the time to do so. I would have joined so many more clubs had I had the time, but I am currently in AMSA, the Italian Club, and the Residence Hall Association. All 3 have been positive experiences so far.That pretty much covers it. The school is not perfect, but it sure is very good. After coming from a school where I was miserable for a year, I can say that what you put in at Loyola is what you get out. Trust me, I know what a bad university is. And it is not Loyola.

1st Year Male -- Class 2016
Education Quality: A+, Perceived Campus Safety: C

The students are arrogant and full of themselves

Jul 23 2013Psychology
The students are arrogant and full of themselves. Many of them are aggressive and get in your face when you don't agree or don't live like them. Living with roommates is a nightmare; everyone drinks like a fish and has no concept of "enough." People are loud and drunk and obnoxious. They'll harass you if you don't act like a dumb, drunken, pot-head airhead. It's difficult to study and get things done living in this dysfunctional environment. I know some people say this is part of the "college experience," but it just goes too far. Not only do the people here have the emotional maturity of a 13 year old gossipy girl, but I constantly had my roommates friends coming into my room while I was sleeping. It was the most annoying thing I have ever experienced. Girls are really drunk, slutty, and annoying there......and this is coming from a girl. People smoke both cigarettes and pot here.....it's honestly appalling. Avoid Fordham Hall if you plan to attend Loyola; it is the loudest most drunken set of dorm rooms on campus. if you're into that though, go ahead, you'll have fun I guess. Also, try to stick with one roommate, I had three and it was a living hell. One in particular was a short, stupid ditzy girl who kept alcohol in her closet and was drunk 24/7. Aside from drinking, she enjoyed cooking at 2am hungover and singing Disney songs at 90 decibals. As for the financial aspect, the school costs a fortune and it would serve you best to go elsewhere. Tuition gets raised every year, and books are very expensive. Although the school is fairly generous with financial aid, you can go somewhere cheaper and get the same education. The academics are rigorous and do require ample study time, but that's most colleges. In my opinion, there are too many gen ed classes ("core classes."). You have to take freshman English seminar, 2 additional English classes, a math class, two history classes, two science classes, two societal classes, two philosophy classes, an ethics class, a language class, a lab/internship regardless or major (which is a good idea anyways), two theological classes, core "value" classes, etc........It's jut too many classes and it should be cut down so that more students can graduate in 4 years, I have heard horror stories of students being one or two classes away from graduation and having to stay for an extra semester and pay another whole semester of tuition. One good thing is that Loyola raised the maximum amount of credit hours per semester from 18 to 21, so you can take 7 classes instead of 6 or six classes and a lab/elective. If you can handle it, take advantage of that.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2015
Campus Aesthetics: A, Social Life: F
May 15 2013Agriculture/Horticulture

Loyola chicago literally is not a real school

5th Year Female -- Class 2018