StudentsReview :: Parkland College - Comments and Student Experiences

Parkland College

I attended a summer class at Parkland, and

Nov 11 2011Public Health
I attended a summer class at Parkland, and the faculty and staff 'stressed' student responsibility, when they themselves took little to no responsibility for their own work. I am a University student where I receive help and plenty of information and Parkland was not even close to where it should be with helpfulness or approach-ability. It was also quite a 'blow-off' school as a whole.
1st Year Female -- Class 2013
Surrounding City: C+, Education Quality: F

School mandates to register through Counselors until you

Apr 19 2011Accounting
School mandates to register through Counselors until you reach 30 credit hours. They see no more than 6 students per hour. Obviously there are so many students left out that need to come back and wait and wait. Registering should be an easy task and online. Counselors should be seen only per student request, not mandatory!!!
2nd Year Female -- Class 2012
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Individual Value: F

I know a handful of people who are

Mar 26 2013Psychology
I know a handful of people who are in the nursing program and are quite happy with their experiences at Parkland. But with that said, most people are like me who are just trying to get their gen eds out of the way and transfer to a 4 year.

Registration: It all starts with meeting the advisors, which during registration seems almost impossible but necessary since it's mandatory. I don't know how many times I've told them I don't want to transfer to UIUC, which results in them looking at me like I'm crazy.

Faculty: I've had great instructors, and then I've had instructors who chat the entire class period, and no that does not make the class easy because we still had quizzes every week, homework every night, and tests every chapter. It was a basically on your own class which I wish I would of known prior to registering. If you EVER have to meet with the math chairman, go prepared to face the rudest man at Parkland. I had to meet with him to get his permission to reassess to a higher math class. I saw down in his office and spent 15 minutes of him saying I need to rethink my future, how he doesn't think 4 year universities are for me, and how I am wasting his time. This was all because he pulled up my high school transcript and saw I got a D in geometry my sophomore year, I think he failed to notice I got A's in B's in all other math classes. I left his office more upset, humiliated and angry than I've been in a while. No student should be called "unintelligent" by a college faculty member.

Social Life: What social life? There is none. Unless you're coming here with high school friends. People will avoid interaction here at all costs, with exception to the occasional group project. You will see so many people stare at their iPhone's in a silent classroom while waiting for the instructor. You can show up to Parkland and leave without any conversation at all. I've gotten many strange looks from kids when I try to initiate conversation to get rid of the awkward silence. Students also tend to segregate themselves, whites stick with whites, hispanics stick with hispanics, and blacks stick with blacks. There is also a seating area that tends to be predominately black, me being white I made the mistake of sitting there my first day during break and got many threatening looks. Also, don't sit by the bookstore unless you like to play with Yugioh and Pokemon cards.

I absolutely dread waking up in the mornings and driving to Parkland, and as soon as I arrive, I look forward to my last class ending and getting off campus as soon as possible.

1st Year Male -- Class 2014