StudentsReview :: Moody Bible Institute - Comments and Student Experiences

Moody Bible Institute

I came into Moody with the expectation that

Oct 22 2014Religion/Religious
I came into Moody with the expectation that it was going to be somewhat difficult, but I had no idea what the professors were go going to be like. I honestly thought they were going to be a bunch of snobs. To my surprise, I have met some of the most caring teachers. I am currently in the Children's Ministry program and couldn't be happier. The professors take their roles seriously, but are also deeply invested in the well being and success of their students. I am so blessed to be a student here. If you are considering going into full time ministry, this is the place to be.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
Education Quality: A+, Campus Maintenance: B+

My experience at Moody has been phenomenal! I'm

Aug 14 2013Psychology
My experience at Moody has been phenomenal! I'm going into my sophmore year, and I am so confident and ecstatic about being at Moody again. Yes, it's difficult to get adjusted at first to the big city, the smaller campus, and the new people, but you'll find that the campus becomes home, and you really make the city of Chicago your campus. The longer you're there, the more friends you'll make and the closer you'll get to people and Moody in general. The profs are knowledgeable and godly people, who, in my experience, have been very willing to talk and help.

There are many opportunities to get involved on campus - it just depends on whether you put yourself out there and get involved or not. If you don't make effort, then you'll end up cynical, disgruntled, and lonely, but it's really only your fault. Take a risk! Put yourself out there and join something! Moody's student body is diverse, and you can make some wonderful friends if you allow yourself to. No one is perfect, especially on a Christian campus, but the student body has truly tried to become more united this past year, and succeeded. Moody is a wonderful school if you are positive that you're called to ministry, and willing to focus on the Lord and not the little imperfections.

1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Scholastic Success: A-

This is my experience

Sep 03 2014Religion/Religious
This is my experience. I will try to be as honest and succinct as possible, while opening your eyes to see the world I saw.

I was ecstatic to have the opportunity to go to Moody. However, looking back after graduating over a year ago I am wondering, "What was I thinking?"

Coming in, I wanted to be trained as a pastor. The training I received was a lot of theory with minimal real-life application (IMO). Pastoral work is so hands-on that just sitting in lectures does not truly prep one for the work. Many classes were interesting but I definitely felt a lack from the experience side.

Socially, I felt out of place. It is an extremely conservative culture and I found myself unintentionally offending someone every day, it seemed. It is indeed a Christian bubble and with bro-sis, dorm living, and SDR I felt like I was back in high school. I did connect with a few people who became intimate friends so there is hope, for sure.

In the end, I realized most of what I learned here is not transferable in my day-to-day life. I could have learned more, I think, if I had an apprenticeship with a pastor in an elder-led church while taking SPECIFIC classes to equip me for pastoring. Truth is, I realized most churches seem to hire from the inside or through people they know.

Instead, I should have focused on using my early twenties to become skilled in an actual trade or career. This seems practical but it is wise. I have struggled immensely bouncing from meaningless work that pays scraps. Never have I had the opportunity to serve as a pastor despite a great internship at a very well-known church, awesome networking, and a strong desire to do so.So, now I am realizing I must make a change by either running a business or going to trade school. Where I am is not Moody's fault. I made the decision, somewhat naively, to pursue an education that does NOT prepare for a career. If you have a career, some extra money on the side, and a desire to be equipped for ministry work then Moody is an OK school to go to. I would strongly suggest to get wise counsel and reconsider going to Moody Bible Institute.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2013