StudentsReview :: Moody Bible Institute - Comments and Student Experiences

Moody Bible Institute

Quite BrightReligion/Religious
Quite simply the best education available for those seeking to enter Christian ministry,
4th Year Male -- Class 2005
Education Quality: A+, Faculty Accessibility: B+
I came into Moody with the expectation thatQuite BrightReligion/Religious
I came into Moody with the expectation that it was going to be somewhat difficult, but I had no idea what the professors were go going to be like. I honestly thought they were going to be a bunch of snobs. To my surprise, I have met some of the most caring teachers. I am currently in the Children's Ministry program and couldn't be happier. The professors take their roles seriously, but are also deeply invested in the well being and success of their students. I am so blessed to be a student here. If you are considering going into full time ministry, this is the place to be.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
Education Quality: A+, Campus Maintenance: B+
This is my experience.Quite BrightReligion/Religious
This is my experience. I will try to be as honest and succinct as possible, while opening your eyes to see the world I saw.

I was ecstatic to have the opportunity to go to Moody. However, looking back after graduating over a year ago I am wondering, "What was I thinking?"

Coming in, I wanted to be trained as a pastor. The training I received was a lot of theory with minimal real-life application (IMO). Pastoral work is so hands-on that just sitting in lectures does not truly prep one for the work. Many classes were interesting but I definitely felt a lack from the experience side.

Socially, I felt out of place. It is an extremely conservative culture and I found myself unintentionally offending someone every day, it seemed. It is indeed a Christian bubble and with bro-sis, dorm living, and SDR I felt like I was back in high school. I did connect with a few people who became intimate friends so there is hope, for sure.

In the end, I realized most of what I learned here is not transferable in my day-to-day life. I could have learned more, I think, if I had an apprenticeship with a pastor in an elder-led church while taking SPECIFIC classes to equip me for pastoring. Truth is, I realized most churches seem to hire from the inside or through people they know.

Instead, I should have focused on using my early twenties to become skilled in an actual trade or career. This seems practical but it is wise. I have struggled immensely bouncing from meaningless work that pays scraps. Never have I had the opportunity to serve as a pastor despite a great internship at a very well-known church, awesome networking, and a strong desire to do so.So, now I am realizing I must make a change by either running a business or going to trade school. Where I am is not Moody's fault. I made the decision, somewhat naively, to pursue an education that does NOT prepare for a career. If you have a career, some extra money on the side, and a desire to be equipped for ministry work then Moody is an OK school to go to. I would strongly suggest to get wise counsel and reconsider going to Moody Bible Institute.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2013