StudentsReview :: Loyola University Chicago - Comments and Student Experiences

Loyola Marymount University -- Los Angeles, CA

Loyola University Chicago

Oct 23 2014Physical Therapy/Exercise Science
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I came from a community college and transferred to Loyola with a 3.67 GPA. Loyola started out fine at first, but just went downhill the further I reached the end of my semester. They screwed me over with my grants, getting a $7,000 down to a $1,000 within a couple weeks before school started. The writing center is helpful but you need a 1-2 weeks reservation that no one has time for. Classes are challenging and in order to pass them you have to pull all-nighters.
1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: D+
Aug 27 2014Political Science
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Warning: Do not go here. Don't even think about it. If I can steer one person away from this place, I will be happy. Again: DO NOT COME HERE.

Where to start? Let's start with the pros:

Good food in the dining halls. You shouldn't select a college because the food is good.
Lake Michigan. The lake is nice to look at and go to the beach, but again, that shouldn't be a hard selling point.

Chicago. This is a pro and a con: I love Chicago, but the city is not the place to spend college. I know that sounds strange, but it stifles the experience: you live among people of many ages and stages in their lives, and with that you lose the beauty that is when you live in a college town where the majority of people are there because the university is the center.

here we go...
Cons:
Classes: They're pointless. They're small which is nice or some, but feels like high school all over again.

Price: You're paying multiple times over what out-of-state tuition is for many MUCH BETTER, MORE FUN, MORE RECOGNIZED institutions.

Rogers park: Rogers park is not the worst neighborhood, but it definitely isn't the nicest. You have an influx of immigrants coupled with a high number of mentally ill homeless everywhere.

Academics: The classes aren't too tough, and there are limited research options. Go to a big public school because you'll have a ton more research opportunities.

Social life: Absolutely horrible!!!! The only *almost* saving grace for me was being an athlete. That was pretty nice because I had a group of friends always and something to do on weekends. I can't imagine how much worse it would have been without that. The campus is dead, there are no fun parties, and most people hole up in their dorms and drink, hoping not to get caught by an RA. How lame. Although I think that sometimes the media exaggerates how crazy the "college experience" is at times at large schools, this place is not even remotely close to that experience. The VAST majority of people who went here regret it immensely, and don't think you'll be the outlier, cause I thought that too and I'm not. Hamilton's is fun for a little while, but it gets lame quick. There are no real frats to foster any sort of party scene, and there are no sports to rally around--no football on the weekends. I know it sounds lame for me to complain about that, but it detracts substantially from the college experience since it is a centerpiece of socializing at larger schools. The school is a ghost town on the weekends. If you want a real college experience, please please listen to my warning: DO NOT GO TO LOYOLA, or any other school in the city for that matter.

Tl;dr-- You'd be paying an absurd amount of money to have a mediocre education at a university which does not offer a "true" college experience. I hope I've saved someone a lot of trouble.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2011
Surrounding City: A-, Individual Value: F
Dec 04 2013Biology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I transferred to Loyola University from Benedictine University in Lisle. This has to be the best decision of my life.

Yes, the school is expensive, but you pay for what you get at Loyola.
I have met many great people and learned so much since I came here. I have grown as a person both socially and spiritually. I feel like I actually belong here. I am very outgoing and know a good number of people here, and I cannot say that the people here are snooty and arrogant like people make them out to be. There are of course some people who are like that (very much like that), but the majority of the people here are great. A lot of people from the suburbs like myself, but I have met a lot of out-of-state/international students as well.

The residence halls are beyond what I could have asked for; I feel like I live in a hotel. I have been to other residence halls, and while I would say that I got put into one of the nicest ones, the residence halls are pretty nice.

The food is really good for college food. You have a really wide selection, but finding something healthy can be tricky at times. I recommend going to Subway and the Gourmet Sandwiches shops near campus.

My classes have all been very, very hard. But I earned an A in every one but one (I have a B+ in organic chemistry). I personally enjoy the challenge; Loyola professors push you to do your very best, but they also help you whenever you ask for it. Of my six professors, I would say that five are good at teaching.

There is a lot to get involved in here, but unfortunately as a biology major it is hard to find the time to do so. I would have joined so many more clubs had I had the time, but I am currently in AMSA, the Italian Club, and the Residence Hall Association. All 3 have been positive experiences so far.That pretty much covers it. The school is not perfect, but it sure is very good. After coming from a school where I was miserable for a year, I can say that what you put in at Loyola is what you get out. Trust me, I know what a bad university is. And it is not Loyola.

1st Year Male -- Class 2016